Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 10:24:01 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these that could leave us some feedback?  Thanks...
www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Umm, yes.  They are incredibly awesome, and I say that in the most massively perjorative sense you could imagine.

Buy a case, and if you are dissappointed, you are a moron.

This is without a doubt the best stuff man has invented.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto Torf.

But I would add more per-jor-a-(?)-tiv-e stuff...

[:D]

--LS
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
[url=http://renegade.tgtech.com/4fun/Boom1.mpg]Easy Texas Tree Stump Removal[/url]

[url=http://renegade.tgtech.com/4fun/Boom2.mpg]Gone Fishin'[/url]

There are better ones on AK47.net, but I do not have the exact link.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It just so happens.....

Bowling with Tannerite
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=19372&iGalleryUnq=574&iImageUnq=11627[/img]

And this is how it comes....
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=19372&iGalleryUnq=574&iImageUnq=14114[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
More fun to get incindiary tracer rounds, that way no matter what you hit, you can still have fun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder who he got for the hammer tests?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with these that could leave us some feedback?  Thanks...
[url]http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url]
View Quote

Just ordered a case. Thanks for the great info!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More fun to get incindiary tracer rounds, that way no matter what you hit, you can still have fun.
View Quote

I take it that you're in the military? How are incindiary rounds available for civilian use?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I take it that you're in the military? How are incindiary rounds available for civilian use?
View Quote

Who says civilians can't use them?  Dealers can't sell certain rounds, but non-dealers can.  Perhaps someone can clarify (I can't recall all the specifics).

As to Tannerite - [b][red][size=6]AWESOME!!![/b][/red][/size=6]

I just blew some a few weeks ago.  The Tannerite mix is now even more potent than the earlier stuff.  Daniel Tanner is a great guy of the highest order.  Did you know he is a C3?  He may actually be a C7 but I can't recall.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED!  It is extremely safe to handle and use, blows like dynamite.  You can use it to clear stumps (used properly), which is what that kind of stuff is made for in the first place.  Your centerfire rifle round becomes the blasting cap.  A real CROWD PLEASER.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The trick is to VERY thoroughly mix them... and yes, a .223 will set them off nicely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got 2 cases in today but I didn't receive any information for the mixture. Can anyone post or scan the information for me until I can get a video in the mail. I would like to try some this weekend. Thanks!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
All you have to do to make one exploding target is:

1. Take the bottle of nitrates and get them all loose in the bottle (hit it with your hand) to get out all the clumps.

2. Using the measuring spoon that comes with the case, measure out 1 of those full of the catalyst.

3. Now here is the tricky part.  If there is room in the bottle of nitrates for the catalyst, add it directly to that.  Use a funnel, it helps.  But, if there is no room, use the static mixing container w/ the case and pre-mix both the catalyst and the nitrates together.

4. Close the non-static mixing container with the catalyst lid and shake around for about 20-30 seconds (or until entire mixture is gray).

5. Next, pour out the mixture into any container you want, like the original bottle or a Pepsi bottle.

6. Shoot it!  Note: It has to be a high powered rifle, from my experience a .223 or 5.56 round does not set it off.  I cannot even get my 7.62 SAR to set it off.  But anything higher than a .243 will do.

Be safe and have fun.  If you have any questions, wait until the video arrives.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6. Shoot it!  Note: It has to be a high powered rifle, from my experience a .223 or 5.56 round does not set it off.  I cannot even get my 7.62 SAR to set it off.  But anything higher than a .243 will do.
View Quote

???  The current sensitizer component in the Tannerite has been improved.  I used to use a .308 or 30-06, but now I find they easily detonate with standard .223/5.56 out of an AR-15!!!  No problems with any of the 20 targets from the last case using an AR-15. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I beg to differ, but a .223 will definitely set these off.  The first one I "popped" was shot with an AR at about 50 yards.  That seemed a little close so we moved out another 50 yards or so and starting using a .308 (only thing with a scope that day).  If you're worried (and at 8 bucks apiece that is understandable), use a bigger gun.  I suppose a less than direct hit with a smaller caliber might not make them go off.

From my experience, the biggest problem with them not working is not being mixed thoroughly.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Weird...I thoroughly mixed up evevry bottla I had and I could not make them go off.  Even at about 20 yards, using my SAR-1, I could not make it go off.  I know, that is dangerous and I knew it would be, but that day I could not figure out why not even a 7.62x39mm bullet would not cause a detonation.  So I went for my dad's .243 and that did the trick.  I guess I will have to order another case to try it out using some more .223, and maybe this time it will detonate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The only time I have seen a 5.56mm round fail to set off a bottle of Tannerite was a bottle that was mixed and then not used for several weeks. This bottle was also mixed by someone that may not have done a thorough job of mixing.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#17]

3. Now here is the tricky part.  If there is room in the bottle of nitrates for the catalyst, add it directly to that.  Use a funnel, it helps.  But, if there is no room, use the static mixing container w/ the case and pre-mix both the catalyst and the nitrates together.

4. Close the non-static mixing container with the catalyst lid and shake around for about 20-30 seconds (or until entire mixture is gray).

