Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2003 2:10:22 PM EDT
is a shot gun mounted to an ar15 considered a destructive device or an AOW?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it depends on the shotgun's configuration. The knights masterkey is, IIRC, an AOW due to it's short barrel, and short OAL. There is an adapter out there that allows you to sling an 870 under the barrel. I believe that if the 870 is in a legal config, proper barrel length, and proper OAL, then it's okay.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey!

Where is this mount and where do you buy it?? Is it an arm and a leg?? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Masterkeys arent cheap BTW. [url]http://www.impactguns.com/store/product298.html[/url]

Either way its only a $5 transfer tax on AOW these days. I would love to get one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Better to carry a SG seperatly than weigh down your nice, lightweight carbine.

Just an opinion

Calvin
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC an AOW shotgun does not have (nor ever did have) a stock. It only has a pistol grip. If you install an AOW to your AR-15, then wouldn't the host AR-15 become the "stock" and require the shotgun to be registered as an SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun)?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding was to build this config, you needed to register the shotgun as a SBR. Once done, you were free to mount it to the AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Not that Ive heard. The shotgun doesnt has a stock so it falls into the AOW catagory.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
There was another thread on this not to long ago. They had the link for the adapter. It was basically a 203 rig for an 870. You're better off with a pistol grip'd shotty. Check out the D-boys in BHD, over the shoulder sheath.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm...Here are some truths...sort them out for yourself. This only concerns pump SGs and non-SBR ARs.

1. As long as a complete shotgun is over 26" long, you are OK. It is not illegal to not have a grip, nor is it illegal to not have a stock. You should only be concerned with the 26" when you leave your house with a complete weapon. SGs with folders must also be over 26" with the stock CLOSED.

2. A shotgun, when mated to an AR, becomes part of the AR. The entire length MUST be over 26".

3. Barrel length, unless you AOW it, MUST be at least 18".

4. What you do while staying within those parameters is your business.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmmm...Here are some truths...sort them out for yourself. This only concerns pump SGs and non-SBR ARs.

1. As long as a complete shotgun is over 26" long, you are OK. It is not illegal to not have a grip, nor is it illegal to not have a stock. You should only be concerned with the 26" when you leave your house with a complete weapon. SGs with folders must also be over 26" with the stock CLOSED.

2. A shotgun, when mated to an AR, becomes part of the AR. The entire length MUST be over 26".

3. Barrel length, unless you AOW it, MUST be at least 18".

4. What you do while staying within those parameters is your business.
View Quote

5. State laws very from state to state (shua!)

6. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
K!! No Masterkey!! Damn thing is spendy. Sucks![nono]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
something tells me that is never a good idea to begin with....
I mean think about it: if you're mounting a 12 gauge to your barrel and reciever, you're putting ALOT of force from the recoil on some sensitive parts on your precious (and somewhat low tolerance) AR...
Thats just my two cents worth.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks hella cool and all, but tht's a whole lotta weight to be on the front end of your carbine or rifle. 3 +1 rounds plus an 870 slung under is quite alot of weight for such a minor benifit(just breaching doors, realistically). Also the weight on the bbl will detract from your primary weapon's accuracy.

I agree with a seperate Folding stock thumper.
Anyways,Where the hell can you get the securing device for shotgun for the back of a tac vest???????
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyways,Where the hell can you get the securing device for shotgun for the back of a tac vest???????
View Quote

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen one already. It sure seems like there are a lot of companies making high speed low drag stuff lately.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top