Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2003 6:41:37 PM EDT
What first made you get into the AR scene, what was your first "Black Rifle"?

For me it was just something I always wanted, I had 2 MAK-90's I sold off soon after I caught the AR bug, never regretted it and never looked back.

My first AR was a Bushmaster A2 I picked up off my friend who was desperate for cash, I stole it for $600. Soon sold the A2 upper and popped on a ex-USGI A1 upper.

Tropic
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Marine Corps Infantry

They made me like it!  Now I'm Hooked.  Not that I am complaining.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Spade, who posts on these forums, posted on another one. My dad and brother both bought shotguns a while ago, but Spade made it clear that I could own cooler guns than just the regular old hunting stuff.

I did some research, figured out what was legal, and read everythign on the ar15.com link Spade gave me.

I just bought my upper and lower a few weeks ago and have started shooting. And a good time was had by all, the end :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My cousin let me fire his M-16 on FA

at night

with a full mag of tracers!
I was hooked.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Seeing it in numerous drive by bayonettings, of course!

But seriously, seeing it in Hollywood, and in the military, and at gun shows, and saying "damn!"

I always knew what an "M16" was, but never any specifics, just that they were "machine guns."

Now I know that they cost more than a king's ransom, are avail. in semi-auto as well, and are very functional and COOL weapons at that!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched the movie "The Postman", staring Kevin Costner.  I'd seen the movie several years back but after 9/11, seeing the movie again gave me a different perspective on things.

Big Al
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
bvm, that is clearly unfair.  COndolences.

I have no idea why I first wanted one.  Bought a BM basic rifle 5  years ago, and now I'm hooked.  Pathetic hobby.   I can't stop.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=4601&iGalleryUnq=701&iImageUnq=15103[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
First when I saw a Lava commercial showing an Armalite employee test firing an AR-180 in the pouring rain, full auto, prone postion, at night. 1963 commercial? Great commercial! Then I saw the real deal, SP-1 at the sporting goods store in the middle of town-1966. finally in the early 80s, I bought one-it went down hill after that!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Check my member stats - I signed up as a member of AR15.COM in Sept 2001.

It was 911 that made me get interested in AR's.  Before 911, I thought pistols was all that I would ever need to defend me and my family.  Then our "new reality" arrived in the form of 911.  While I sit there watching the events unfold on live television as the planes terrorized New York and America, I had chills run down my spine.  My pistol was now very inadequate in protecting me.  I decided then and there while watching this live coverage of the 911 terrorism that I was going to buy many AR15's for my protection in this "new world" that we now live in.  Sad !!!!

Within two months of 911, I purchased a Bushmaster M4.  A year later, I got a Bushmaster 16" Shorty HBAR.  Recently got a Bushmaster Super Light 16".  Next month, I am getting a Bushmaster 20".  Plans for the next one after this is a home-assembled 16" with an A-1 upper using all Bushmaster components / assemblies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Right out of the Birth canal I[:D].......well
It was the FIRST rifle I seriously recognized!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I always saw this toy M-16 in toy stores when I was young (mid 80's..85-86), and always wanted one, but never got one due to how expensive it was.  Now here I am with a real toy =O)
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Black Hawk Down & watching Iraqi Freedom on Fox News!    Before that I'd always been into cowboy shooting & black powder.   Fondled a BM at the local gun shop and came back the next week and bought it.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of fondling an M1A this past weekend....
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always saw this toy M-16 in toy stores when I was young (mid 80's..85-86), and always wanted one, but never got one due to how expensive it was.  Now here I am with a real toy =O)
View Quote

Like this ???

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/29789246.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Needed a semi-auto back-up weapon to compliment my SWS...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
well i always saw it at the gunshop and always wanted one. every time i would go in i would hold it and look at it. so i only have 1 and thats a bushmaster shorty ak. but i plan on getting a few more!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Like this ???

