Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2003 5:01:12 PM EDT
Haven't read it yet, but the current (August)cover story on Guns & Ammo is titled...

"Awesome AR's! For Combat and Competition"

It's great to see everybodys favorite black rifle getting some coverage on a fairly plain jane gun rag.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the Cover look like?

AR's on the cover?

Thanks, [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the article and wasn't very impressed with the technical part. The only thing I did like was the added focus to the black rifle in a mag like Guns-Ammo. They did add a little info about the AWB and the fact that it is pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Grr., those magazines.  A while back i was in the store and saw a Shooting Times with a big picture of (what appeared to be) a bull-barreled Mini-14.  Not that I'm a fan of that gun, but the cover said in big, bold letters "Accurizing the Mini-14."  So I bought it, thinking it would be interesting to see what sort of things people are doing to their Rugers.  You know, action tuning, bedding, etc.  Well when I got home and read the article I realised I'd been suckered.  Turns out it was just an advertizement for a "barrel stabilizer" (which you can buy for a couple hundered bucks and glue it on your gun) masquerading as a magazine article.  I haven't bought a gun magazine since and probably won't.

Sorry, don't mean to jump in here and whine.  It's just an issue with me, I don't know why.  I just hate wasting my money.  Buyer beware.  It is good to hear that the AR is getting some press.  Maybe that may help someone realize it's just another gun like any other.
Don
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The funny thing about Guns & Ammo is that though informative, they are so commercially biased that everything they review is "good."  You'll never hear "Ater x amount of rounds the front sight fell off" or "X gun jammed after x amount of rounds"  Its almost all advertisement.  The best I've read for the black rifle genre is 'Guns & Weapons of Law Enforcemnt'.  Nothing about squarel shooting or black powder, just tactical guns and gear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to worry, I pretty much agree with what everyone else said. I was just suprised to see it as a cover article on G&A. usually it's the most current hunting rifle, SAS gun or the gun of the month! ;)

After reading the article, it was pretty much a fluff piece. About 5 pages (half pages actually) with just a brief history and an overview of current trends. But it was nice to see the AR in something besides G&WFLE.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it was pretty much a fluff piece. I know. I wrote it. For the space alloted, about all I could do was alert shooters of the AWB sunset, point out the sporting applications of the AR, and do a quick overview of current trends. I knew it wouldn't appeal to die hard AR fans. Instead I hoped to show the fence sitters among the shooting fraternity that it is a legitimate rifle worthy of respect. Maybe I'll get to do something more in-depth later.

Dan C Johnson
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, it was pretty much a fluff piece. I know. I wrote it. For the space alloted, about all I could do was alert shooters of the AWB sunset, point out the sporting applications of the AR, and do a quick overview of current trends. I knew it wouldn't appeal to die hard AR fans. Instead I hoped to show the fence sitters among the shooting fraternity that it is a legitimate rifle worthy of respect. Maybe I'll get to do something more in-depth later.

Dan C Johnson
View Quote

Wow, thanks for chiming in, and thanks for making the effort with the article. It's nice to see that attempts are being made to broach the mainstream.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope you will, Aimless. No doubt, the AR has been short-changed by the mainstream gun media.

Dan J
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
has anyone noticed that almost all gun review articles in a magazine also include a huge advertizement for the gun being tested? of course the magazine is going to give a good review.....otherwise no ad would be placed. i havnt read the article but i bet there is an ad for the gun somewhere in the mag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, it would be a pleasure to read an article on the versatility of the AR.
From front line rifle to varmiter.
If we could point out the many variants that are used by the sporting community, maybe we could get more positive feedback, and less knee jerk "assault rifle" labeling.

BTW: Welcome to our site Dan, this is THE place for AR info.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Ohioghog;
    It wasn't a gun review. There was a brief overview of four guns I fired and photographed for the article as well as some other makes mentioned. One, the Arma-Lite, had a small ad in the back of the magazine. The gun on the cover was a Les Baer and there were no ads.

That said, let me enlighten you on something. When a company introduces a new gun they are prone to run ads. Magazines are prone to publish reviews of new guns. As a result, the ads and the reviews often hit at the same time.

Personally, I pay little attention to what ads are running. For this article, I included a selection of firearm types. I wanted to look at low-end guns as well, like the Olympic Arms Plinker, but they didn't show up in time to meet my deadline.

Dan J

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Dan:

Welcome to the site.  I hope you find it informative both from the technical and social aspect of Sport Utility rifles.  We are a diverse group.  I hope you will be able to attend some of our events and meet the membership.  All that I have personally met have been great guys.  For what its worth and if it helps with your editors perhaps some market research.  These 40k + members spend alot of money on this sport/hobby.  Most have more than one rifle and are usually in accumulation mode.  Most shun ammo by the box as a waste of time and measure thier consumption in cases per year.  I think I tend to fall on the conservative side and know that I spend about $4k annually on this stuff.  Please get to know us and join us on the dark side as well AK guys are only cheap about the rifle, we spend for the accessories.  I don't think the average blue and walnut guy comes close to the $$$ power you will see here and we appreciate the recognition in the mainstream marketplace.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I lurk on a lot of forums and post occasionally. I like the AR, but then again I like most firearms. FWIW, I'll send a link to this thread to my Editor.

