Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 11:48:32 AM EDT
I saw some at a gunshow. I think the maker is Eagle or something. Are these any good?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really want to trust your life to a plastic mag?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing's wrong with plastic, luddite. There is, however, a problem with Eagle brand magazines. Run away fast.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you really want to trust your life to a plastic mag?
View Quote

Tell that to the soldiers who trust their lives to the AUG and Sig 55x mags.

Plastic breaks, aluminum bends...both have weaknesses.

So, let me turn that around.  "Do you really want to trust your life to an aluminum mag?"
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the smoked Eagle mags.  Admit it.  Most of the people who buy AR 15s do it for the novelty of having one.  The same goes for the clear Eagle mags.  Ignore all of the "Soldier of Fortune, Jar Head, hoping for SHTF" types who spew nonsense like "trusting your life to this and that.  Get yourself an Eagle mag and have fun!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Never used an Eagle have usded the ramline combo mags and they are fine for range use but there are reasons SWAT and SF dont use them.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you aren't carrying it into combat it could be fun to play with. I don't like plastic mags. We used to have the occasional Thermomelt(Thermomold) pop up in one of my units. They usually didn't last long. The lips break off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Eagle AR mags, and Ramline pistol mags both have  what are called "constant force springs".  These are strips of metal that coil up.  They run down the side of the mag, and roll up under the follower.  There is a lot of friction between the coiling strip and the follower.  Another problem is this:

In a normal magazine, where there is the most ammo loaded, the spring is highly compressed and exerts the most force.  Good!

In a mag with constant force springs, when there  is the most ammo, and thus, the most weight pushing down, the spring still has the same force as when almost emplty.  These springs have difficulty lifting all that ammo, and when combined with the friction, the problem is worse.  

If you download them somewhat, they work smoother.

Duh, I would rather have a USGI mag.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top