[url]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/29789246.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Hey!  I had one of those in '69 or '70.  Too bad Mom threw it out, it's probably worth a buck or two now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Since i was a little boy i always wanted an "army gun."  My dad said if i gave him a logical reason to get one then i could.  I said somthing to the effect of, "Well since I will be going into the military oneday then if i already knew how to use the weapon then i could spend more time studing instead of messing with learning about the weapon."    all in all i got my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Playing Army when I was a little boy, Grand pa made me go to a military academy during my elementary school years, I had a shooting mentor since I was 20, he is a C3 dealer.  it is just a natural progression.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah something like that except it didnt have a sound box.  It just made clicks when you pulled the trigger.  I had just about every other toy gun made except an M-16.  had a m60, uzi, RPG, M-9, ect..ect..
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Couldn't care less about the EBR's until I got interested in USPSA competition.
AR15's I now realize are pretty fun little shooters.
Let's play!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I was one of those philosophically inclined teenagers who concluded that the RKBA was important and necessary to prevent tyrnnay and the NWO (I was exposed to some R wing TBN watching pentecostals in some formative years) before I ever owned or even shot arms, and so too I was not in to any hunting etc.  Eventually I actualized my political beliefs, (and included in them some more practical elements like simple self-defense from thugs/criminals) and begand aquiring.  When I finally got my first AR (SP1), I got one of the worse case of BRD (black rifle disease) ever.  It is a wierd disease b/c I don't seem to want the cure, eventhough it can be alittle hard on me at times.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Simply put: I wanted to buy an "assault rifle" before someone says I can't buy one. You just never know what the politicians are going to do next.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have no idea why I first wanted one.  Bought a BM basic rifle 5  years ago, and now I'm hooked.  Pathetic hobby.   I can't stop.
View Quote

If it's such a pathetic hobby, than feel free to rid yourself of such things - by giving them to me - and start, oh, stamp collecting or something.

[:D]
-Lee
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I always liked playing army. I had the blue and black M16. I saw SP1s at Oshmans and knew it was cool. I wont get in to SWAT TV show. That was it. But on May 5th, 1994 congress signed a bill which said they didnt want me to have one. I went to the gun store and asked the guy "Show mw one of those guns.". The rest is history.
GG
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Going to shoot at the indoor range/gun store with my dad. When ya walk in they had them all on a rack right in your face. After looking at them every single time got to thinking more and more about them and BLAM hit with BRD! I've only got one but got plenty 'o plans for the future.(Bushmaster 20")
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
[IMG]http://www.wolfsden3.homestead.com/files/OtherPhotos/Scenes/apocalypse.jpg[/IMG]

I was 9 when it came out.  Made an impression.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I shot competitively when I was in Highschool, and a couple of summers I was fortunate enough to fire an M-16 at an ROTC leadership course at Ft.Lewis, Washington. I volunteered to load 30rd magazines for the rest of the course students, some 300 magazines total. After a few of us loaded magazines all day (the old fashioned way), we were given the privelidge of expending the remaining ammo ourselves and were allowed to do it on full auto if we wanted. Then we cleaned the M-16's and returned them to the Armory officer for inspection. That was the last time I held a "black rifle", and after seeing the M4 everywhere in Afghanistan, the urge was too great to resist. The gravitaional pull slowly sucked me back in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's such a pathetic hobby, than feel free to rid yourself of such things - by giving them to me - and start, oh, stamp collecting or something.

[:D]
-Lee
View Quote

If I'm ever cured of this desease, you'll be the first I tell.  Course, you need to move to a free state before I could give you any of the rifles in that picture.  [:D]

I left CA 5 years ago and never owned an evil black rifle.  At that time I had a M1 carbine and Mini 14. Can you still buy/own those there?

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I am still waiting for my first AR, RRA 20" HBAR.

I have been buying firearms and creating quite a collection for 5 years now,(since I turned 18).  I have been in college and unable to afford the coolest looking, highly accurate, scare the hell out of the liberals rifle.  Now I can sort of afford them, my first is on order, many will follow.

Attracted by looks, love sealed by the AR's performance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Never really gave them a second look since I really just bought and owned hunting rifles, then I got an invite to a Tactical Match (4 gun) and all I had a was a FP9 and a H&K USP.  It was a serious and then fun match where a couple of Marines, LEO, Vietnam Vets got to bring out their toys and let anyone play with them, M60D, many M4s M16A1, Swedish-K, crates of ammo and some kick @$$ gumbo.  One of the the guys named Doc works for a company that makes the M4 barrels and they give him barrels and tell him to try and melt it (he has yet to melt one down on many many consecutive mag dumps)  The barrels are only available to the military unfortuantely.  Well anyway, For the rifle walk he gave me one of his M4s and then it was all down hill from tehre.  Full auto fil do that to you. After that I bought my First Bushy and now it has multiplied to 2 and I cannot seem to find a reason NOT to have more, dam BRD.

