Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 4:45:49 PM EDT
there were threads last week on this board criticizing the NRA for not doing enough to fight the anti gun crowd,I had mixed feelings but not after I read the "NRA has 2 faces" article on this boards home page,they,the NRA is co sponsoring and supporting the "our lady of peace act"I think I got it right.with firearms owners greatest enemies charles shumer of new york,its a law that will eventualy let if passed BATF make the rules on what constitutes mental ilness and alow them to know information in medical records,this is intrusive and I cat beleive the NRA is in bead with shumer on this ,we would be better off suporing the GOA they have done more in california than the NRA..this is it after this year they will not get another penny from me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
IMNSHO...

The NRA as much as they are "helping" us, are stabbing us in the back.

I have gone on record here and to the NRA that we need to take a hard stance against the anti-rights idiots.

There also needs to be a hard core education of the NRA members, that the anti's are after ALL firearms, not just "black" ones.  Too many hunters, Clays and others users think that's what it's about.  They are brainwashed by the anti's lies.  Unfortunately, they won't believe it until someone comes after their stuff.

Adding:
[red]FWIW, I am a LIFE member of both the NRA AND GOA.[/red]
And to think I was a Golden Eagle at one time [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out what the NRA is supporting here in NC, makes the Lutenburg amendment look like childs play.

www.grnc.org
SB 919
ANALYSIS BY ATTORNEY VOLUNTEERING FOR GRNC

"The bill mandates that the subject of guns come up at every hearing -- before any order issues and if the complaint and plaintiff are completely silent as to any threat at all of gun violence. Even in a frivolous complaint (e.g. "He yelled at me"), before the court can dismiss it as utterly groundless and a waste of time, the judge must, by this law, CATALOG ALL THE DEFENDANT'S GUNS AND AMMO [Emphasis added]. If an ex parte order issues for some act completely unrelated to firearms (say, for spanking a child), another discussion of the defendant's guns is mandated again at the 10-day hearing." Further discussing the nature of Family Courts which are increasingly hearing these cases, he concludes: "I would be amazed if a protective order ever issued from these courts WITHOUT an accompanying seizure order."

Still looking for the text of the bill but the NRA is LOBBYING FOR THIS TO PASS!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
...and they're doing it with the money they collected from most of the people in this forum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
GOA all the way!!!!

the NRA can send all the "gifts" they want to get me to renew... i'm not giving those old crusty bastards another dime......

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What's New ??

If you give the NRA Money you minds as well just throw it out the window of your car on the freeway !!!!

Get the same Results !!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I belong to both, but I do feel like the NRA is whacked sometimes.  I mean, Charles Schumer???  I would find it nauseating to be in the same room as him, let alone supporting any piece of legislation with him.

No one will disagree that the mentally ill shouldn't have access to firearms.  But how do you define mentally ill?  Someone like Donald Rumsfeld is mentally stable.  Jeffrey Dahmer was not.  There is a huge grey area in between that is open to interpretation.  I am in the medical field and I would have problems deciding this.  Someone's close relative/friend dies and ends up on antidepressants for a few months, is that 'mentally ill'?  I see all kinds of medical problems labelled 'mental illness' and a lot of abuse of the law.  My 0.02.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The NRA picks the guns it likes and supports their ownership.  If high power competition was not shot with a "military style" rifle they would have supported the AWB.  They do not support Class 3 weapons, they do nothing to help them reform the much screwed up 1934 laws.  They seem to like "bubba goin huntin" or trap shooters for the most part.  They have recently taken a shine to cowboy action shooting because idiots playing dress up look pretty harmless.  

