Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 8:13:43 AM EDT
My brother-in-law sent me this link to an article in DefenseWatch

It appears that the website is closely connected with Col. Hackworth FWIW. I just read it and thought it sounded interesting. In particular, read the part about the XM-107's effectiveness: "My spotter positively identified a target at 1400 meters carrying an RPG on a water tower. I engaged the target. The top half of the torso fell forward out of the tower and the lower portion remained in the tower." YIKES!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
What a great post!

"The lessons were gathered from 5 through 10 May 2003 from soldiers serving in the Baghdad sector during Operation Iraqi Freedom."

I'm sorry, but the buck stops there!
We all type to each other about our experiences, with our various toys, but our heros in time of war are the BEST judge of all this equipment. GOD BLESS AMERICA! GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY!

Ronnie Barrett must be proud.

Spooge Out!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Duplicate Thread...somebody had one of these Soldiers for the truth threads up last night.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
interesting read
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
M-249 SAW in a previous report written by a couple or three captains, the Marines had problems with accessories falling off their weapons.  (Don't know if the Marine SAW's were worn out prior to battle or not but that's was what was reported.)

The Marines and those Special Forces in Afghanistan all reported displeasure with the Beretta 9mm.

CLP gets whacked again.  I believe ArmaLite posted in one of their Tech Notes in maybe 1999(?) that CLP was a solution to nothing.

Interesting post and new to me.  THANKS zhukov !
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]

There is also a significant safety issue that bears further investigation. Apparently when the M4 selector is in the "Safe" position and the bolt is allowed to ride forward, the firing pin still makes contact with the bullet primer. A CSM in the 101st related a story of a soldier who had an accidental discharge while his weapon was in the safe position - the CSM personally witnessed this incident. Numerous soldiers showed us bullets in their magazines that had small dents in the primer. There may be a "Safety of Use" message out on this issue but it is not well known at the battalion-and-below level.
View Quote

This is the sort of crap that removes STFF.Org from consideration as a REAL source of any weapons/ammo related information... The poor writer, having to try and understand those new-fangled AR's...  sheesh...

edited to remove attitude...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I stopped paying attention to anything Hackworth is associated with about a year and a half ago.  While I respect his record as a combat soldier, his military commentaries slid down hill from respectable to silly over the past couple of years.  If these people are making a to do over what has always been a characteristic of the AR/M16 series, the only thing it tells me is that Hackworth's silliness has spread to those who are associated w/him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I stopped paying attention to anything Hackworth is associated with about a year and a half ago.  While I respect his record as a combat soldier, his military commentaries slid down hill from respectable to silly over the past couple of years.  If these people are making a to do over what has always been a characteristic of the AR/M16 series, the only thing it tells me is that Hackworth's silliness has spread to those who are associated w/him.
View Quote

I've read a couple of his books, and I too was wondering where he's heading too. As a combat soldier, he was/is obviously a legend. But it also sounds like he's taking his little stand to extremes, like moving to Australia and all that stuff. Of course I haven't had to go through the persecution he went through, and that might make me a little jaded too. Still, you think he could've handled it better. Maybe he's gotten a little too commercialized for his own good lately....
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Some years back I saw Col. Hackworth briefly appear drunk on CNN.  Very embarrassing as he could hardly talk.  Hopefully he has things under better control these days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't comment on Col. Hackworth; but the stuff coming out of SFTT doesn't even hold up to Weekly World News level of quality.

I saw a complaint on SFTT about the Trijicon sights where they said that they had poor battery life. [>:/]

Right below that was a paragraph praising the much maligned Leupold CQT and linking to people who sold it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top