Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 5:32:52 PM EDT
Maybe it's late or im just retarded. The simplest things seem to always hold up progress on the AR. The allen wrench I have is too short to reach the bolt. What the hell is the right tool for the job??

Thanks, DD out!!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
GO TO THE HARDWARE STORE AND GET A T HANDLE ALLEN WENCH, I MEAN WRENCH.
Jack
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The correct tool is a proper length allen wrench.  I haven't seen any specialized tools if that is what you are asking.
When i put my hogue grip on, the allen
wrenches i had were plenty long.  How long is the one you have?  

-DEERSNIPER
[SNIPER]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't found any wrenches that wouldn't fit, though some were close.  I prefer using an Allen bit in a ratchet screwdriver.

Edited to add that the above is for removing the Allen screw, which is then tossed in the parts bin and replaced with the correct screw that can be installed and removed with a flat-head screwdriver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. These sets have a bit that you use with the "screwdriver" handle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Home Depot had a set of long allen wrenches that fit.  Comes in a set of 7 (1/4, 7/32, 3/16, 5/32, 1/8, 3/32 and 5/64) in a yellow holder.  Wasn't very expensive IIRC and did the trick.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If you really need to get it off now, just find a screw driver blade just small enough to fit into the hex, and turn the nut...they're usually not that tight...then go buy a good set of allen wrenches tomorrow!  

I have the set Engineer is talking about, in SAE and Metric...they're indispensible.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GO TO THE HARDWARE STORE AND GET A T HANDLE ALLEN WENCH, I MEAN WRENCH.
Jack
View Quote

What he said. T-handles have good reach and you can put good torque in them. I believe the correct size is 3/16".
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Car keys.  Use them to go to the store and buy the right tool.  Good excuse to get a new tool, and while you're there you better buy some punches, a vice, brass hammer, dremel tool and attachments, ... [:D]

Oh yeah, a riding lawnmower so you have more time to shoot and work on your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Harbor freight sells a cheap set of T handles hex wrenches for about $3.95. I bought a set to loan out when someone wants to borrow one. Keeps my snap ons safe!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Use a medium sized flat blade and it works just fine and won't strip the allen head
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Craftsman makes some extra long allen wrenches.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Forget the grip. You don't need it. Now you can have that bayonette lug we all want so much.

Pete
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Car keys.  Use them to go to the store and buy the right tool.  Good excuse to get a new tool, and while you're there you better buy some punches, a vice, brass hammer, dremel tool and attachments, ... [:D]

Oh yeah, a riding lawnmower so you have more time to shoot and work on your rifle.
View Quote

[ROFL2]  [LOLabove]
Bob you crack me up...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the responses gents. Im going to buy the big gunsmith screwdriver set from Brownell's today and I should be good to go.

What is the consensus on the complete AR-15 tool kit that Brownell's offers?

Is purchasing that kit a value or would it be better to buy each individual tool piece by piece?

I plan on putting together lot's of AR's in the near future so cost is not an issue, buying the right gear the first time is.

Thanks again, DD out!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#16]
"[b]Metrinch[/b]" set, allen head bit in screwdriver.

[img]http://www.mitools.com/images/tools1.GIF[/img]

FWIW, for $125 (which is what I paid off TV), this is best portable tool set on the market. Fits SAE and Metric both and in the 6-8 years I been using it on autos, motorcycles, lawn-mowers, tractors, household appliances or my weapons, sockets or wrenches have NEVER rounded off or ruined a bolt or nut. In fact some messed up nuts and bolts have been removed using this set.

Read 21 reviews of product above here: [url]http://www.urateit.com/showreview.asp?id=44[/url].

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Go to a pawn shop and just by one or two 3/16" T handle hex wrenches cheap, no need to waste money on a whole set of hex wrenches when you only need one size !

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know about the whole Brownell's AR tool set...there's a lot of stuff you probably won't need.  

What I've found that you pretty much have to have:

armorers wrench...I got the DPMS, it does everything
roll pin punches
roll pin starter punches
hockey puck (bench block)
brass/plastic hammer

I've been able to do the kind of stuff you need to do to build a kit, install/uninstall barrels, CAR stocks, and change float tubes, with the aforementioned tools.  
Oh yeah, don't forget the allen wrenches lol.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top