If I am not mistaken, the AWB also banned the Henry, 1866 and 1873 Winchester rifles as high capacity assault rifles because they held more than 10 shots.  You would think the NRA could have proven a 120 y/o rifle was a little far from "cutting edge" and had that removed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
So are you for the mentally ill owing guns.  I see nothing wrong with the NRA on this issue.
PAT
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No no one mentally ill should have a gun,but that dosent mean BATF gets to decide who is mentally ill and who is not by their interpretation and with the help of the NRA and shumer like was said in the editorial if a couple goes to marriage counseling for help under the ATF interpretation they would get to decide the couples mental stability and this info would be in a computer accesed data base,GOA all the way if all else fails fellas Ill see you in the trenches because they are not taking what I legally own,remember the constitution you cannot be deprived of LIFE,LIBERTY or PROPERTY without due process,due process is not in the ATF vocabulary.screw the NRA my money is going to GOA>
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The NRA takes such a big trashing and arse kicking from the press (GOA doesn't!) and so they support these type bills.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out what the NRA is supporting here in NC, makes the Lutenburg amendment look like childs play.

www.grnc.org
SB 919
ANALYSIS BY ATTORNEY VOLUNTEERING FOR GRNC

"The bill mandates that the subject of guns come up at every hearing -- before any order issues and if the complaint and plaintiff are completely silent as to any threat at all of gun violence. Even in a frivolous complaint (e.g. "He yelled at me"), before the court can dismiss it as utterly groundless and a waste of time, the judge must, by this law, CATALOG ALL THE DEFENDANT'S GUNS AND AMMO [Emphasis added]. If an ex parte order issues for some act completely unrelated to firearms (say, for spanking a child), another discussion of the defendant's guns is mandated again at the 10-day hearing." Further discussing the nature of Family Courts which are increasingly hearing these cases, he concludes: "I would be amazed if a protective order ever issued from these courts WITHOUT an accompanying seizure order."

Still looking for the text of the bill but the NRA is LOBBYING FOR THIS TO PASS!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Why should the judge know your armed anyway?

They shouldn't really. Besides I heard this bill has gone through some changes. Not that I support it.  Just don't hook up with a loser spouse.
CRC
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So are you for the mentally ill owing guns.  I see nothing wrong with the NRA on this issue.
PAT
View Quote

The issue here, Pat, is who gets to [b]define[/b] what constitutes mental illness, and therefore, a person's "qualification" for owning firearms.  

Have you ever been to a trial or observed how law is practiced?  Definition is [i]vital[/i]!  Remember Billy Boy and "what the meaning of 'is', is"?  

The BATF is an agency of the Federal Government that is not exactly wanting as many people as possible to own guns, and as such would make a terrible entity to be awarded such powers.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PAT
View Quote

It's how 'mental illness' is defined that could be the problem.  

How many honest gun owners have gone through depression?  That can be considered a 'mental illness'.  Are you willing to bet your RKBA on the fact it CAN'T happen to you?  You'd be amazed just how easy it CAN happen to you...

If we compromise, we all lose... and the NRA has been leading the compromise charge for years...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I just joined GOA online. Unfortunately my gun club requires NRA membership to remain a member of the club. I'll have to attend the next meeting of the officers of the club and bring up the issue of NRA cowardice. Maybe they will accept membership in GOA in lieu of NRA membership. Too bad I just renewed my NRA membership.

Shabo
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I left NRA years ago, after they see-sawed back when Bush Sr. criticized them.  

GOA.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I know you people have heard this before but I think it needs repeating. Without the NRA you would have no gun-rights to complain about. Most of the time you can find a place to join for $25 a year. I don't think that is a high cost to help show a greater number in the ranks. This is kind of like voting. If you don't take part, don't bitch when the system doesn't perform the way you want. There is nothing wrong with joining other groups, but if you aren't supporting the NRA you are only hurting yourself.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Links to GOA information please........
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#19]
[url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#20]
The NRA if they are doing this they are a punch of idoits how could they support such a bill PUN OUT
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The NRA ALWAYS SELLS US OUT!! They play the political game and end up compromising our rights away, one at a time!

NRA supported NICS . . . they will tell you that it was to "avoid" an x-day waiting period. However this is like saying "would you like me to cut off your hand or your leg" and bragging that you saved the person's leg by sacrificing their hand!

They will end up waffling on an AWB bill of some sort and give away more of our rights, just watch them in action.

