Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 11:02:54 PM EDT
Anyone hearing anything?  who wants what? What is it and who's making it?  Whats the story? I haven't heard much about it for awhile!  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the latest thing to happen is the MDNS (Mini-Day Night Sight) solicitation requested by Crane.

The MSNS not only requested a new sight for proposal, but related support and upgradeable components. Many companies like ARMS, Knight's and LMT showed there new mounting platforms for the requested optic.

It should be interesting to see the outcome of the solicitation.

ls
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
LordStoner is correct.  Just a few weeks ago WE WERE ALL on stage for presentations to Crane's staff and some user rep's as well.
It started on a Tuesday with briefings for what Crane/SOPMOD II calls "RIS II", or just, "the next rail system".  Criteria was: had to FF host wpn barrel, also while M203 was attached, also when new "advanced grenade launcher" was attached. As we (KAC) were waiting in the lobby for our scheduled presentation, Uncle Dick walked out, and a few minutes later followed by his ARMS staff. So I assume they were briefing their new rail forend.  We went in next and briefed URX-2.  Later at the hotel I met the Daniel Defense Team, so I assume they briefed a new forend that day as well.  Karl Lewis from Lewis Machine & Tool was a briefer as well.
Wednesday was Back-Up Iron Sight briefing Day, and again KAC, Arms, Daniel, & LTM were briefers.  I think there were some others as well, could have been more rail guys the day before as well.
Thursday was "Clip-On Night Sight" day, and we briefed our (KAC) Universal Night Sight.  Right in front of us that morning was about six folks from Insight Technologies, as they pased through the lobby right before we went in.
So this Phase of the SOPMOD-2 Solititaion is complete.  We all now wait...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you tell us anything about the BUIS?

Thanks,

Scott
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
MDNS.......What is this (as much as one can say)?  A red dot type or just BUIS and front sight applications for both day and night? I cannot wait to see URX2 by the way!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LordStoner is correct.  Just a few weeks ago WE WERE ALL on stage for presentations to Crane's staff and some user rep's as well.
It started on a Tuesday with briefings for what Crane/SOPMOD II calls "RIS II", or just, "the next rail system".  Criteria was: had to FF host wpn barrel, also while M203 was attached, also when new "advanced grenade launcher" was attached. As we (KAC) were waiting in the lobby for our scheduled presentation, Uncle Dick walked out, and a few minutes later followed by his ARMS staff. So I assume they were briefing their new rail forend.  We went in next and briefed URX-2.  Later at the hotel I met the Daniel Defense Team, so I assume they briefed a new forend that day as well.  Karl Lewis from Lewis Machine & Tool was a briefer as well.
Wednesday was Back-Up Iron Sight briefing Day, and again KAC, Arms, Daniel, & LTM were briefers.  I think there were some others as well, could have been more rail guys the day before as well.
Thursday was "Clip-On Night Sight" day, and we briefed our (KAC) Universal Night Sight.  Right in front of us that morning was about six folks from Insight Technologies, as they pased through the lobby right before we went in.
View Quote

Thanks very much for some useful information.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

All that weighing, measuring and fondling of parts takes time!  [;)]

Coldblue, LMT is new to me.  Do you know what they have produced in the past?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
GG&G = NO SHOW?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All that weighing, measuring and fondling of parts takes time!  [;)]

Coldblue, LMT is new to me.  Do you know what they have produced in the past?
View Quote

LMT is Lewis Machine an Tool. They been a AR parts manufacture for years. They been a supplier of AR related parts for almost every AR manufacturer in the country. They have just recently become interested in developing concepts and product for future Military, Law Enforcement and Civilian needs. They are trying to be a big name in the industry. What out Knight's.......

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Coldblue, LMT is new to me. Do you know what they have produced in the past?
View Quote

Check this site for MSTN - they have the LMT fixed rear sight for flattops.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
LMT makes alot of the recievers for the Mil. and FBI as well.  MSTN uses their uppers and etc. and loves them.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can you tell us anything about the BUIS?

Thanks,

Scott
View Quote

The big difference is that the solicitation implied they wanted the folding element to better maintain its lowered and elevated positions.  So we added a little lever at the front of the base that allows you to lock the folding part down or up.  Best thing about this is that you don't have to use it, and the sight works fine (as it is spring/detent loaded) without the extra step of manipulating the lock.
ColdBlue home on vacation sends....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Ooooo, new gadgets.

We need to have an annual ARFMOD Conference where all the AR15 manufacturers bring us new toys to look at and sample.

Of course without the incentive of large contracts to offer, that is going to be a lot more difficult I imagine [:)]

What do you think coldblue? I'll empty out my change jar if you guys want to make an appointment. In the meantime, can we expect to see any of the Knight's offerings making their way to the regular product line?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ooooo, new gadgets.

We need to have an annual ARFMOD Conference where all the AR15 manufacturers bring us new toys to look at and sample.

Of course without the incentive of large contracts to offer, that is going to be a lot more difficult I imagine [:)]

What do you think coldblue? I'll empty out my change jar if you guys want to make an appointment. In the meantime, can we expect to see any of the Knight's offerings making their way to the regular product line?
View Quote

Maybe no big contracts but we can offer them pizza and Beer.....[beer]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess Crane is gearing up to begin awarding contracts, procure and field the items mentioned above very soon.

It looks like they are behind on the original schedule for Block II (PMOD, GLDNSM, FMBS)which were originally scheduled for first quarter FY 03.

I would expect them to begin procuring new items at the beginning of this fiscal year (fall 03).

The begining of the FY is when the Govt usually spends the big bucks.

From what I understand the rest of the goodies for BLK 2 should be comming out late 2005 (CNVD, EGLM and ECOS etc)

It will be interesting to see what items are chosen.

Calvin
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Vapor-Trail,

Can you expand on all those abbreviations any?    [:)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Horik

Sorry about that man. Us squids love using acronyms.

PMOD= Platform modification , the basic changes to the M4 carbine itself minus accessories to make it BLK 2, ie new rail sys, back up sights, bolt and buffer upgrades etc.

GLDNSM= Grenade launcher day/night sight mount. The new mount for a GL’s that will replace the leaf and tangent for both day and night grenade use.

FMBS= Family of muzzle brake suppressors. Probably going to be the OPS Inc MB with screw on suppressor.

CNVD= Clip on night vision device. Like the PVS-14 or 18. to be used in conjunction with ECOS-N (Aimpoint comp M2) or off the helmet with IR laser.

EGLM= Enhanced grenade launcher module. M203 replacement that attaches to the rail sys as opposed to the barrel. Also can be detached and used “stand alone”

ECOS= Enhanced combat optical sight. TA 01 replacement.

Calvin
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Also,

Block 2 system includes:

CQBR- Close quarter battle receiver

SPR- Special purpose receiver(now rifle)

The CQBR and SPR have been fielded.

Just saw a post on EE for the CQBR by LMT from MSTN

Bought parts to build a MK12 MOD1 from Wes, I can't wait to assemble it.

MSTN are the SOPMOD experts BTW!

Calvin

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top