Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2003 8:54:27 AM EDT
Hi guys. I've got a couple (More like a bunch) of questions regarding currently available AR-15 components for some rifle projects Myself and a few hundred other guys want to start on. I figured I'd ask the experts here and try to simplify things for Us a little.

Basically, We're a bunch of activated NG Mech' Sappers Who lost Our ticket overseas when Our host division's (1st Cav') initial deployment was scrubbed (AFTER Our weeks long train-up for deployment! lol). The Army, in it's infinite wisdom found another mission for Us for the next year (Conus) and now We're stationed at a remote DOD facility with nothing to do after the duty day's over but stare at jack rabbits and coyotes.

Myself and 50-60 (At last count) other guys want to put together at least one AR-15 for each of Us
but the range of options is staggering!  I've built AR's in the past for a dealer I worked for so it's not the technical side I'm worried about but I'd appreciate any feedback from You guys on what You think of the various manufacturers and upper configurations.

Right now We're looking at three companies for parts. Model 1, Rock river' and Bushmaster. Between the three of them I think everyone'll be able to pretty much do what they want at a price that fits their budget (Some guys wanna go with all Bushy parts for an "M4" build and others just want an A2 kit from Model 1 to put on their lower). We've got a dealer near Us to handle the FFL work on the lowers and We're going to start contacting Manuf' on monday to see if We can get a group rate on them.

So, finally the questions. ;)

1) Does anyone know if RRA makes complete kits? I see they have uppers and internal parts and stocks but I can't find "Kits" on their site.

2) Are model 1 parts "Decent". I've met the guys from Model 1 at shows in the past and always liked  the "Look" (Finish, fit ect) of their stuff but that's about the extent of My experience with 'em. Any good for a low end build?

3) Are the "Entry" type stocks (The shorter fixed stock) better than a fixed "folder" as far as length goes? I carry an M4 out on the DOD site and I'm not much of a fan of short stocks but something inbetween an A2 and a fully opened "Folder" would be interesting to try.

4) As far as lower recievers go are there any We need to stay away from? In the past I know I've had a heck of a time trying to fit parts into some of the stuff out there but I've been outta the loop for a while (My last post here was in june of '01 if that tells You anything) and now I see a bunch of unfamiliar manufacturers. any "Never buy" stuff You guys know about?

Thanks guys. Any advice or assistance from here would be greatly appreciated :) Have a great 4th.

Treadhead
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Skip the entry stock. Try an -a1 stock or get one from cav arms. The entry stocks are the same length as the collapsable stock when it is fully collapsed.
RRA makes great lowers. Eagle arms is another option. You should be able to get either as a stripped lower for around 100 bucks plus shipping and transfer. You could probably swing a pretty good deal ordering as many as you are looking at.
You could e-mail RRA and ask them about kits. But I have no idea if they do it.
A lot of people on the site seem to like the J&T kits.
J&T and Model 1 both have forums in the industry section.
There is a build it yourself section on the AR-15 board that is another great resource.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Stryfe.

I haven't looked at the J&T stuff yet but I'll check them out and have a look at the industry section.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like US gov't contractor parts, try M&A parts (www.m-aparts.com) they have AR15 kits as well as separate components, uppers are all by gov't contractor and headspaced/testfired by the contractor before shipping to ensure good headspace. Prices are competitive, too.

You guys probably don't want US Gov't Contractor M16/M4 kits and parts (unless you have proper BATF licensure), but they sell those also.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll check them out too DR.

You're right about the '16 and M4 parts. If anything breaks on one of them they just get sent to 3rd shop (maint).

Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top