Great post by the way, it is cool to think back about these things.  Thanks,
E-
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#30]
A friend of mine let me shoot his AR one day on the hill.  After that it was all over with, I had to have one and got it at the next gun show.  I grew up shooting guns but never owned my own until the last couple of years.

BTW: My AR15 M4 type was my first ever firearm purchase.  I have two now and several other firearms.  Wouldn't trade it for anything...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I purchased my first Colt Sporter Hbar in 1992.  I just liked the look of a gun used by the U.S. Military.  Then, I bought an M1A and loved that.  Then the nasty AWB was coming into law.  So, I did the most natural thing.  I purchased another being a bushmaster.  Love that snake logo. But before I was cured of my virus, I went to purchased a new colt 9mm carbine.

My bushmaster lower with Colt M4 16" upper is new, unfired.

My Colt 9mm AR-15 is NIB.  Love to fondle that.

I bought my last two because the government was saying I was not allowed to buy them anymore.  I got pissed.

I live in California where 12-31-00, the dept of justice required registration of all assualt weapons.  They estimate 85% did not.  I did.  So, I can go shoot my evil black rifles anywhere as long as I keep that little piece of paper saying they are registered.

Various uppers, sites, scopes, safe, ammo, slings, etc.  I am going broke but loving it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I purchased my first Colt Sporter Hbar in 1992.  I just liked the look of a gun used by the U.S. Military.  Then, I bought an M1A and loved that.  Then the nasty AWB was coming into law.  So, I did the most natural thing.  I purchased another being a bushmaster.  Love that snake logo. But before I was cured of my virus, I went to purchased a new colt 9mm carbine.

My bushmaster lower with Colt M4 16" upper is new, unfired.

My Colt 9mm AR-15 is NIB.  Love to fondle that.

I bought my last two because the government was saying I was not allowed to buy them anymore.  I got pissed.

I live in California where 12-31-00, the dept of justice required registration of all assualt weapons.  They estimate 85% did not.  I did.  So, I can go shoot my evil black rifles anywhere as long as I keep that little piece of paper saying they are registered.

Various uppers, sites, scopes, safe, ammo, slings, etc.  I am going broke but loving it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I got my first one four years ago, about the time I realized just how badly a government can trample a persons God given rights.  I figure any persons #1 right is that of life, and the police aren't going to be there to protect it.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#34]
When the first assault weapons ban was being talked about back in 88 or so.

I bought an M1A back in 82 fresh out of college.  My graduation present to my self.  I shot an M14 in the Army and just thought it was a cool rifle.

Then the rumors of bans started after some fruit cake shot up that McDonalds some where.  I also shot the M16 in the Army and figured I better get one before you couldn't get one anymore.

That was 3 prebans 2 post bans an AR10 and Garand ago.

Now my goal is a Fan Of Freedom, one standard issue military rifle of every kind the US Army used.  I have an original Remington Zouave, an orginal Springfield Trap Door (given to my dad by the guy who dragged it up San Juan Hill), a Springfield 03, a Garand, an M1A, 5 AR-15s.

I need to get an Brown Bess for the Revolutionary War era but will probably have to settle for a reproduction.  Also need an '03A3 to go with that Garand.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#35]
what pushed me over the edge to actually buy one? well you damn guys and this fing website! no im broke all the time, and when i do have money its gone to parts or ammo! damn i love this [beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a Colt carbine in 1980 and then bought an AR-180.  Sold the Colt kept the AR-180 and have been hooked on ArmaLite primarily but plenty of other AR's too since that time.  I honestly don't know how many AR's I've owned over the years.  (And really probably shouldn't think about how many !!)
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Boot camp, 1971. I gotta have on of these:)
My first AR, Colt SP1, NIB, 3-20 round mags & sling. $290.00!!! should have bought a truck load, but heck I was lucky to be able to buy one.

Rick
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I always liked military stuff when I was a kid and read a lot of books and built a lot of models (fighters, tanks, warships).

I bought my first rifle in 1979, a Colt SP1 from Edelman's on Long Island. Thinking back now, I was lucky that my Mom did not complain since I did not tell her before hand that I was buying one. I remember watching the movie Aliens afterward and thinking how glad I was that I now had this gun in case I met any creatures like the one from the movie.