BTW: I am a Life Member of NRA (since late 1970s-early 1980s), but quit sending them any more money because of their compromising ways. We have GOAL in MA and the Exec Director is a NO-Compromise leader, and that is where my support goes locally. I am a GOAL Sustaining Member and their Club Rep for one club (of the two that I belong to).
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The big danger is that we're making the ATF the ultimate "authority" on weapons.  They are already pretending to be the judicial and legislative branch, creating new "laws" from their letter rulings...when all they should be doing is enforcing laws on the books.  Guess who the mentally ill people are going to be...anyone who supports the 2nd amendment!  Piss the ATF off and they'll deem you mentally ill, then come and take away your guns.  They have a history of staging felony posession in order to simply remove someone from their path (removing their ability to own a firearm at all).  This will give them serious power to make any group of people they want look like mentally ill.

Personally I think every free citizen should be entitled to own a firearm...and that we should simply not LET PEOPLE OUT of the mental hospital or the prison until they can be trusted with a firearm.  Imagine how many repeat offenses this would have prevented.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#23]
the government is too deeply entrenched at all levels.

the "proper" way, thru representation is/has  FAILED.

I'm affraid it has come to, or will VERY soon, where we'll have to defend the Constitution ourselves.

Most Americans, IMNSHO are pussies and/or certfiable IDIOTS.  They have been brainwashed by a corrupt "system", playing right into the hands of the government.

SOMETHING needs to grab these idiots by the balls and get their attention. Sept 11 sure as hell didn't do it.  What's it gonna take?  I sure don't know, but something needs to be done.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]

yes, they are
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Just signed up as a life member for GOA.  I suggest everyone else do the same, and write the NRA a letter explaining why they're a sellout.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey y'all.  As you can see, I'm new to this forum and AR's, but I've been involved in the ballistic sports for more than 40 years.  So if you can stand listening to an old fart, I'd like to offer my $.02 worth.

We can rant and rave all we want about the NRA selling us out or this politician not backing us up but before we are so quick to condemn, I think we should take a long, cold, dispassionate look at were we are today.  

The Supreme Court, just last week, ruled that the Constitution can be disregarded in light of a "compelling interest".  Am I just being paranoid or is this a precedent for things to come. I too have been disappointed by some of George W's policies but I think we would be wise to remember that the next President will appoint a Supreme Court Justice or two.  Would you really want that appointment to be made by a Democrat?

While I'm sure that GOA is a fine organization, I don't know much about them.  Perhaps that is the point.  The NRA has for years been out front in the fight to keep and maintain our gun rights.  They have been trashed, mis-represented, ridiculed and out-right lied about.  If their tactics have turned more guerrilla than frontal assult perhaps its of necessity.  Couldn't you see Schumer on all the networks proclaiming that the NRA is in favor of giving weapons to the mentally ill?  And who would you like to see define mentally ill? GOA? You know that's not going to happen.  How about the CDC, or NIMH, or some social worker?

Right now I'm a member of USPSA (DVC!)but at different times I've shot trap and skeet, bullseye, BR and even fooled around a little with service match but every year, come the fall, I'm one of those "bubba goin hunting" types.  Am I selling us out?  That's your call to make.  But I think there are probably more votes in NYC than in NC and if we aren't perceived as responsible and reasonable the media and the Democrats will see to it that today's gun laws will be looked back upon as the "good ol' days".

While I'm familiar with the concept of "slippery slope", I'm also aware that this isn't the America of my youth.  Each generation has to re-invent itself and with it, the nation.  As Battleships have no tactical importance anymore, perhaps we should be considering more cunning and less confrontation?  Its really up to you young fellows to decide, choose well.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Read the article starting on page 50 of July's American Rifleman magazine. The NRA has already said that defeating any extention of the AWB is a top priority and now they printing articles saying the same thing in thier magazine and urging members to call thier reps. They aren't perfect, but I don't feel that they are sell out either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't trash NRA for the few things they did wrong vs. the many they did right.  Also, NRA membership in some clubs (at least 50% of members) is mandatory sometimes because they will insure shooting ranges and facilities when others either will not or only insure for outrageous premiums. Really read the NRA magazine sometime and you can see how much they really do. NRA is more than a lobbying organisation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top