Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2003 6:44:57 AM EDT
What is the minimum overall legal length for a rifle? I thought it was 27-inches? Am I close in being correct?

Thanks

LS
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, [s]your too short, IIRC we're talkin 32"[/s], actually it's 26" so your an inch long.

Mike

PS - sure others w/ correct me if I'm wrong, btw, this doesn't appy to NFA weapons.

Had to check for myself, sorry for the wrong answer....upfront
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nope, [s]your too short, IIRC we're talkin 32"[/s], actually it's 26" so your an inch long.

Mike

PS - sure others w/ correct me if I'm wrong, btw, this doesn't appy to NFA weapons.

Had to check for myself, sorry for the wrong answer....upfront
View Quote

Mr. W-

Thanks for the info.

Is there any website showing those lengths?

ls
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Try here: [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfa.htm[/url]

Chapter 53 Subchapter B Part I Section 5845(a)
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy-

that section you read was concerning pre-ban rifles only, right?

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A Title 1 (non-NFA) rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16", and a shotgun's barrel must be at least 18".  Overall length for both must be at least 26".  If the gun has a folding or collapsable stock, the measurement is made with the stock [b]fully extended[/b].
View Quote

Troy-

What about a gun with a removable stock, but can still function and fire?

Thanks,

LS
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: Overall length for both must be at least 26".  If the gun has a folding or collapsable stock, the measurement is made with the stock [b]fully extended[/b].
-Troy
View Quote

Are you positive it's measured extended? I have always thought it is 16" and 26" folded/collapsed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
that section you read was concerning pre-ban rifles only, right?  
View Quote

The measurements given are to prevent a weapon from being a taxed NFA item.  This is a BIG difference.  The ATF might (a big might) hassle you for AW violations, but they WILL put you in jail for NFA violations.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LordStoner,

The gun would be measured with the removable stock in place.  However, some configurations of rifle that are legal may become illegal with the stock removed, such as a rifle with a forward vertical grip, which would become an AOW without the stock.

View Quote

I thought the vertical grip issue was on firearms registered as pistols, post 1984 ban?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:18:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, removing the stock from a rifle and going under the minimum length results in an SBR, because the original design was intended to be fired from the shoulder.

To be an AOW requires that the weapon never had a stock.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top