BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
any body buy a upper from them. Or know who makes them
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a Model 1 kit a couple weeks ago...the upper has the same weird little glyph that my RRA upper receivers have, FWIW.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I posed this same question about a month ago. I was told that the model 1 uppers were made by FN. Yes Fabrique National, the current military contractor. Given the varieties of preban uppers oh their website, I'm getting a couple. Preban m4 flat top upper and a 20inch flat top upper. These uppers will be thoroughly inspected before being mated to my preban lowers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know who makes them for Model1Sales but I do know that I like mine...I built a carbine length A2 with the standard buttstock.  It eats Wolf 55 and 62gr ammo like there is no tomorrow!I have put about 750 rounds through with zero malfunctions and am very pleased.  I know some people don't like the "Frankenstein guns" but being a poor cop I went the cheap way and had an armorer I know build mine on a Rock River Arms receiver.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know who makes them for Model1Sales but I do know that I like mine...I built a carbine length A2 with the standard buttstock.  It eats Wolf 55 and 62gr ammo like there is no tomorrow!I have put about 750 rounds through with zero malfunctions and am very pleased.  I know some people don't like the "Frankenstein guns" but being a poor cop I went the cheap way and had an armorer I know build mine on a Rock River Arms receiver.
View Quote

Good deal County' :) Myself and a bunch of other guys are getting ready to start building AR's (We're stuck on a DOD site for the next year with nothin' to do after the duty day) and Model 1 is going to be Our "Low-end" supplier. I've built untold (and mostly forgotten) numbers of AR's at shows on just about every concievable combination of parts I could immagine and, short of the "Geek factor", never really worried about where the parts came from as long as they went in easy and I didn't see a pissed off customer 2 weeks later at another show. The M1 stuff I've seen looked about the same as the 150 FN A2's and the 270 Colt A4's I'm currently sub hand-reciepted for so WHO CARES? lol If it works go with it. ;)
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They built me a free-float stainless 20" upper with dovetail gas block and flat top upper. Works great, except that the gas block is the wrong size, so the detachable front-sight is too high (I think they may have used an AR10 gas block by mistake). I worked around this by modifying the front sight and now it works OK. Kinda annoying though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a CAR parts kit from them at a gunshow a few weeks ago to put on an EA lower.I only needed the complete upper, but the upper + BC +CH would have cost MORE separately than the whole kit, which includes a decent collapsible stock, etc. The finish is good.
The problem is that when I try to open the bolt, it get hung up in the fully open position. It will close if I loosen the pushpins or tap the butt on the floor. I'm not sure where the BC is getting hung up...maybe the buffer, but I'm not sure how to find out. Maybe I'll put on the Model 1 stock and see if that helps. Any ideas are welcome.
But the upper fits and functions just fine on a BM lower, and also the RRA lower. I'm waiting for delivery of conversion pivot pins so I can try it on one of the large hole Colts.
Anyway, the kit seems to be a decent deal for the money...not top line but not bad for a shooter. I've lurked the boards a while...you guys are a great resource.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
As a starving student, heh, I got my first AR upper from them. Put it in a Rock River lower, was a bit tight, but after the first time shooting it it was fine.

I have put around 500 rounds through it (on the first weekend with it, damn) no problems at all beyond newbie-error.

As said, not top of the line maybe, but doesn't seem bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
"Finest Chi-Com parts money can buy"

The real FN does not use Wilson (non-chrome lined) barrels with cheap cast front sight bases.

I've seen FNMI stuff, it's not the same as M&A, Model, SunValley, ASA...

Some of this gunshow/mailorder stuff is really made in china.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Their catalog says " ALL US MADE PARTS" on just about every page...maybe not true, but I can't see much difference compared to some parts from the big manufacturers. The finish seems better than some of the rifles for sale NIB that I've seen at the local stores.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top