Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 4:23:18 PM EDT
I couldn't find one at Numrich, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find an SP-1 bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you mean by an "SP1 bolt carrier". Since all AR bolt carriers interchange, any available carrier will work.

Are you trying to find a Colt made carrier only? One marked "C" on the side.  Does it have to be a full circle rear end, and also have the underside milled out under the firing pin? Or are you just after a carrier that will work in your SP1?

Give us a little more detail on what you're looking for, and it's possible someone on site will be able to help.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I suppose that it would make more sense to add some description.  A friend of mine is looking for an original bolt carrier for his SP-1 without the cuts for the forward assist.  I have to admit I'm not that familiar with them in general, but if I remember correctly the early SP-1 carriers had the flat milling on the bottom, like an M-16 bolt carrier.  I'm guessing he'd prefer a Colt, but any info would be appreciated.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been many years since I've seen a Colt (or any other manufacturer's) bolt carrier without the foward assist serrations. SP1's in the very early 70's had the serrations, and did not have the foward assist assemblies. Foward assists did not show up on AR-15's till the early 80's.
The M16 bolt carriers had them, and it must have been cheaper to produce the AR bolt carriers with them the without them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's been many years since I've seen a Colt (or any other manufacturer's) bolt carrier without the foward assist serrations. SP1's in the very early 70's had the serrations, and did not have the foward assist assemblies. Foward assists did not show up on AR-15's till the early 80's.
The M16 bolt carriers had them, and it must have been cheaper to produce the AR bolt carriers with them the without them.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  Colt never made any "AR15" parts in and of themselves.  They've always just modified M16 stuf to conform to their idea of what an AR15 should be at any given moment in time.  As soon as the A1, with the forward assist was adopted, all AR15 bolt carriers were simply made from cut back M16A1 carriers, with the left over early upper recievers w/o the forward assist. I seriously doubt that any owner of an original AR, without the assist cuts, would be willing to part with his original carrier.

There is one hope tho.  Since the military has been selling off M16 and M16A1 uppers, as they convert the old pieces to the A2 format, he might be able to latch on to an early, Air Force contract, M16 bolt carrier.  If he can find one, tell him to expect it to be well used, and probably very pricey. So far as I know, that's his best shot at a Colt unnotched carrier.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the tips, that certainly makes sense.  Now I've got something else to check out on an old SP-1 the next time I see one.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/[/url]

[img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/sp1_smoothsidecarrier_159.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What happened to the bolt carrier, that it needs replaced?
I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just trying to see what needs to happen, so a guy has to replace a bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Authenticity, I'm guessing.  At least it's something to look for at the gunshows.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Going OEM is nice. That's just as good as a  reason as any.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top