Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2003 11:09:02 PM EDT
While I am not a big "gadget guy," I'd like to make a few adjustments to my Colt Match Target Competition HBAR.

If you were going to hang a 16" post-ban upper and "tactical" sling on your post-ban lower, what would your choices be? Please keep this is mind-LEO budget.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.cqbsolutions.com]CQB Solutions[/url].
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
CQB's site is making me warm & fuzzy...and the prices are right.

Whereabouts in NY, Vinnie?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Westbury, but I'll be in Brooklyn (probably at Stillwell, Brighton Beach or Ave X) this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
CQB Solutions:

One thing you should know.  I think that their newest and best sling, the "CST," is not their most expensive.

I had a long talk with the owner on the phone and he told me the CST is the culmination of all their sling research to date, and it is probably their best product.

I promptly ordered two and I had them in my hands within a couple of days.  They were right, the CST lives up to its promise.  It's not the most expensive, but it is probably the best they offer.  I am going to buy a few more asap.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, CST is looking good.

What about the 16" post-ban upper?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Can your budget cover a Bushmaster post-ban 16" M4 upper ($545 for the A2 type)?

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b16m4.asp[/url]

Or you could have them assemble the upper of your choice with the Superlight 16" (postban) barrel assembly:

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp[/url]

Bushmaster doesn't charge extra for assembling parts you buy from them.  I had my complete A1 upper assembled with the Superlight pre-ban barrel and Trijicon front and rear tritium sights.  Excellent stuff!

I second CQB Solutions, but I went with the HST single-point sling, as mounting a three-point sling would interfere with my Surefire M500A fore-end light with LED.

Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A colt upper receiver kit would be your most logical choice, for mfr continuity, finish matching, receiver fit, and a chrome-lined barrel.  You can easily find one of these in the shotgun news; R-Guns, CDNN, Ky Imports, JT Distributing all sell these at around the same price ~$400 +-$50.  Apparently, as we debated on this forum the mid lengths are en vogue these days and if I were to start totally new then going with one of these would be prudent.
(I have a carbine which I am totally content with).  The mids are apparently available from Armalite or Rock River.

As for slings, I have used an Eagle Industries tac-sling, a 3-point type like an H&K MP-5 sling.  I've taken it from the deserts of 29 Palms, to the snows of Bridgeport, CA and now in Karbala, Iraq from where I am typing this. (I am stationed in CA).  Its a great sling for around $30.  Another good one I've seen lately is from Spec-ops gear. it has some elastic bungee in it so you can muzzle tap someone (if you so desire).  Best of luck, that's my scoop!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been leaning towards the Colt for the reasons Lance1775 has mentioned but am keeping my options open. I am going to look hard at the Bushmaster, though. Many thanks for your replies.

Semper Fi, Lance. That's coming from a very proud Citadel classmate and friend of Captain Ben Sammis, USMC, Citadel Class of 1996. KIA in Southwest Asia, 5 April 2003.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Viking Tactics V-Tac sling.  It's the only sling I've ever been happy with and I've tried them all....
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
OK...another question.

GG&G Front Sight Sling Thing or not?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
No sling will last as long as the Giles slings from the Wilderness.

They get my vote in 3-point and single-point.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeesh...decisions, decisions.

I am going to wind up buying a second AR just so I can have two types of slings.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK...another question.

GG&G Front Sight Sling Thing or not?
View Quote

I say yes as the 16" handguards are too short for the wrap around attachment, IMO.  Of course, if you think you will want a light, get the SLic instead...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top