Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2003 5:55:07 AM EDT
I've been looking at tactical latches for a while now but have never used one.  Any brand you folks prefer ??  Is this one of those accessories worth buying.....or not ???

Thanks very much and I DO monitor my posts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I don't care for them.  I started a course recently with the Badger Tactical Latch on my new flattop (I borrowed the charging handle from my 20" flattop).

During those times the carbine was slung (Tactical Taylor 3pt sling) especially if I was moving a little bit the latch had a tendancy to grab on my shirt and unlatch.

The one thing you don't want is an unlatched charging handle when you go to fire that first round.  OUCH!  I found the charging handle unlatched several times (somtimes just as I was ready to fire).   It would also occasionally catch on my 3 point sling.  At the end of the first day I swapped out the 'enhanced' charging handle for the standard one on my backup carbine.

Now if I keep my rifle in my hands and never sling it - the extended latch does make life easier when you have to use the charging handle.  However given the problem I had with it when the rifle was slung I'm not using it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.........Anyone use????
View Quote

not anymore
ed; I'm using the PRI big latch on three rigs (thanks HKocher)
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Badger and a PRI.  

Both these rifles have optics and I am left handed, so I feel that benefits of the oversized latch far out weighs any downsides.

I have yet to snag the Badger on any clothing, branches, etc.  That being said, I can definitely see how it could happen.  So if I had to do it again, I would use the PRI for all my rifles since its design seems more 'snag-proof' to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Like HKocher, I'm a lefty too.  I haven't had any problems at all with the Badger that I have installed.  
I can see how it could get in the way for someone who shoots right handed.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've found a source for the Badger - anyone have a link to look at the PRI  ??
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=167094]Adrenaline_Arms[/url] on the EE!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The precision reflex gas buster is an excellent charging handle, my came from Wes @ [url]www.mstn.biz[/url] for 90 dollars. it has the military latch on it.  you can buy the latch seperately from him and it will cost somewhere in the 25 dollars range.  

I also have a badger, but that is on my SPR where I use it mainly for 3gun, the handle is very fast, faster then the PRI but it does snag as posted by Forest.  I replace rest of my guns with PRI military latch and one of the gun I upgraded to the gas bluster.

[url]http://www.pri-mounts.com/catalog/ar15_-_m16_accessories_261649_products.htm[/url]
PRI site with all their M16 accessories.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The precision reflex gas buster is an excellent charging handle, my came from Wes @ [url]www.mstn.biz[/url] for 90 dollars. it has the military latch on it.  you can buy the latch seperately from him and it will cost somewhere in the 25 dollars range.  

I also have a badger, but that is on my SPR where I use it mainly for 3gun, the handle is very fast, faster then the PRI but it does snag as posted by Forest.  I replace rest of my guns with PRI military latch and one of the gun I upgraded to the gas bluster.

[url]http://www.pri-mounts.com/catalog/ar15_-_m16_accessories_261649_products.htm[/url]
PRI site with all their M16 accessories.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

SMGLee, thanks much for the comments and links.  Figures that Wes would have something both good and relatively expensive !!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the PRI Gasbuster w/big latch and I like that design myself.

As others have noted the Badger pokes out quite a bit and eventually because of the increased leverage on the fulcrum, you shear the roll pin that holds it into the charging handle and the latch falls out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the PRI Gasbuster w/big latch and I like that design myself.

As others have noted the Badger pokes out quite a bit and eventually because of the increased leverage on the fulcrum, you shear the roll pin that holds it into the charging handle and the latch falls out.
View Quote

So the Big Latch works in conjunction with the Gas Buster.  Does Big Latch also work as a stand alone product ??
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a Badger Ordnance tactical latch its kinda painful if it jabs you when your strapped in without body armor and I wont lie I dont have body armor but I saw a interesting latch in my Brownells catalog the other day - described as 'the military' latch and I may get one it looks lower in profile and overall height than the Badger. The 'military'latch doesn't appear to have as much surface/contact area on it , but does seem to have the ability to stab .  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I ordered my Bushy  from the factory with their tac latch,
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I probably should have posted earlier that I'm likely the last person on the planet not using a tactical sling of some sort.  I use a plain old over the shoulder when I do sling my rifle which is not very often.  Grew up in very rural South Alabama and always carried my gun in my hands when in the woods.  Old habits are hard to break.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
So the Big Latch works in conjunction with the Gas Buster. Does Big Latch also work as a stand alone product ??
View Quote

Yes, in fact the big latch alone in a standard military charging handle works just fine and is a lot cheaper than the Gasbuster which really doesn't offer much besides the big latch if you aren't using a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree with Forest.  I'm right handed and it would always pop loose when carrying in sling position.  

