Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 4:18:07 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a (A3 TacBrake) from Kurt's Kustom Firearms for my Post Ban Bushmaster M4. Does anyone have any info/feedback on this product and or company.

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.city.../29585/1129.htm

Thanks...Take care and have fun,
Medic 0372
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Kurt had done 2 of his A3's for me, a third will soon be done!  His workmanship is outstanding and I highly recommend him.  The brake works very well, muzzle rise is non-existent and the increase in redirected blast is minimal... You won't be disappointed...

[img]img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/122167/BCQLRVWSAKNVVYJDKUJS-KKF02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing for my M4A3 from Kurt/Tac Brake, my only reservation is being 2 months without my toy!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, just buy ammo for the 2 months it is away and make up for it when it's returned. I have a KKF A3 and must say it does a great job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I was VERY pleased with the job Kurt did for me.  He removed the Mini-Y comp from my Bushmaster M4 and installed his A3 brake, beautiful metalwork, looks badass, effective at controlling muzzle rise.  It did take a while but was definitely worth the wait.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
my only reservation is being 2 months without my toy!

View Quote

Get another upper.  (I know it's money but you're gonna spend it anyway !!)

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Kurt installed a break on my postban 20" and a flashhider on my 14.5 m4 to make it legal length. His shop is only 1hr from my house so i droped on a friday and picked them up a week later. Alsome job. You cant go wrong with Kurt.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Kurt rules.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p510d840c6c3a4749e561ef3dcf1ccb50/fc128888.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p08bf12ac5fa74138f3fb0e9ecbf1b563/fc12888a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
So did you guys remove everything from the upper and just send the barrel only?

But I am impressed at Kurt being an one-man shop and still have time to answer all the emails he gets and also his discussion forum, does he sleep or eat?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
M-Forgery, that's a good way of looking at it. I may have to break down and send her off...
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
here is an a2brake he did for me/
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/q8kdepd408ea0ji4hcv7bqroi0/Documents/Pictures%2Fdisapator%20010.jpg[/img]
excellent workman ship
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Send the upper less the bolt carrier assembly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen his work on a pair of AR's and they looked factory. You will be happy with the A3 tac brake.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
i put a G1A3 tac-brake on mime. it looks the same as his mil-spec flash hider but its a brake. heres a pic [img]http://home.insightbb.com/~vlh79/DSC00056.JPG[/img].
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Kurt is the man!  

Read the Review: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/kkfa3tacbrakereview.msnw[/url]

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing for my M4A3 from Kurt/Tac Brake, my only reservation is being 2 months without my toy!
View Quote

Does it really take 2 months?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes it takes less than a month.  Sometimes it takes longer.  The 2 months is an average.

Kurt is a one man shop.  He makes all the parts, installs all the parts, does all the shipping and receiving, all the answering the phone, all the talking to people who stop by The Swamp, all the bookkeeping, all the responding to emails, etc., etc., etc.  He could probably take a lesson from so many others and have the common parts like flash hiders and muzzle brakes manufactured for him in a third world sweat shop, and his profits would be much higher, but then he wouldn't be doing custom work, would he?

Edited to add, if you're in NC, shouldn't your name be 'CanesHockey'?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
How much did it cost you guys total? Parts and labor? (if you don't mind me asking)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]
As I remember, Kurt charges around $90 for the A3 installed, plus return shipping...

The Bushmaster and the ArmaLite in the pic I posted above were also reprofiled LW and cut back to 14 1/2"... the A3 permanently installed brings the barrel back to 16".  If you're going to ship him your upper, have him do the works... the reprofile job was about $60, and cutting and recrowning just a few bux...

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Edited to add, if you're in NC, shouldn't your name be 'CanesHockey'?
View Quote

Big 'Canes fan also. Only minutes away from the arena! But I like St. Louis also. Sending mine off to Kurt tomorrow! I don't mind the wait, it's so hot and humid right now anyway. I will get it back just in time for some nice shooting weather!

How much did it cost you guys total? Parts and labor? (if you don't mind me asking)
View Quote
Looks like around $90 installed for most models and you pay $12.50 for return shipping/handling/insurance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey thanks, I might send in my Y-comp to him in the near future.
Can anyone tell me if it does significantly decrease the sound for the shooter? (i know it's not a silencer, i mean in comparison to the mini y-comp)
I want to use my bushy M4 for home defense, without hearing protection. Do you guys think that's possible with that break, without getting severe ear-damage?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Short of using a silencer, I don't think it is going to make a difference what you stick on the end of your barrel.  If you are indoors then there's no nowhere you can direct the muzzle blast that it won't either be coming right back at you or hitting a wall, cieling or floor and reflecting right back at you.  

One valid consideration though is what that blast does along the way.  The Y-Comps and AK brakes tend to direct a lot more blast to the sides, enough to send lightweight things flying around which could interfere with your vision.  The KKF brake doesn't direct as much to the sides but this can still be a concern.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm definitely getting rid of my mini-y to get either the TacBrake or the Fake Flash Suppressor. The whole reson I can't stand the mini-y is because of the noise and blast, but I would like to have a brake that actually does something.

So how does the noise and blast of a TacBrake equipped rifle compare to:
1. A plain muzzle?
2. A real flash suppresson (A2, phantom, vortex, whatever)?
3. A mini-y (surely much less)?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I had Kurt do an upper for me. I sent him a 16" Bushmaster upper. He turned down the barrel to lightweight configuration and installed an A3 Tac Brake. He did very nice work. The brake looks great, the carbine shoots great but as noted, this isn't an overnight proposition.
I sent the upper in mid February and got it back about 2-3 weeks ago.
I want to send him my Bushmaster M4 to have the Mini-Y Comp removed and a Tac Brake installed but as has been mention, I don't want to be without it for six months.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone here just ordered a KKF brake and installed it themselves?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy the Cav comp it comes with a hole drilled and a roll pin and it doesn't have the tool marks like the KKF brakes. You simply install the brake indexing it with a peel washer. Using the hole in the brake as a guide just drill it slightly into the barrel. Knock the role pin in and weld over the hole. Some companies like American Spirit Arms don't even weld over the holes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top