I actually liked the FAL more but I could not afford one. I paid around $350 for the SP1. I think that the FAL was around $1500.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Uncle Osama - the bastard
  I became familiar with them in the USMC but I was always a pistol guy had/have several but when I saw those planes in those towers I told my wife "If I have to defend you using my daddy's shotgun I will be pissed off doing it so you might want to stay clear of me" ... I had a friend that had a safe full of AR15's in all configurations and he was always offering me one cheap and I always declined (massive amount of scar tissue on my ass from kickin myself there) thought I would never need one I guess that makes me guilty of taking my freedom for granted. I told her I just wanted a basic model to have in the closet in case... well that was almost $3k ago in accessories uppers lowers and ammo I got the fever and have it bad. But it serves several purposes I became acquainted with all my bro's @AR15.com I get all the looks at the range and I know if SHTF I will know I am prepared , because all those pistols did not make me feel safe after 911 .  My current rig is an RRA A3M4 w/ match trigger  Badger Ordnance A2 stock with hi-sling mount and a tactical latch and Ergo grip ambi. Up top Trijicon Tritium n/s's an Eotech 511 w/ARMS#40 buis - First Samco M44 four rail handguards and foregrip Eagle tac 3point sling  w/BMAS front sight mount. And to me that is security .
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]
An interesting story...

Not really.

When I was 15 my dad purchased an AK, a SAR-1.
I thought, cool...
At the time I was heavy into a computer game called "Counter-Strike" and "Firearms". Both modifications of a game called half life. Firearms most of all MADE me get one as it had the most realistic weapons models I had ever seen. I always used the m16 and thought... hmm i need one of those to counteract the AK.

So I purchased a 700 buck used bushy AR 16 inch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I frequently played with airsoft guns when I was in 5~8th grade. Then I got tired of it since most of them were flimsy. I tried to go up hills and do survival games but when they hit the ground or trees most got jammed or broke. (it was funny looking at an airsoft M16 when you lay it down against a wall, the barrel and delta ring area slightly bends because it just doesn't have the stiffness to withstand that kind of weight [B)])

So I lost interest in them...well at least until 2 years ago when I moved to United States. At first I didn't even notice that we could buy firearms in U.S since English was killing me. One day, I was in my dad's office after school and I saw the phone book. I somehow wanted to look up local gun stores and BAM, the addiction started right from there and was downfall ever since. Three AR15s, two Glocks, one Benelli and one M1 Carbine. (some are my dad's) I'm soooo into military-style-guns right now...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Since i can remember ive loved guns. I started shooting when i was about 6 years old and from then on i was hooked. Since my dad is a retired nyc detective he has a few .38's and a couple smaller pistols. I would shoot those and i loved it but when he got me my 10/22 for my 11th birthday thats when the rifle disease hit. When i was 13 i got a Mauser K 98(that mother has some kick,especially when ur 13)
But no matter what when i went to my local dealer/ FA range i went straight to the ar-15's. for some reason i just love the look of them- sleek, black, kinda evil badass gun. i finally got one about 2 months ago and i wont stop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't have much interest in ARs or any other long guns until around 1994.  Something about the government telling me I couldn't have them made me go out and buy three--two Bushies and an Oly.  I seem to have acquired a few more since then, plus a few variants and competing models.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Once upon a time.......I owned a Mini - Thirty..........boy, I'm glad that's over.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was a kid, my neighbor across the street had one. Then I saw HEAT and it was all over after that. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Guys, I got back into guns after 911. Started with a SAR1 followed by a Colt HBAR, DPMS Pather Lite and an OLY 9MM. I was into guns bigtime until the mid 80's when I sold everything I had to buy a house. The Kids are grown and now the oldman can have his playthings!I'm getting the itch again so I feel 2 more AR's coming!!! BobK  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I was reading on another board about how much more accurate aa AR15 was than my beloved Mini-14.

So I tested it, and it, and under very controlled conditions, it shot 3" patterns, not groups.

Plus, the only magazines I could completely trust were RUGER factory magazines, which are outrageously expensive.

So, after careful research, I bought a BUSHMASTER 20" A3, an ARMALITE scope base, and several USGI 30 round magazines.

I LOVE MY BUSHMASTER!

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#49]
U.S. Army Infantry
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought my first AR-15 in 1994 when I was told I couldn't have one.  My dad bought a Colt earlier in that year and I found a shorty Bushmaster.  I shot it periodically, but for the most part kept it up nice.  Then I found this board in 2001 and I am now seriously addicted.  (I'm glad these rifles look fairly much alike, because my wife would be wondering just how many I really do have.  It's hard enough explaining the different scopes.  Oh, its just that ar-15 again.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top