Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2003 12:42:48 PM EDT
AUGUST 2003 SOF MAGAZINE ON INSIDE BACK COVER PAGE IS
a add for CAMELBAK and has A guy shooting a M16 and the Lower on the Rifle is backwards???
Like a left hand M16 but the guy is shooting right handed?

Does anyone have this magazine?

UPPER IS RIGHT HANDED

THE LOWER has seletor and bolt catch on wrong side??
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have it, but my guess is the photo is reversed or mirrored, or whatever the hell they call it in the photography business...  I see it a lot in gun mags.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't have it, but my guess is the photo is reversed or mirrored
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Armalite has an ad with a pic of the AR10 bass-ackwards.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the same thing? But Im still not to sure about mirror thing!

Somebody has to have the Mag! I dont see anything else thats backwards besides the rifle?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I can guarantee it is mirrored.  They simply print the negative of the photo from the other side.  Ever looked at a photo negative?  You can see through it!  It will give the impression an object is facing one way when it really isnt yet everything is printed on the "awkward" side!  There is no lefty M16!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Its wierd how they do that!

GO TO THE NEWS STAND and check it out?

Its so odd seeing the upper Reciever  ejection port and Shell deflector on the right Side like it should be.

And the Lower Reciever thats faceing on the right side has the Safety Selector,Bolt Release,and Logo?

STRANGE INDEED!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have questioned this for years.

I have a Soldier of Fortune from November 1983, on page 46 there is a picture of a man shooting a m16a1 that appears to have ejection port, forward assist, and mag release on the left side.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And the Lower Reciever thats faceing on the right side has the Safety Selector,Bolt Release,and Logo?

STRANGE INDEED!!!
View Quote

Wouldn't that put the bolt release right in front of the ejection port?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the picture right here and it doesn't show the ejection port or shell deflector. What it does show is the little rectangular bumpout that gives the cam pin clearance to turn, which is on the LEFT side, same as the selector, etc. In the picture they are all on the right side, obviously the negative was flipped.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
In an issue from last year of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, I know for a fact that DPMS makes a lefty AR. Ejection port on the left side. Dennis Prisby was the author of the article. If i'm not mistaken, DPMS will configure their rifles and carbines for a lefty
shooter. The AR tested was a 20 inch with A2 buttstock and a plain muzzle. It was a nice specimen and performed flawlessly according to the author.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I love that Magazine! saw the same add!

maybe I was wrong about the upper I only saw it for a minute!

just odd and I DO BELIVE ITS A TRICK!!!!!!!!!

But its pretty cool one at that
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
This may be a stupid question to those with experience, but I'm left-handed and I'm really curious about what options are available for a guy like me.

My brother-in-law just got his Rock River lower and a custom upper (can't remember who did it) and it's one sweet weapon.  I have a harder time using it though because everything is backwards (like all guns for me).

Anyone know of any lefty AR-15 options?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Panther Arms (forgot the parent company) makes a left hand rifle
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the new SOF mag it has some like special forces guy with desert camo on with a left handed gun shooting right handed HILLARIOUS!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Virtually all gun makers produce a few left handed firearms for publications, so that their firearms (particularrly bolt action rifles) do not look backwards when pictures are taken of them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This may be a stupid question to those with experience, but I'm left-handed and I'm really curious about what options are available for a guy like me.

My brother-in-law just got his Rock River lower and a custom upper (can't remember who did it) and it's one sweet weapon.  I have a harder time using it though because everything is backwards (like all guns for me).

Anyone know of any lefty AR-15 options?
View Quote

I'm a lefty, and I think lefty uppers for AR15s are a big waste.  

As long as you have a brass deflector on your upper (which most uppers will have), you are good to go.  Never been hit by my own brass.

But to make your rifle more lefty friendly, the DPMS ambi safety is a must have, for only $30-35.  Best upgrade ever!  Also an oversized charging handle latch (I use a Badger and a PRI, both are great) is a good value for $15-25.  Finally, if you want to go all out, the Norgon ambi mag release is great, but pricey at $90.  Don't have to have it, but it does make mag changes a lot faster, which will help if you shoot any matches.

Everything else is unnecessary, in my experience.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top