Dan J
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Does Guns&Ammo like the "Homeboy" Hollywood shooting technique?   It sure looked like some optics were mounted on the SIDE RAIL of the Les Baer in one of those photos... WTF![V]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dan:

Welcome to the site.  I hope you find it informative both from the technical and social aspect of Sport Utility rifles.  We are a diverse group.  I hope you will be able to attend some of our events and meet the membership.  All that I have personally met have been great guys.  For what its worth and if it helps with your editors perhaps some market research.  These 40k + members spend alot of money on this sport/hobby.  Most have more than one rifle and are usually in accumulation mode.  Most shun ammo by the box as a waste of time and measure thier consumption in cases per year.  I think I tend to fall on the conservative side and know that I spend about $4k annually on this stuff.  Please get to know us and join us on the dark side as well AK guys are only cheap about the rifle, we spend for the accessories.  I don't think the average blue and walnut guy comes close to the $$$ power you will see here and we appreciate the recognition in the mainstream marketplace.  Thanks again.
View Quote

You ARE on the conservative side.  I spent that much just in ammo last year!  

I want to add my welcome as well as echo some sentiments here.  Really only those few hunters who engage in African Safaries spend more time and money on this sport than the black rifle crowd.  It really is an untapped market for most gun magazines.

At any rate, welcome Dan and keep coming back it works!  Oh wait...wrong group...
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does Guns&Ammo like the "Homeboy" Hollywood shooting technique?   It sure looked like some optics were mounted on the SIDE RAIL of the Les Baer in one of those photos... WTF![V]
View Quote

It was  a flashlight.- Dan J
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to the site Dan, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.[:)] If you are the adventerous type, we will having a gathering of ARFCOM members in early Oct. up hear in VA(in case you can't make the TX event). The place is actualy pretty close to the NC boarder so it may not be that far from you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#22]
DAN. How about a hot link to your editor so we can show him the interest in the "Black Rifle"? Thank you for your effort. We need to see more on this in the main streem media.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Most popular magazines are falling on hard times, largely due to the internet.  There is an incredible amount of good, honest opinion available on this site, that you will NEVER see in 'Shooting Times' or 'Guns and Ammo'.
I have, at one  time or another, subscribed to gun rags, but not any longer.  If I want to find out about a particular product, it's all right here.  We are writing the best gun magazine ever, right here, right now.  And it's free!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Heya KingKnives,

Yup, picked-up the copy of the G&A at the lo-cal grocery store.

Gotta agree with the boys here and their comments too ... it ain't what it used to be. I gotta few old copies of G&A dated back in the 70's .... aahhhhhh .... nice mag back then.

I would like to see at least half their mag dedicated to the AR, with a boatload of fine info, such as you'd find here.

Ole Les seems to make a nice rifle ... still, I'd rather build me own.

Luvvvv them dern Carbines, I really really do!

Da ReCoiL JuNKie [50]

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most popular magazines are falling on hard times, largely due to the internet.  There is an incredible amount of good, honest opinion available on this site, that you will NEVER see in 'Shooting Times' or 'Guns and Ammo'.
I have, at one  time or another, subscribed to gun rags, but not any longer.  If I want to find out about a particular product, it's all right here.  We are writing the best gun magazine ever, right here, right now.  And it's free!!!
View Quote

Never-the-less, it is still important to support people who support our sport. Not everyone has access to the internet, or goes looking for sites dedicated to specific weapons. The article in G&A reaches out to people who otherwise wouldn't have been exposed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You folks (at G&A) didn't even cover BM or Colt. C'mon now! : ) Jason
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#27]
jason;
    As I tried to explain earlier, the article was not intended to be "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about ARs". No way to cover that in one article. I did mention both Colt and Bushmaster though. I just didn't have samples of their rifles to photograph and shoot.

Dan J
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Dan, go to the hometown forum and hook up with some local members, you'll get more line time with every conceivable set up than you could imagine!
Plus meet some good people as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the tip, Gunslinger.

Dan J
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tip, Gunslinger.

Dan J
View Quote

Dan,
even I understand the fight for space in each issue of your magazine.  However, in the AR-15/M-16 we're talking about a weapon that's been front line for the military for over forty years now and nearly that long as a rifle available to the shooting public.

There are AR-15 type weapons with 24" SS triple lapped match grade barrels that will shoot the ass off a rat at 600 yards - or more.  Close-combat variants that can be brought to bear on a target within fractions of a second.  And EVERYTHING in between !  If ever you could get an editor interested, a series of articles on the AR-15 is what's needed to really explore this rifle.

You could spend an entire issue just discussing the various accessories available - lights, day visible lasers, IR lasers, I couldn't begin to estimate how many scopes, including night vision, that are available.  It is not at all uncommon to have more money in accessories than in the rifle's cost.

Anyway, please remember:  The "AR" in AR-15 still stands for ARmalite (ArmaLite) !!

[b]And welcome to AR15.com - the finest board in all of gundom !![/b]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top