Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 9:48:59 AM EDT
What are the members thoughts on either of these two wildcats as an alternative chambering for the AR15 ?Is 2000+ fps obtainable for a 150gr bullet ?Is there favourite loads,barrel lenghts,or any other conbination.
I have a 1:10 twist .30 cal barrel blank that is looking for a home in an AR15.Lets have your veiws,please.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a AR10 or M1A. They are 30 cal and you can buy ammo anywhere. Why waste all that time messing around with wildcats? There used to be a saying that you should use calibers for what the gun was originally designed for, because they work better. So my way of thinking is if you want a 30 cal. automatic rifle get a AR10 or M1A.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Look here for starters....

[url]www.quarterbore.com/300whisper[/url]

As for the 30/221 and the 300 Whisper, these are the same cartridge.  The 300 Whisper will essentially match the performance of the 7.62x39 or 30/30 Winchester with much less powder, recoil and blast.

As for your barrel, as long as you do not have plans to run subsonic loads and a silencer this blank will work fine.  If you use this slower twist with a can you may get baffle strikes and because of the slow twist the silencer manufacturer may say POUND SAND if you try to return it under warenty.  Most subsonic 300 Whispers use the 1:8 twist barrel.  You will likely also need to use an adjustable gas system as the 300 Whisper cartridge is a tricky little monster to get to function with everything from a 115-gr supersonic load to a 240-gr subsonic load.

Now, the 30/223 cartridge will NOT WORK in an AR-15!  The 223 case is too long to handle the 30-cal bullet in an AR-15 sized magazine unless you stuff the bullet WAY DOWN the 223 case.  I am sure somebody has made a 30/223 wildcat in a custom long action bolt gun but I doubt this is what you really meant to ask as the 30/223 IS DIFFERENT then a 30/221 Fireball!

As for the oppinions about the 30-cal and M-14 & AR-10, well, I think I will ignore them.  I like the 300 Whisper and the 308.  Then again, I also own a fly swatter and a sledge hammer as there is no reason to do both jobs with the sledge, even though the sledge can handle the work.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The 300 whisper has my interest.  What I have learned so far.  If you build or have one built go for the longer gas system....softer pulse and quicker second shot on target.  Its my understanding that this round will make the major power factor requirement if you shoot 3 gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
... longer isn't better... see the sample weapons on my website....
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not really practical or necessary to change the rifle when another upper will suffice.                                     Softer recoil and major power factor in PR comps sounds good and the Whisper has it so far,but Fireball brass is practically non existent here and when it is available extremely expensive ($50/100)..223 Rem brass is plentiful and a lot cheaper by comparison,especially once fired,hence the 30/223 Rem (Apache,Ingram or Titus)idea.Surely there must be a load that makes major and has an overall cartridge length around that of the original.
No need to worry about the gas system as all the AR15's here are bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, it didn't click that you don't have a semi...  I actually have a Bolt Action 300/221 Pistol that I am working to put together....

As for the brass, if you shorten the Case Overall Length of a 223 case so that it will fit in the mag you will still have a 300 Whisper or 300/221 as the 221 fireball is nothing more than a shorter 223 case.

Many people use 223 brass and make 300 Whisper brass even though I normally use 221 brass myself.  221 Brass can be purchased here in bulk and the time it takes to resize the brass is more valuable to me then the price difference.

So, I still think you want to limit yourself to the 300/221 so that you will not need special mags or custom reloading dies.  The 300 Whipser does a great job of filling an AR-15 magazine so anything longer will be a manual loading operation and I doubt you want to do that!

P.S.  Can you own and use silencers in GBR?  I know in other European countries silencers are encouraged to keep the noise down.  Too many movies in this country have convinced the politians that silencers are bad!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It must seem pretty weird to you guys that we are hand cranking semi autos here,but faced with the ban in '88,the only other option was to sell your rifle to the 'Government'(a very loose description of those in power at the time) for $225."But Officer I just paid $1500,for my match rifle!".Not being stupid,the straight pull bolt action AR15 was born !
That was the only real change back then until the pistol ban by the other mob in power a few years later.This 'intelligent'(another loose term)move created a situation where handguns are now owned by criminals,terrorists and drug dealers and sadly not by the genuine law abiding shootist.Our Olympic pistol team trains in Belgium!
Let this be a lesson to all bona fide gun owners in the U.S.!
Its not all bad,not quite!
Our minimum rifle barrel length is 12"(anything under that is deemed a pistol),silencers are free and unrestricted,(to stop waking up the politicians as they sleep on the benches of Parliament)and hi cap mags are freely traded like Snickers bars.
I think it was the need to be different started this enquiry into another chambering and calibre
for the AR15.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, it is amazing to see the different people and their issues from around the globe!  I have traded E-mails with a few people in Australia who also are stuck with some pretty harsh restrictions...

Now a quick question, can you ship or recive gun parts into or out of the UK?  

As an example, I know there are a few people that make true bolt action style upper receivers of the AR-15...  Whould you be able to receive this or would that cause you problems?  Because a part like this is not controlled here, I am fairly sure that I can ship or receive something like this...

As an example, I see lots of Bren LMG stuff that is for sale in the UK and I have a beauty of a Bren MKI  sitting at home that I want to build as a Semiauto.  

[url]http://quarterbore.com/weapons/bren_mk1.htm[/url]  

I have never actualy got around to asking how easy or difficult it would be for you gents to ship something like these parts (mainly barrels, mags ,etc)... not that I really need any more parts than what I have!  I know some countries are tougher then others but I figure you may know!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've wanted one for some time, but since I'm not looking for a "blaster" I want max accuracey. But I'm NOT willing to pay what the "good" makers want. So...  I aint got one.
I've had three contender barrels and it's a great little round.  I've gotten close to building a bolt gun a few times, but cost Vs. how much I'd really use it always kept me away.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top