5. Next, pour out the mixture into any container you want, like the original bottle or a Pepsi bottle.

View Quote

3) Always mix outside of the nitrate container. Using the provided mixing cup is prefferred, but some folks use a large ziplock baggie.

4) Use a tongue depressor or something similar to mix it. Shaking it will not break up the clumps.

5) Put it back into the original container.

6) You are not mixing it right if a 5.56 does not set it off. See above instructions.

All of this is in the directions. If you do not have the directions, call Tanner up and get them. He also provides a cool VHS tape of how it is done.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only time I have seen a 5.56mm round fail to set off a bottle of Tannerite was a bottle that was mixed and then not used for several weeks. This bottle was also mixed by someone that may not have done a thorough job of mixing.
View Quote

No flame intended, and I don't know what the circumstances were in your case but...

Unless you have an explosives license and approved battery (storage container) one must only mix the Tannerite on site and be used within 24 hours.  If you don't, or you transport it mixed, it is a violation of federal laws.

On a more practical note - after you have mixed the Tannerite, wait a few minutes for the chemicals to react and be more sensitive.  Besides the rules I mentioned above, it is bad to keep the mix, or separate components stored after exposure to air.  It seems to be somewhat hydroscopic (soaks up water out of the air).  I used to put the sensitizer into the individual bottles and shake the crap out of it.  Now I pour it all into a larger container (tupperware), shake it up for a minute, then pour it all back into the bottles, but only enough that I will be sure to use the mixed portion all up.

Shal1, I am not sure you beg to differ about my comment about the sensitizer being improved - but Daniel Tanner himself told me the ratio of the critical chemical in the sensitizer has been increased.  He also seems to give you more of it as my first cases seemed a little skimpy on the sensitizer.

mattld, are you sure you used at least a full tablespoon (not teaspoon) of the sensitizer per bottle of nitrates?  Are the clumps busted up and have you mixed the two well?  If you shoot a bottle and just make a hole or nick that allows some of the mix to spill out, it can negatively impact the detonation.  I had one bottle just kind of fizz out when that happened, no sharp loud boom.

Perhaps the elements are lacking in the components you have - I recommend you call Dan Tanner and discuss it with him, I would not be surprised if he replaces or rectifies your batch.  He is a gentleman and great guy.  He is also into guns, big time (I think he is a C7 manufacturer).  He shows off some machinegun shoots in the video at the end - it's a riot!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No flame intended, and I don't know what the circumstances were in your case but...
View Quote

No counter-flame intended but:

If you read it like I wrote it then you can plainly see that I am talking about someone other than myself.

Now, who should I call to turn this person in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah Mike, I used the included measuring spoon that came with the case.  And yes, te clumps were all busted up.  Maybe it has something do do with the location?  The day I first used it was on a hot Texas afternoon in the full sun (probably like 105+ in the direct sun).  I shook it all up and mixed it real nice and set it on the ground.  I first tried my SAR-1 (7.62x39mm) and after a few misses and some steps toward the bottle, I hit it dead center of the bottle from no more than 20 yards away.  And I mean DEAD CENTER.  The bottle was struck and tumbled back about 15 feet.  

It was then inspected, set back up, and shot again from same distence.  Same thing occured then too....direct hit no explosion.

We then got out my friend's dad's .243 abnd with one shot it went off.  We blew another 4-5 bottles that day.  All were mixed thoroughly and no clumps were in the bottles.  I also tried it with my Mini-14 and had no luck.  But time and time again, both the .243 and the 30.06 did the trick.  It beats me as to why the smaller rounds did not make it go off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Look in SGN. A number of ads for tracer rounds.
AK_Mike what part of BAMA you in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Well a good exploding target for me since we cant use incendiary stuff is a nice 1-5 gallon jug o water or shaken soda or skunk beer cans and Hornady 60G TAP rounds
creates an impressive liquid explosion and makes a mess out of the range
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
AK MIKE,

No, I was not responding to your post but the one previous to yours... that a .223 would not set these off when they definitely do.  I have no idea if they are made more sensitive now, but mine certainly worked great!

The only problems I had were 1) mixing related, and 2) one where the edge of the bottle was nicked with the first shot... both my fault.

Otherwise, they are AWESOME!

Scot
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No counter-flame intended but:

If you read it like I wrote it then you can plainly see that I am talking about someone other than myself.

