Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2003 3:19:59 AM EDT
I have seen comments on this board regarding actions taken by Colt to insure that their firearms (AR-15) cannot be converted to full auto very easily.  My questions are as follows:

Am I correct in that Colts design differs somewhat from say Bushmasters.

If this is true, how do their designs differ?

I may be completely off the mark here but any info would be appreciated.  I am not interesed in doing an illegal conversion.  I am probably not capable of doing it myself anyway.  Simply attempting to understand if their are any design differences.

Thank-you for your input.

Steve, LA
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It's simple. Colt doesn't trust its customers, so made its parts out of milspec.

Bushmaster is as close to milspec as you can get in the civilian market.

Get a Bushmaster.
[:D]

(now, wait for the assault of Colt Worshipers...)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
*coughfedcough* oh and btw IBTL..
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't buy a new Colt lower but I really like their uppers, bolts, etc. My .02.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have seen comments on this board regarding actions taken by Colt to insure that their firearms (AR-15) cannot be converted to full auto very easily.  My questions are as follows:

Am I correct in that Colts design differs somewhat from say Bushmasters.

If this is true, how do their designs differ?

I may be completely off the mark here but any info would be appreciated.  I am not interesed in doing an illegal conversion.  I am probably not capable of doing it myself anyway.  Simply attempting to understand if their are any design differences.

Thank-you for your input.

Steve, LA
View Quote

Colt did what they did because of things like your saying in your post.
GG
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I failed to grasp your point.  What did I say that would cause Colt to alter their design, if in fact they did.

Sincerely,

Steve
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt is afriad people will illegaly convert them the full auto and then the idiot liberals will blame them for it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank-you for clarifying that for me.  I guess one could say that it is fortunate that no one, including myself inferred or stated that Colt Products could be used to inflict severe bodily harm or even death if used illegally or Colt may decide to cease sales of firearms to the civilian populace and begin manufacturing bathroom facilities.

I purchased a Colt Mod. 6400C in June.  I am very pleased with the firearm though I hate to disappoint Colt that Semi to Full-Auto Coversion never entered my purchase decision.  I would surmise this is because in Louisiana ownership of Full-Auto's is legal provided the laws to acquire said firearm are followed.  Why risk a felony conviction when a few forms, $200.00 tax payment and you can have a subgun.  Colt may have jumped the gun on this one so to speak, but I still am a fan of their products (firearms not bathroom facilities).

Thank-You Again,

Steve
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Did Colt make any other dimensional changes?  I understand that Colt Carry handles and front sights don't always match up with other makers'.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top