Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2003 11:04:59 PM EDT
i'm new here and i'm finding alot of great stuff. i've been looking at several different ones. i've looked at the colt A3 elite, shot a colt flatop hbar, looked at a bushmaster varmiter, looked at the armalites, and an olympic. i'm looking for an AR that can serve as a ranch rifle, acurate but can still be tactical. if i understand right, it is ok to own a sound suppressor with the right paper work. that would be a huge benefit as to the fact that i'm around alot of livestock. can a suppersor be mounted on certain barrels? i've been reading some stuff about the different barrels. a low maintenence one would be great. so far i've gathered that chome lined is the way to go. what about stainless? what are the pro's and cons? i would greatly appreaciate any input as im noticing there are alot of people here that know their stuff. thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome  [beer]

As far as buying an AR15, stick with your ABCs (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt) and get a chrome-lined.  Armalite and Colt tend to be a bit more expensive than a Bushy but all are great shooters.  I recommend getting an A3/A4 upper (flattop) so that you can mount optics.  I assume you will be buying a brand new AR which means that you will be buying a postban.  This means that it would be illegal to attach a flash suppressor on the barrel, however you can attach a brake.  Remember one thing, if noise is a factor, then do not get a brake because it will reduce recoil but increase sound.  Recoil really shouldn't be a factor with an AR.  Maybe this will help.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
so on a post ban gun you cant have a flash supperssor or a noise suppressor either? you suggested chrome lined. what are the benefits of chrome over non and the benefits of stainless?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
A Chrome plated bore is very slightly less accurate (that's why you'll rarely if ever see a National Match chrome plated barrel) but more resistant to corrosion and wear. Unless you are shooting in competition with sub MOA accuracy, you'll probably never notice the difference. The Military chrome plates its bores because of the harsh conditions their rifles are expected to weather and to reduce wear, but a non-chromed bore will work fine unless you neglect it. Some swear by chrome plating but I have had both, and prefer the non chromed. All a matter of preference. There are lots of articles on the web concerning this, as well as opinions..
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick with your ABC's. As for the sound suppressor its not legal on a post ban as was said before. The reason is BATF consideres them highly efficient flash hidders.
PAT
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top