My shooting partner RUINED HIS UPPER by the constant motion of walking with the latch doing little figure-eights on his abdomen.  This action caused the latch tooth to wear away the aluminum detent machined into the upper.

I have taken mine off and it is sitting in a parts box.

If you are a lefty or never use a sling, go for it.  Otherwise spend the extra money on something else.

Just my opinion.

Chris K  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...Grew up in very rural South Alabama and always carried my gun in my hands when in the woods.  Old habits are hard to break.

5sub
View Quote

All of the posts of yours I have read & I never realized you were a 'Bama boy!  Where'd you grow up?  (My apologies for the brief hijack!)

Richard aka "NickFury" in beautiful Slapout, Alabama
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I like them, but I'm pretty much a range whore...not a whole lot of tactical style deployments in my neighborhood lol.  If you shoot scope rifles, they make it much easier to charge the weapon...but I can certainly see how they'd snag/poke you if you use a sling a lot.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Badger Tac Latch on mine.  A little trick they showed me at Blackwater is to turn the rifle under, having the tac latch pointing out when you drop your weapon, for transitioning to your side arm or just running.  It not only keps the tac latch from snagging and jabbing you in the ribs, but it also locks the rifle in better with the sling so it won't bounce as you walk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Grew up in very rural South Alabama and always carried my gun in my hands when in the woods.  Old habits are hard to break.

5sub
View Quote

All of the posts of yours I have read & I never realized you were a 'Bama boy!  Where'd you grow up?  (My apologies for the brief hijack!)

Richard aka "NickFury" in beautiful Slapout, Alabama
View Quote

Nick, grew up in Monroe County and went to go school in Excel which at that time had a population of about 380.  Population has since exploded to around 500 !!  (Monroe County is roughly 90 miles south of Montgomery and 90 miles north of Mobile.)

Tom Boothe
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#21]
i don't like them, they poke my beer gut.
i fell once and the latch poked me in the ribs.  almost took the wind out of me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nick, grew up in Monroe County and went to go school in Excel which at that time had a population of about 380.  Population has since exploded to around 500 !!  (Monroe County is roughly 90 miles south of Montgomery and 90 miles north of Mobile.)

Tom Boothe
View Quote

I'm very familiar with the area - have good friends in Escambia County, just south of Monroe County.  Slapout is in Elmore County, about 100 miles NE of where you grew up - just about halfway between Montgomery & Clanton.  It is also VERY rural (as if you couldn't tell from the name!).  Thanks!

Richard Burleson
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got Badger's on my scoped ARs and PRI's Big Latches on my field models.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to like the Badger and worked around the snagging issue.  It snagged consistantly enough that it was wearing the retaining notch in the reciever.  I switched to the PRI latch and havent looked back since.  Its perfectly sized and works well around the ARMS 40.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
What is it about the gas buster design that makes it better then a standard charging handle. Is it just a name or does it actually work better? Can you add the badger latch to a gas buster changing handle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the reply Troy, but how does the Badger latch damage the rifle's upper. Are you refering to more wear where the latch locks into place? I'm interested now in buying one but I would like to know why this handle cost $90.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree with Forest.  I'm right handed and it would always pop loose when carrying in sling position.  

My shooting partner RUINED HIS UPPER by the constant motion of walking with the latch doing little figure-eights on his abdomen.  This action caused the latch tooth to wear away the aluminum detent machined into the upper.

If you are a lefty or never use a sling, go for it.  Otherwise spend the extra money on something else.

Just my opinion.

Chris K  
View Quote

Damn Skippy. The Badger latch will get caught on every fucking thing in Every fucking place[pissed] and will wear down/smooth the wall on the charging latch notch wall on the upper leaving bits of grinded off aluminum untill you need to replace the WHOLE upper cause the latch doesn't have a notch to catch anywhere![pissed] Biggest piece of useless fucking junk I've ever put on any weapon.[pissed] Sorry for the vent.

Edited to add:That thing was an ABOMINATION/CURSE[pissed] and would not even leave me when I tried for a year to sell the little piece of$#$$%&*^$#@Shit![pissed] I finally last week traded it for a Bugarian AK Mag.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]
When I ran a CQB Solutions three point sling, my Badger tac latch caught on everything and poked all the time. Now I've got a Wilderness singlepoint, and those problems have pretty much disappeared.

I guess it's all the geometry of where the weight hangs, how it's balanced and where that applies pressure to the weapon. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my opinion.

Chris K  
View Quote

Damn Skippy. The Badger latch will get caught on every fucking thing in Every fucking place[pissed] and will wear down/smooth the wall on the charging latch notch wall on the upper leaving bits of grinded off aluminum untill you need to replace the WHOLE upper cause the latch doesn't have a notch to catch anywhere![pissed] Biggest piece of useless fucking junk I've ever put on any weapon.[pissed] Sorry for the vent.

