Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2003 5:49:48 PM EDT
I ordered a standard A2, 20", black Rock River Arms AR15 in early April of this year through a local dealer in the people's republic of Maryland.

It was promised to be delivered in 4 weeks, which  became 6 weeks, which became 8 weeks, then "the end of June" then any day now.

Well, I stopped by the store to get something else and asked about it, saying at the end of my question " I know you don't have it yet", but indeed it arrived yesterday (July 3, 2003). We got it out, looked it over, then I was told that we needed to fill out the paperwork.

This is an HBAR rifle, but because it doesn't say "match" anywhere on it (apparently this limits things to Colt, more or less), I had to go through the 7 day waiting period for restricted sales in this state.

I didn't want to argue the issue (you can't realy) and they were nice enough to stay after closing time for me to put the paperwork in that night and save a couple of days due to the holidays, but still....

I did get to take the manual home, at least.

If only I could have gotten it yesterday, the wife and kids are out of town....[fill in the blanks].
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! [beer]

It's a shame that you have to live in state like that. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell????

I saw your other post on your price.  THAT IS BULL FLOP!!!

1.  I just ordered the same gun, 20" A2 RRA from the Gun Shack in Mt. Airy MD for $720.

2.  He placed the order and said that we did NOT have to go through the assault rifle crap because it is an HBAR.

What shop did you go to so I know NEVER to go there???!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
For now, let's just say it was in Montgomery County, the least "gun friendly" county in Maryland.

I have no doubt that prices are too high in this part of  Maryland. Probably $50-$100 higher than elsewhere for handguns

I probably should have gone to a store that would co-operate with an ADCO transfer, since the prices  online through them were in the mid-high $700's at the time.

Better yet, I should have gone somewhere that the gun was in stock and only waited a week.

I have seen posts that indicate that the HBAR feature makes the rifle a non-restricted gun, but I have also seen posts that say some gunshops won't see it that way or take a chance. I know that Montgomery County is populated by people who are not going to take chances on this stuff; something in the water...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I live in Montgomery County, Mt Airy is just up the road, and out of the county.

I have a pretty good idea on the shop you ordered from.  Atlantic???

I first got turned to RRA there, but there prices are rediculus.

In Montgomery county.

New Glock at Galyans, $499
New Glock at Atlantic guns $699
Whats up with that????

Atlantic is fun to look, but I doubt I will ever buy anything from them, there prices are just stupid.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
For now, let's just say it was another shop in Montgomery County; there aren't many, as you know.

I didn't question the price so much at the time because the Iraq war was just about to start, posters on this and other boards were singing the praises of RRA (and complaining about long waits, indicating increasing demand), and this store was within $50 of the Galyan's price on other related items in the past. Part of that difference was attributable to the month of free range time that I valued at the time.

Anyway, when I DO get it, I will really be a New  RRA User.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I know who your talking about, I have not been in there for a long time, there shop is so small, and always seemed unfriendly.  But I was just a young pup not of legal age yet last time I was there.

I was told two weeks ago that it would be a month wait, I am fully expecting it to be much more than that before I get to call my self a RRA user, and fully become diagnosed with the black rifle sickness.

I joined the Carroll County range (outdoor, 25, 50, 100, 200 yard targets).  Its a 35 minute drive, but a good facility with nice people, $60 yearly, or $10 a visit, and you can use your own ammo.

I hate having to buy a ranges ammo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
My local Wildlife Management Area has free rifle, pistol, and archery ranges. You may have one near you in MD: [url]www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=wildlife+management+area+maryland+range[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was Atlantic Guns I hear ya! Those guys are ate up like a soup sandwich. The prices are unbelieveable. Especially for their pistols. I stopped in once long ago to ask if they had anything to clean some carbon buildup out of my HK USP barrel. I couldn't get it out. I brought in the barrel to show them. The guy behind the counter first tells me that it is a Sig barrel, and I don't know what kind of gun I have.. real cocky. Then he tells me to Dremel out the barrel. I turned around and walked out. What an ass.  THey had one used and abused AK there and it was an SAR2, and they wanted $450.oo dollars before taxes. It's a joke.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I suggest that you not make firearm purchases from them again.  HBARs DO NOT require a waiting period.  Even in Montgomery County.  Walk into the gun show at the MC Fairgrounds and you'll see that many/most dealers bring their HBARs - just because buyers "want their AR15 today" and they can legally meet that need with an HBAR.

They guys are jerking you around.  There are far better dealers within a 35 minute drive - cheaper too.

CWO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top