Now, who should I call to turn this person in?
View Quote

Oslo,  I never said it was you that commited a  violation. I just that it may be a violation depending if the person you were talking about (as in, I don't know if that person has an explosives license or not). I referred to "your case" as in, your situation with the other party as you seem to have physically been present.  So no offense taken, none given, and sorry if I worded my post poorly.  Were I you, I wouldn't call ATF, but I would tell that person about the relevant laws, then I would stay far away from him if he is the type that routinely breaks the law as I wouldn't want to get caught up in something due to him.  Of course, that person may just be ignorant of the laws, which is why I posted what I did - to protect others from potential legal problems, and possible causing problems for other Tannerite users (don't want to give ATF more cause to squash this fine product)

So if you want to call someone about that person, ATF, explosives/compliance division I suppose.  It's your call.

mattld:  The spoon provided is kind of small, when I use it, I use a heaping rounded spoon full.  It still sounds like you may have had a 'bad batch', and as such I would call Dan Tanner and see if he agrees and could replace the duds.

ybh_613:  Tracers won't make any difference, Tannerite cannot be ignited with flame.  If you get to see the instruction video, Dan sets a blowtorch directly on a bottle of Tannerite, and the only thing that happens is the bottle melts, and the Tannerite probably stunk a little.  And as to BAMA, sorry, I'm in AK (Alaska)- that's a real polar bear looking in a window of one of our radar stations.  Usually people mistake AK for Arkansaw, and AK_Mike as in AK-47.  Never even been to Alabama, but wish I were on days like yesterday where it snowed 3 inches already.

Tracers, a Tannerite target in a plastic jug with some gasoline - now we are talking!  Something I am planning to try out myself.  SOF Firepower Demo during the conventions would use 1/4 or 1/8 sticks of dynamite (I am guessing) in jugs filled with a little gas.  Made for awesome explosion with hard slap (dynamite) and big fireball (gas).  Probably still don't need the tracers cause the Tannerite would most likely ignite the gas.

Shal1, that's what I thought, and I fully agree with what you say - a .223 should set if off with no problems, given that you haven't winged the bottle first, causing it to leak.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#25]
One bottle of Tannerite taped to a tree. Guys, order some of this stuff! It sounds like the thunder from down under!
It is freaking awesome! [img]http://home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/tannerite_tree.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!

The tree-hugger environmentalist wackos will be lobbying to ban tannerite AND duct tape.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got in my 8 cases of tannerite and I love this stuff,I have had no problems with setting if off with 5.56 or 50 cal. also tannerite is a dry explosive and will not ignite gas, try placing a bottle of tannerite under a half gallon of gas or diesal and place "lit" roadflares 4-5 feet above ,but not directly over the gas can .when shooting the tannerite it will vaperize the fuel. very nice fireball. do this in a open field with nothing that can catch on fire.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got in my 8 cases of tannerite and I love this stuff,I have had no problems with setting if off with 5.56 or 50 cal. also tannerite is a dry explosive and will not ignite gas, try placing a bottle of tannerite under a half gallon of gas or diesal and place "lit" roadflares 4-5 feet above ,but not directly over the gas can .when shooting the tannerite it will vaperize the fuel. very nice fireball. do this in a open field with nothing that can catch on fire.
View Quote

Yep. Used LC 5.56 M193 Ball on mine.
Most fun I've had in awhile!! 8 cases? wow! I ordered 2 cases by mistake (meant to order 1) now I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All you have to do to make one exploding target is:

6. Shoot it! Note: It has to be a high powered rifle, from my experience a .223 or 5.56 round does not set it off. I cannot even get my 7.62 SAR to set it off. But anything higher than a .243 will do.

View Quote

Please refrain from posting step-by-step descriptions for this kind of stuff.

BTW... .223 will easily set it off. The trick is to actually HIT the target.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#30]
The proper mixture ratio is:

1 bottle
1 level [b]table[/b]spoon

If this ratio is mixed in the proper way (mixed in a tupperware container and shaken), a .223 will set it off.

I only have seen 2 duds.  

One was when we floated the bottle in a pond.  The bullet struck the bottle, but didn't detonate.  I wonder if it was just a fluke, or if the water robbed enough energy to prevent a detonation.  Water also may have gotten mixed with the mixture, but I doubt that.  Anyone else try it?  If you are wanting to detonate a bottle in a pond, I would recommend floating the bottle on a raft of styrofoam.

Another dud happened when I shot the bottle with a light handload.  It was a .223 Rem, but the bullet was a 40 gr. V-Max and the powder was on the light end of the range (21 grains of IMR 4198).  Bottle just popped open and I lost all the mixture.

[:(]

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#31]
The round has to be traveling at +3000fps. That's why a 7.62x39 won't set it off. It's not the weight of the bullet but the speed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]
[BS]  I have fired many cartriges that cannot hit 3000+ fps and have detonated the Tannerite.

As far as no flame, I swear I and others have seen a small amount a flame in the center of the explosion (just before primary detonation).  However, I also think that it would not be enough in anycase and also must recommend a nearby source of flame (over even using tracers since the round will be long gone before the gas is dispersed properly).

The more sensitizer you use, the more detonation is ensured, and full explosive potential is realized - to a certain point.

Mix it well my brothers and you should have no problems.  Tupperware is good...mmm...
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The round has to be traveling at +3000fps. That's why a 7.62x39 won't set it off. It's not the weight of the bullet but the speed.
View Quote

Not correct.  A .308 Win and .30-30 Win will set it off and neither of them is even close to 3000 fps.  The 30-30 is probably more like 2400 fps, but it reliably detonates Tannerite.

I am suprised that a 7.62x39 would have troubles.  Maybe it wasn't mixed correctly?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top