Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2003 5:41:19 PM EDT
This weekend I am entering my first Infantry trophy match competition.  It requires engaging three targets at 600 to 200 yards.  I have only engaged targets at 100 yds before.  The instructor suggested that if I had the time (which I do not) I should zero my rifle at 300 yards with a sling from the prone position before the day of the match.  My rifle is currently zeroed for 100 yds. I am afraid that on the day of the match that I won't hit any of the targets at those ranges,  What can I do?  

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in zeroing in at that distance without doing it at the range.  If thats even possible
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Try doing a little research here - [URL]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You will most likely miss if you have never shot this distance before.  The way you sling thr rifle will make a lot of difference in point of impact at the 600 yd targets.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys.  I think I will just go and watch and learn that day and then participate at a later date.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
600 is a little longer than I've shot, but,"back in the day" when we zeroed at the range I seem to remember the standard zero procedure allowed for a 25 meter zero to be used to put it right on at 300. The level of the bullet in its trajectory is the same at 25 as it is at 300.....or something to that effect. Now get ready for a bunch of people to log on and say how wrong I am. But I remember zeroing at 25 meters, and hitting targets consistently at 300 meters. Maybe we aimed at shoulder level, but I cant remember. And that was with army issue ammo, with sloppy well used M-16A2's, from Prone unsupported position.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I think I will just go and watch and learn that day and then participate at a later date.
View Quote

don't do that!
go out and sling some ammo.  you will learn a lot more shooting your own gun than watching others shoot theirs.  usually there are a few folks around that will give you pointers and after the match someone will usually show you how to sling up and do it right for the next time.  above all have fun.  not many people get to shoot (and hit) at 600.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah yes, Rattle Battle.  If your team members don't realy care I would go.  Use bigbores come-ups and/or help from your team members.  It will get you on paper anyway.  It is a real blast (pun intended) to shoot.   They will mark your targets and then you can at least have a starting point from from 600.  If nothing else you will see what groups you can get.

Usually there is a full course match the day before.  Shoot that and that will give you 600,300 and 200 come-ups.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This weekend I am entering my first Infantry trophy match competition.  It requires engaging three targets at 600 to 200 yards.  
View Quote

Actually it's supposed to be at 600, 500, 300, and 200.  What exactly are you shooting (match wise)?

Also it's an 8 person team, 2 are coaches that can spot and call adjustments.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Smile, hell I would do a dance. Kev
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top