Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 5:53:01 PM EDT
My KAC RIS rattles like a pebble in a hubcap.

The rivets that hold the heat shield in are very loose. It looks like the rivet holes (s) are elongated, perhaps due to repeated recoil and the soft aluminum that the heat shield is made from.
Anyone got a fix for this? I was thinking about using some liquid nails over the top of the rivets.
Mabey I'll just remove the heat shield. The RIS is on a 45ACP upper so it doesn't get really hot like .223 does.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Get some needle nose plyers and rip the heat shield right out.

Improve your cooling [;)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to glue mine back on my RAS.  But Lumpy has a good point, if mine get loose again, I probably just rip them out...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Stole the idea from KevinB.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was Company Armorer in the ARMY I had 120-140 M4's with RAS/RIS many had the same problem. I called Knights and was told they where aware of the problem and would be repared or replaced free of charge.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The heat shield on my RIS broke after 3 rounds. I called up Knights and they said it would cost $300 to fix it. fuckin assholes
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The heat shield on my RIS broke after 3 rounds. I called up Knights and they said it would cost $300 to fix it. fuckin assholes
View Quote

No offense, but I call BS on your story.

From what I have heard, KAC's customer service is far from perfect.  But I don't really believe that they would charge you $300 to glue back a heat shield on a $270 item.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
HKocher, when I got my first RIS back in '99 I had the same problem. Knight's refused to replace it, and offered to sell me another RIS. Needless to say, I ripped that POS heatshield outta there, and never looked back.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HKocher, when I got my first RIS back in '99 I had the same problem. Knight's refused to replace it, and offered to sell me another RIS. Needless to say, I ripped that POS heatshield outta there, and never looked back.

-Cap'n
View Quote

Well then I believe it.  That IS horrible customer service.

I guess E_WOK meant to say that they would sell him a new one for $300, not fix his existing RIS for $300.  Either way that's crappy service, but I just wanted to get the straight story.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can sneak up on your dog with empty hands, you need a new dog!

Jerry

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
What are you stalking Billy dog for anyway?

Keep your finger away from the trigger........
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Cap'n
View Quote

Well then I believe it.  That IS horrible customer service.

I guess E_WOK meant to say that they would sell him a new one for $300, not fix his existing RIS for $300.  Either way that's crappy service, but I just wanted to get the straight story.

View Quote

That was what I was trying to say.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I am not then best guy to put my thoughts into a sentence.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you can sneak up on your dog with empty hands, you need a new dog!

Jerry

View Quote

So true. My dog is 14, she cant see or hear like she used to to say the least, but she still hears or senses me coming.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top