Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2003 2:58:18 PM EDT
I need some advise. Just got drawn for mule deer here in AZ. I have access to .308s, -06's, every proven deer gun caliber out there but I want to use my AR. In the area I'll be hunting, there's a 95% chanch the shot wont be over 200 yards max. I prefer closer. I can hold my own out to 500 but want some opinions on if I should go for it or opt for the big'uns. And what ammo I should try.

BTW... 16" Wilson NM barrel 1 in 9 twist
A2 upper w/ Luepold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40
CAR stock, w/ cheesy delta cheek piece

Thanks,

Ron
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my AR's dearly, and have taken 2 whitetails with them, but the 5.56 is in no way a mule deer gun... The Mulie is a big bodied animal and unless you can guarantee yourself a close range head/spine shot, the AR you should be taking with you is an ArmaLite AR-10...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Please do the deer and all hunters a favor and use something bigger than 5.56.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say go for it at under 200 yds. Best would be 100yds or less. Just hit it right and you will be fine. Take your AK or FAL they would be a better if you just have to use a militery riflr. I took a good muley a while back with a SKS. The 7.62x39 is pretty close to a 30-30.'

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please do the deer and all hunters a favor and use something bigger than 5.56.
View Quote

Use the 30-06 or 308. It’s one thing to shoot “the enemy” and have it not be as quick and painless as possible, but you’re going hunting and have other options, please use them.

Best Regards, J
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
A humane kill is a good kill, please use something bigger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the controversy.  Back home when deer Season opens (July 4th) the weapons of choice of all my friends are .22 rimfires and spotlights?  

And they all usuallly get their (daily) limit of three every night they go out.

Maybe I hang with a bad crowd?

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't see the controversy.  Back home when deer Season opens (July 4th) the weapons of choice of all my friends are .22 rimfires and spotlights?
View Quote

The trick is, you have to be VERY quiet as you sneak up on the sleeping mule deer and put the barrel of your .22 snuggly up against it's head as you pull the trigger...

All kidding aside -- use a larger caliber.  It will be much better for the deer.  The last thing you want is to have to track a wounded deer 4 miles (until it admits itself into the nearest hospital for a light gunshot wound).

[beathorse]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Use a larger caliber.
I have hunted all over Arizona, and some of the big mulies wouldn't be brought down with a 5.56.
A good .308 with decent optics is what will work well for the range and animal size.
I like the 180 grain Hi-Shok by Federal.
It's heavy bullet works well to buck (no pun) the wind on those cross valley shots, and also retains it's weight better if you hit bone.

What area are you picked for?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
We got drawn for 6A. I've decided to buy a new rifle. Since I'm a big guy 5'11 225, I'm going to Randalls and picking up a Savage 112 BVSS or 110FP in 300 Win Mag. I know it's a bit much for deer but I'm looking for long range shooting also. Anyways, hunting here is becoming bs. Seven years, drawn twice. We put in for both deer and elk.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It's usually the little guys who think they gotta prove thier machismo by shooting 7 mags and 300 win mags.

I stay away from recoil. 308 is a plenty. Till you get tup to Elk and Mooses.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Ghostflyer,

Good choice on the 300 winmag. Very good cartridge for muleys, elk, and long range. Just practice and practice some more.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Every factory box of .300 Win Mag should have a list of at least five good excuses to give the wife/girlfriend why they spent so much for so few rounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a browning A-Bolt Medallion BOSS in .300 win mag.  Hell on wheels for body armor, but hits your wallet just as hard for ammo.  Mine like the Federal premium safari trophy bonded 200 grain.  It'll hold better groups than I am capable of most days.  It is an excellent elk cartidge and can be used for dangerous game too.  Ammo is plentiful for the .300 win but some of the new hyped up short mags are still too new to be easy to come by.  The only thing I can gripoe about my browing is that I had to red locktight the screw that holds the action to the stock.  otherwise it would misfeed when it worked loose, generally in less than a box of cartridges. I shot an elk in 96 quartering in, it did an excellent job dropping it hard.  whatever load you pick, set up a bullet trap and catch sopme bullets before you hunt.  some of the soft point stuff will just disintegrate on impact in a mag.  make sure your bullets will hang together.  nothing worse than a pissed off bear and a bullet with too thin a jacket.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top