Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 1:24:19 PM EDT
i am thinking of buying a case of tannerite to play with, i know its legal to ship and all that but when i mix it at the place i shoot am i manufacturing a explosive device? this charge has a long jail term connected to it so if i get caught with the mixed tannerite is this legal to mix and have on hand? if the nice state trooper would stop in would he be able to arrest me and take my weapons? im not clear on the legal issues as far as tannerite goes, please help since i really want to try the stuff out. thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
ATF does not consider ocasionally mixing components to produce an explosive or blasting agents to be manufacturing.  Doing this everyday (say a quarry that mixes AN prills and diesel fuel every day) requires a liscense (though they have been lax on enforcing this requirement).

Carrying mixed tannerite violates a ton of DOT rules, which may or may not be enforced against am individual. I would hope they would ignore a few ounces, just as they typically do with blasting caps or a single case of dynamite.

State or local laws may vary.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tannerite is just a compound to make exploding targets. The company statement reads:[b] Must be used by adults with clean criminal records. Must be used at time of mixing to avoid violation of storage laws.[/b]

Just use some sense.

Oh, and if you make big booms in a populated area and disturb the citizens, don't expect the state trooper care how legal you think it is. If you aren't bothering anyone you may have to let him blow up a bottle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies, my friend actually planted the bug about the explosive device stuff, i wont worry about it. the trooper up where we go shooting is a cool guy, he stopped in to see us one time to check out where all the fire was coming from. we had 2 ARs a AK 2 sks's and about six pistols, not to mention 2500 rounds of ammo and the the hunting rifles, he told us he liked our rifles and even took us to a better place to shoot. he stuck around and we let him pop off a few mags, he was cool.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top