Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty interesting. Iowa is prettty much against any kind of firearm you don't use to hunt pheasants or deer with. That's one reason I couldn't stay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
They bought RRA carbines.

BTW, Iowa isn't anti-gun...just not alot to use 'em for.  We have CCW, deer seasons for shotguns, handguns, black powder, and bows, and pretty reasonable season lengths and allowances.  On the down side, no class 3, Hellfires, Dragon's Breath, and nothing but 'yotes to shoot with a centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea just keep telling yourself that Iowa is not anti-gun and while your at it tell yourself they did not vote for Al Gore also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yea just keep telling yourself that Iowa is not anti-gun and while your at it tell yourself they did not vote for Al Gore also.
View Quote

Ouch!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Look, I grew up in Iowa. Lived there for 18 years. As far as hunting goes, it's great and I miss it a lot. But for example, if I want to own a pistol I have to register it at the court house and have a permit. F-that! Sounds like New Jersey. I wish I could go out in the backyard and hunt Pheasant and coyote and deer and rabbit any time I wanted again. The people are pretty complacent in most places since there isn't much crime. The average Iowish citizen doesn't see the need for pistols or assault rifles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#6]
In Iowa you need a purchase permit to buy a handgun. The permit ($10.00) is good for all the handguns you want to purchase over the course of a year, then you need to get another permit. If you have a CCW, you do not need a purchase permit and the NICS checks are waved.  

You do not need a permit to own a handgun and you do not need to register it at the courthouse.

Sadly, most of the quad-city residents did vote for AlGore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
2IDdoc said:

That's one reason I couldn't stay.
View Quote

So you moved to Maryland?  ...the home of that Kathleen Kennedy Townsend who wants to ban [u]all[/u] of your guns.

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The police department in my hometown (population 16,000) recently bought MP5's and M16's. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So what do cops in Iowa need AR-15's for? Yote Shooting?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So what do cops in Iowa need AR-15's for?

View Quote

Most likely to get on a more equal footing with the folks running the meth labs.  Maybe a year, year and a half ago, I saw a good number of nightvision scopes ordered for Iowa LEO's.  The meth labs were the intended target at that time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh, yeah.........

Edited to add: Where the hell is Scott county anyway?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Why don't they just outlaw meth labs in Iowa then, it'd be just as effective as strict gun laws and less counter-productive.  The sheriff's department, by spending $20,000 on "assault rifles", just re-affirmed that strict gun laws not only fail to make people any safer, but help show that the both the average citizen and law enforcement have been ill-equipped to deal with true crime should it ever come to their house.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Just to answer a few questions:
Scott County is eastern-central end of the state, and includes the Iowa side of the Quad Cities (Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa, Rock Island and Moline in Illinois).  It also has the Iowa approach to the Rock Island Arsenal.  The county's population is approximately 175 thousand.  The Sheriff's dept is responsible for patrolling hundreds of miles of mostly rural roads, running the county jail, various functions on the shres of and on the Mississippi River, courthouse security, and county backup, both regular and tactical, of municipal PDs in the county.  As the western starting point of I-74, the river crossing points for I-74, 80, and 280, and its proximity to Chicago, St. Louis, Des Moines, Kansas City, and the Twin Cities, it becomes a major transit area for illicit drugs, as well as its metro area providing a ready sales area for same.  While certainly not a hot-bed of crime (organized or disorganized for that matter) it has its "fair share" including, as previously mentioned, meth labs, OMGs, barricaded suspects, etc...  I certainly don't begrudge them getting rifles to go with their 870s.
They purchased RRA LE tactical CAR UTEs, have them outfitted with Eagle slings, EO Tech optics, and a barrel-mounted flashlight system.  
Yes, Iowa voted for Gore.  As did half of the country.  I didn't.  Nuff said.
I go to the courthouse once a year to get my annual permit to acquire a handgun.  It costs $10, and is active three days after I get it.  That three days and the background check counts as my background check for NICS purposes.  I can keep my old permit as long as it isn't out of date, so I have uninterrupted access to purchasing.  I don't have to have a permit if I don't intend to buy any handguns, or if I only want to buy longarms.  With it, I can walk in, pay my money and walk out with handguns, rifles, shotguns, ammo, etc..no calls, no delays.  We also have CCW, with a very real possibility of it going from "may" issue to "shall issue" during the next legislative session.
I don't know of a single local preemption law on firearms anywhere in the state, and even our Democrat governor has no significant problem with firearms.  A recent statistic that a local officer showed me says that somewhere between 60 and 70% of Iowa homes have at least one firearm...and that's based on the people who acknowledge it.  I can buy ammo at convenience stores and gas stations in most rural communities, and PETA is (except in Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa) pretty much quietly told to carry their "professional protestor" asses out of town.  
Well...I'll let someone else enlighten you on the rest of Iowa's virtues.
Sluggo    
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The sweetcorn is good, too.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with sluggo except that, at least in my county, whenever I renew my permit to acquire handguns it doesn't have a 3 day waiting period and is good the day I purchase it.  This last time I even let my permit expire by 4-5 months and still only paid $10 instead of the initial $13 I think it is.  Now that I think about it I believe the initial time you get a permit you do have to wait 3 days but not for renewals.  I hadn't heard about the possibility of getting "shall" issue CCW instead of "may" issue, sounds great to me as my county is one that the sheriff won't issue CCW.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#17]
after watching paula zahn on cnn today saying things like the war is "taking longer then we were told" and other various statements that were intended to string people along, I recommend sending (via email) the reporter questions like what is the model number for the dual mount shotgun/rifle unit they purchased......or... can you tell me if they co-witnessed the iron sights with any other projection optics........or......does the range master bulk purchase .223 or 5.56 ammo.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey AR 10, why the hell should you have to go to the courthouse and get a permit to buy a pistol? It's just another hurdel to discourage people from buying handguns. I stand corrected on the registration. My information was third hand at best. And CCW? What county in Iowa lets ordinary citizens have CCW's? Not Webster county that's for sure.
Hardcase, the people's republic of Maryland is only a temporary place of residence until my wife finishes her masters. Then it's off to a more gun friendly state, probably Florida.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I will agree that it sucks to [b]need[/b] a permit to purchase a pistol. The only positive thing I can say about that is in my county it seams like a formality and does not require fingerprinting or a long wait.

[i]May Issue[/i] sucks worse, but there are more counties issuing than there used to be. My county is very lenient. Polk county, where Des Moines and the state capitol are located has started issuing permits, and I know someone who got a CCW there with minimal effort. The county Mason City is located in is also issuing them without impediment. There are others.

Webster county is not one of them.

As for the original post, I don't have a problem with those guys buying and training with Home Defense rifles.

What irks me is the half dozen M-16s sitting in the armory at my local Police Station gathering dust. They never shoot them, and they sure never let me shoot them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top