Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2003 10:34:00 PM EDT
What does anyone know about Oly's Maxhard process.  Is this just silly or does it have a point?

http://olyarms.com/usa.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an upper/lower Max Hard set. It is harder. Does it need to be harder probably not. Is it harder yes.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a harder surface is a great idea.  It may not be something that everyone needs, but 20 years ago people would have scoffed at Tennifer.

Lets face it, not a lot of new ideas come to a weapon system 35 years old.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What does anyone know about Oly's Maxhard process.  Is this just silly or does it have a point?

http://olyarms.com/usa.html
View Quote

I can tell you this much. I have an SUM with the Maxhard barrel and it is so smooth I can clean it in two passes. I use only moly bullets, it takes one pass with Kroil, then a dry one. I also opted for the Maxhard recievers which are noticeably harder than regular forgings. Worth the money? Barrel-most definetly. Receivers-don't know, it will take years to find out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think your barrel is better than a chrome bore (besides in accuracy?)  Also, keep us posted on your recievers as time goes by.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you think your barrel is better than a chrome bore (besides in accuracy?)  Also, keep us posted on your recievers as time goes by.  
View Quote

Good question. It is stainless and has broach cut rifling so I know accuracy is better. Chrome lining is for corrosion resistance and durability from high, sustained rates of fire.
I have no intention of abusing the barrel in that way, so it kind of depends on how you are going to use it. If I were to use it as a "blaster" and subject to weather (like the military) I might opt for the chrome. But, in all practicality, the plain SS suits me just fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
MAXhard increases hardness to 20 or so on Rockwell scale.  They are much harder than standard forged receiver.

The process makes the outside hard, but leaves the inside of metal just like a normal forged reciever.  If it was Rc 20 all the way through, it would be brittle.  This gives you the best of very ahrd finish with softer metal inside.

For those who think forging is so much better than cast, they will LOVE MAXHard because it makes is that much better than the forged receiver.

The receiver is also darker than a normal forged receiver, which is pretty hard to do, as the forged T3 receiver is very black.

Is it worth it?  For most people no.  For those who are want to be GI Joes, get it.  If you want to put a .50BMG upper on your lower, get it.  If you want to spend money, get it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MAXhard increases hardness to 20 or so on Rockwell scale.  They are much harder than standard forged receiver.

The process makes the outside hard, but leaves the inside of metal just like a normal forged reciever.  If it was Rc 20 all the way through, it would be brittle.  This gives you the best of very ahrd finish with softer metal inside.  
View Quote

So it is knind of like katanas.  A hard edge to take impacts without chipping and a softer spine so the sword deosn't snap in half when strinking.  Cool.  I think i may get one of these receivers from you when I have the extra cash just to try them out.  Do they have flattop uppers to match?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they sell mated uppers and lowers, or either seperate, in bothe aluminim and titanium.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top