Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 7:42:06 AM EDT
Ok...I've been spending too much time and money on these 2 rifles lol...but here's some pics of the progress I've made.  I wish I had a better camera, or could better results from this one, but I can't:

M4gery:

I got the Holosight and ARMS #40 the other day, and the Fobus M44 handguards.  The light is a cheesy Streamlight, but it'll have to do for another month or 2.  

Model 1 Kit, aka as the FCWSOB (Fenian's Complete Weapons System on a Budget):

I just istalled the VLTOR stock yesterday, I really like it.  Those are the Liberator 2 handguards from Fulton Armory.  I've got an ARMS #38 due in any day, and eventually the ProPoint3 CMP will be replaced by an Aimpoint.  I've also got a set of #22 High Rings coming, so I will eventually be able to go from red dot to scope in a few seconds.  

I still need a vertical grip for the M4, and the Aimoint...but I'm sorta out of $$.  The rest of the stuff will have to wait 'til I start work on the 22nd.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Very Sweet Rifles !!!!

I'm the same way, I still need a SureFire M900, EOtech and an ACOG but my Cash is kind of GONE !!!!

As soon as I find more Spare $$$ these goodies will be ordered right away.

Great Guns you have there, Keep up the good work !! [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking pieces you have there, you should be proud of yourself. Enjoy.

MM419
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
day, and the Fobus M44 handguards.
View Quote

NICE rifles!

So what's the verdict on the Fobus handguards ?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
cnatra, I haven't really made up my mind on the Fobus handguards...they fit nice and tight, much tighter than the M4 handguards that came on the rifle.  

The 1st Samco flashlight mount and the bipod mount I got with it were very tight (read woulnd't go on) on a regular picatinny rail.  I had to do a bit of filing to get them on.  Now, they're loose on the Fobus rails...so I can't really say how they fit unaltered.  I can say that they're WAY to tight on any other metal rail...I had to pound the flashlight mount off the rail with a hammer and block of wood...so as far as quick detach, they fail miserably.  If they fit good on the fobus rail out of the box without being loose, then I could recommend them.  I got the mounts in before I got the handguards...I'd thought they'd be easy to mount on any picatinny rail, as they claim...WRONG...until I filed down a little of the inside end of the push button, the wouldn't clear the first rail section.  Even after filing, they were still very tight.   Since I never put them on the M44s til after I filed them, it's unfair to say how they would have fit.  The funny thing is, though, that on the M44 rails, the mounts are loose front to back, NOT side to side.  What I filed shouldn't effect the forward/backward fit...so at this point, I just don't know what to say.  

The handguards themselves feel really good with the rubber covers installed when you grip the rifle...very smooth and ergonomic.  I had the vertical grip from the second rifle on those Fobus handguards, and it seemed to be pretty secure...although, I'm sure you could rip it off there if you were bound and determined.  But for light duty, I think it would be ok.  

I *may* try another 1st Samco mount at some point, for a surefire light.  Midway has dealer pricing on the mounts of around $18...not a budget buster, I'm just not gonna do it for a while.  

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer right now...let's just say the jury's still out.  I don't think I would pay more than what I did for them, though...around $90 dealer price at Midway.  There's no comparison between them and the Liberator IIs, for example, the Lib. IIs win hands down, but I was able to install them myself without any trouble and save any smithing fees.  On the plus side, they're nice and light, and the M4 handles really well. It may take a few more people to get them before we really know.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very Sweet Rifles !!!!

I'm the same way, I still need a SureFire M900, EOtech and an ACOG but my Cash is kind of GONE !!!!

As soon as I find more Spare $$$ these goodies will be ordered right away.

Great Guns you have there, Keep up the good work !! [bounce]
View Quote

I don't know that I can use "spare" and "cash" in the same sentence lol.  BTW, I REALLY like the Holosight...I've already gotten used to the fuzzy reticle...you'll notice it worse if you have any astigmatism, and you're not wearing your glasses.  The sight picture is much less cluttered than tube style sights I've looked through, and the center dot is smaller than what I first thought.  It sits perfect on the flat top without any spacer, and the #40 pops up and cowitnesses perfectly.  I'm pretty happy with that setup...as far as optics/sights, that rifle is done.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking weapons you have there. Nothing wrong that streamlight. They work good enough, save the money and use it on a better camera .

SaFe ShOoTiNg
  Jerry [):)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Lookin' good!  I hear ya on the money issue!  Been building up an SBR for some time now and if it werent for having to eat and pay bills I be done....[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lookin' good!  I hear ya on the money issue!  Been building up an SBR for some time now and if it werent for having to eat and pay bills I be done....[:D]
View Quote

oh...you PAY the bills heehehe?  I just ignore them!  I must admit to some guilt about what I've spent on these 2 guns over the last months or so...I've been out of work since May 15...but I'm going back to work on the 22nd of July...once I knew I had a job, I *did* spend more than I should have...but I'm sure you know the sickness...gotta get 'em done so I can start the next project!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Fenian,  thanks for the info. on the Fobus guards !
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
cnatra, after the 1st post to you, I spent about 20 minutes today playing with the flashlight mount on the Fulton Armory handguard rails...by banging it on and on a few times, and working the pushbutton a lot, it now slides on and off the rail without needing a mallet or block of wood hehehe.  It is rock solid, with no free play at all, and it's still tight.  So, my opinion of the mount went up a notch or two, at least for mounting on metal picatinny rails.  

I guess I'll have to get another one and try it one the M44 for out of the box fit.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the top one the best, but  don't like the optics of either and would go with irons first and add optics later.  

I'm sort of in the same situation.  I'm starting with a base and incrementally upgrading.  One of my baselines is no elevated front or rear sights.  I grew up on ARs, and I hate the carry handle and elevated front sight tower.  I plan on using flip up sights as backup and optics as primary.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
omar, I'm too old for iron sights lol.  Actually, the top rifle is all set...holosight and the #40.

The bottom rifle will be sporting the #38 in a couple of days, and there will be an aimpoint on there as soon as I can afford it...and a Tasco SS...and a....well, you get the picture hehe.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top