Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 1:32:42 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what mag pulls are for? Maybe I'm missing the point of them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
to assist in removing mags.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought. But aren't they supposed to basically fall out on thier own when the release is pushed?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The mag pulls will protect the bottom of the mag when it hits the ground...plus I think in some matches, you have to retain your mags...so the little loops helps make the change, then put the spent mag back in the pouch.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpuls are good for aiding in removing magazines from pouches.  They also help keep mags quiet when ther are in the pouches.  They protect the bottom of the mags when they are dropped from your rifle (or just dropped in general).  You can also buy them in different colors to keep your ammo/mags in order (ie separate colors for m193, m855/ss109, match ammo, range mags v good mags, etc).

The bad news is that they don't fit well in most magazine pouches.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
initially they were made of 550 cord by Joe's who had trouble pulling a mag out of a tightly packed mag pouch, then some civilian saw it, and knew someone would pay good money for a piece of rubber "that protects your magazine". I guess they may help "color code mags", but so does tape. There is one born every minute.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Magpuls/other devices are designed, in general to make handling/grasping mags easier.  Mags, while designed to "drop free" never should.  In FTF/Malfunction drills, its often taught to retain the magazine for future use/inspection.  In tactical reload situations, you will want to retain that magazine for future use should  you run absolutely dry, don't, and for future consolidation of the ammo. in those magazines.  No weapon, in a combat situation should be shot to end of ammo in a given magazine.  It happens that's inevitable.  The loss of magazines in shtf scenarios happens.  But, its never ideal.  Trainig should be to tactically reload/retaining magazines, and malfunction drills, retaining mag's .  That's when Magpuls/others come into their own.
Side note, Magpul/training for combat or not, do you want your pre-ban hi/std.-caop mag's to be bouncing off the floor?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#7]
AAAH yes, the magpul. The solution for a problem
that doesn't exist. Though they look kinda cool, if that's what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AAAH yes, the magpul. The solution for a problem
that doesn't exist. Though they look kinda cool, if that's what you are looking for.
View Quote

Actually it is a solution to a problem. One of many solutions, but its still a solution.

GI's have put para cord on the bottom of their mags for many years to aid in pulling them out of their respective pouches. But Mag PUlls anwser that by using a rubber loop to pull the mags out.

It also solves the problem of damaging your magazines floor plates when dropped out of the weapon. Would you want your loaded, expensive pre-ban magazines dropped onto a hard surface?

It also acts as range identification of what type of ammunition is used. They make different color mag-pulls (red, blue, yellow, etc.) YOu can assign Red to frangible ammunition, yellow to ball, and so on. This will avoid any confusion when training.

While duct tape or para cord would solve most of these problems, mag pulls are designed to be used and will last a lot longer than para cord or duct tape would.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what I thought. But aren't they supposed to basically fall out on thier own when the release is pushed?
View Quote

its to assist in removing mags from magazine pouches, not the weapon.

Although, the loop helps you retain the mag after it is pulled out of the weapon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top