Edited to add:That thing was an ABOMINATION/CURSE[pissed] and would not even leave me when I tried for a year to sell the little piece of$#$$%&*^$#@Shit![pissed] I finally last week traded it for a Bugarian AK Mag.
View Quote

IronB., just wondered how you REALLY feel about the Badger !!

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
There's nuthin' worse,IMHO.........well maybe a prolapsed Rectum![:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all the help !!

I'm going to print this off tomorrow and then start ordering at least a couple of latches.  These days I scope about everything I shoot so I'll take that into consideration.

As usual, the level of knowledge here impresses me. I thought this topic would generate maybe five or six replies.  Wrong again !!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#35]
How hard is it to replace just to latch on the charging handles?

I recently installed a new RRA charging handle fitted with a Badger Tac Latch onto my RRA M4 Tac Entry LE rifle. I like how big the latch is and easy to get to, especially in the dark with gloves, but I quickly found that (when using it with a 3 point sling) when I tried to sling it over my shoulder to grab my handgun, it would get caught on my vest carrier, duty belt, and just about everything else.

I would like to try out a different latch without having to replace my RRA charging handle(s). Thanks for any and all info on the installation of a new latch.

Also, I am assuming the PRI latch is the currently used/favored aftermarket latch? Any links or online places to purchase one?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#36]
http://www.mstn.biz/
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
piece of useless junk

It is!
[s]Gave it[/s] Sold it!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#38]
LPD111:

All you need is a small enough punch to drive out the roll pin that holds the latch on. Be careful not to let the spring fly free!

Put the new latch in there with the spring in place and push the roll pin back in. It helps to grow a third arm for this step. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Alright, I don't get it! Why would anyone want to add more stuff to get in the way? If there is a problem, such as using a suppressor, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, it seems that It's just more things to go wrong. Am I missing something here? Please somebody explain, seriously. (no Sarcasm, just really don't get it). [:\]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Alright, I don't get it! Why would anyone want to add more stuff to get in the way? If there is a problem, such as using a suppressor, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, it seems that It's just more things to go wrong. Am I missing something here? Please somebody explain, seriously. (no Sarcasm, just really don't get it). [:\]
View Quote

M4_Man, I do believe I can explain it to you.
Please read your sig line !!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Actually, for me the PRI big latch is not a toy.  The ARMS 40 combined with a GG&G single point sling attachment make using the standard latch difficult, especially with gloves.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I went to a carbine class and they were real big on running the bolt with your left hand. Not grabbing both sides of the charging handle, but only the left side of the charging handle. I am a big believer in the single point sling. When I quickly ran the charging handle from the left side, my fingernail sometimes caught on the single point attachment plate. So, I got a different attachment plate that angles down (Daniel Defense) and a big charging handle latch. Problem gone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Saturday, I just received in the mail my M84 Gas Buster charging handle with the Military Big latch and replaced my Badger tactical latch. I used a thumbtack and small hammer. The thumbtack is small enough to fit within the hole without damaging the charging handle and tap lightly until the pin pops out.

The gas buster charging handle is a great design, but the jury is still out on whether it's worth the money. However the Military Big latch is a better option in preventing snags.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I had the opportunity of using a rifle with a PRI latch over the weekend.

[b]BIG - BIG[/b] improvement over the badger latch, and a definate improvment over the standard latch.

I'm going to order a few ASAP!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#46]
5subsir5
I just ordered from Brownells a 'flat tac-latch' - will let you know how it does should have it tonight tomorrow .
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm using the PRI biglatch on my flattop. No complaints..
Mark
[x]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
5subsir5
I just ordered from Brownells a 'flat tac-latch' - will let you know how it does should have it tonight tomorrow .
View Quote

Thanks !
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I went home at lunch time and the mailman left me a package from Brownells I will install the tac-latch tonight and let you know. At a first glance it has a larger gripping surface for a right handed charge but does not have that deadly handle thats on the Badger Ordnance tac-latch, the index finger on my right hand will have adequate gripping surface. Brownells' had a military latch that appeared from the grainy 1" by 1" photo in the catalog ,to have the finger area rolled into wide non-cornered gripping surface . We'll see let you know -bro'  
     PS.
since the tac-latch was offered with a charging handle and I passed on it I'll bet I try to install it and it will only fit that charging handle that was offered - whatta wanna bet !!!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had the opportunity of using a rifle with a PRI latch over the weekend.

[b]BIG - BIG[/b] improvement over the badger latch, and a definate improvment over the standard latch.

I'm going to order a few ASAP!
View Quote

Looks as if the PRI is the general consensus.  I too am gonna order a couple.

(HAMMERDROP, I would still like to know how your Brownell's purchase turns out.)

[b]Fellow members as always I THANK you for your help !![/b]  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top