Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2003 11:01:50 PM EDT
Just got my AR back from John Norrell Arms in Little Rock.. Man.. Damn thing looks new!!  Had it done in his flat black finish, Almost a dead match for my short Bushmaster upper. If anyone needs this work done check out www.johnnorrellarms.com  Heck of a job..
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Have any pictures?

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
No, sorry no capability to do that yet. The best I can describe is an absolutely flat black, no shine whatsoever. My Oly had the orig finish which was a somewhat glossy black. Not bad but not at all what I wanted. Now it is an almost perfect match for my Bushmaster upper. I can use any solvent,clp,whatever and it seems to be very scratch resistant. This  is the same finish the military uses to arsenal refinish their M16s according to him, Ill tell you what, it looks super.. Sorry no pics..  also.. had a couple dings and some tooling marks.. he took those out too..
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How long did you have to wait from the time you sent to the time you received it back?

Did you have to strip the receiver of all the internal parts ETC?

Is this that fireflyarms SOCOM coating?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Took about 10 days, I sent the whole gun, handguards and all.. I am no smith even though ARs are easy.. If you have him do the work he will want the charging handle, selector (pretty much all externally viewable parts) so everything matches. I am not sure if it is the firefly finish you speak of, as I havent been to their website. But its flat with absolutely no sheen at all.. But SOCOM is mentioned in the finish description as this is the same finish HK uses on the Mark23 suppressor according to his site.. John
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How long did you have to wait from the time you sent to the time you received it back?

Did you have to strip the receiver of all the internal parts ETC?

Is this that fireflyarms SOCOM coating?

Thanks..
View Quote

Fireflyarms uses John Norrell's moly-resin coatings and he guarantees the finish for the original owner.  If it ever becomes scratched, he will touch it up or refinish it free of charge.  The only cost incurred is the shipping both ways.  His turnaround is about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
gmtmaster,

If you don't mind saying, what was the total charge?

[edit]  found answer on his website....$150
Glad you are happy with it.

[double edit]  Does your roll mark still look as crisp as it did before the refinish?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Explain roll mark, I may be thinking of something else..
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Roll mark would include the trademark, model name and or number, serial no....  Refinishing jobs can fill in the impressions that form them.  Do yours still look as crisp as before or thereabouts?

[img]http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/97/97044/folders/76003/496010IMG1153.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats what I thought you meant.. All is crisp and clean, nothing filled in.. In fact I emailed him and asked that same question as I had the same concern.. All is as it was before the refinish.. John
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a new black upper that I want to match my dark grey lower. So your saying I should send the whole thing? Or just send upper and take my chances?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I was instructed to send both to get the best color match.. I have an Oly upper and lower that I had done all at once.. Now the lower very closely matches my Bushmaster upper that I switch out sometimes.. If you are thinking about using the same refinisher as I, Email him for what he thinks is best as hes got other options besides just flat black.. John
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Warhorse, I am thinking the same way you are.  I am thinking about refinishing my upper to match my preban Colt lowers.  Since my lowers are in great shape,  I kinda want to keep them original.  The uppers I want to refinish are a flat top DPMS and a flat top Bushy.

gmt, glad to hear that your roll marks remain nice and crisp.  I was thinking of using DuraCoat to do a refinish of the uppers.  I need to talk to Mr. Norrell and get his input on the difference.  The folks at DuraCoat say that their product is superior (natch) and I would like to hear a rebuttal before making my choice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top