Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 8:36:02 AM EDT
I have a problem, AIM surplus has this sweet looking AK-47, 40-rd for $319, it has the laminated furniture on it, but at the same time I want to buy more mags, rails, lights and a scope for my Bushy too. What should I do? It's so tempting to drive down to AIM and buy it!

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO i would buy more stuff for the AR, my logic is this, ya can only shoot one rifle at a time, i am tryin to be a minimalist i would rather have one high quality firearm that is exactly how i want , than to have a few rifles that i may not be able to accessorize the way i want. due to cost/time etc. im not an AK fan, if sumone gave me one i wouldnt turn it down, but i dont wanna start buyin tons of mags and ammo to fed another caliber rifle. jus my .02
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, one masterpiece at a time. Finish the Bushy and if you still want the AK you can always get one. Picture that beautiful Bushy all tricked out the way you want it, setting next to a large collection of  30 rounders. It will make the AK grow paler and paler by comparison. Yeah, AK's are fun but their third world man, go high tech with the AR and you'll really have something.

Tom
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
anyone serious about shooting mil pattern rifles needs at least one AK.  besides, How much crap can you actually hang off of the Bushie.  The standard AR15.com motto is get both.  I accesorize my AR one piece at a time.  I also buy on AR mag every other month, with the off month being for Two AK mags.  The AK gets two because they cost half as much.

Also, get aim to trade you the 40 round mag for a 30.  The 40s are illegal to use in Ohio.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the AK now as Century is stopping importation. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=56571[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Now it's even more tempting to get an AK since there stopping importation of it, I will admit the AK mags and ammo are cheap and plentiful. But when I hold my Bushy and feel how smooth it shoots and operates, there is no comparison. And Shotar are you sure 40's are illegal, I think only in certain areas of Ohio like townships, cities and etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both and while the AR is by far a much higher quality weapon with an endless choice of options, I can not fault the AK in terms of reliability. The only FTFs I have experienced (3 rounds out of the same batch of Wolf) had the primers set too deep. This is over the course of 12 years. Granted I don't get to shoot that often, but I have had several other rifles over the years and I have the most reliability with the AK. With the fact that AKs are not going imported any more I would go for the AK. ARs are going to be easier to get than the AKs as well as AR acessories in the near future.
                               Mantra
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello,
    I would buy that AK if you have the money.  The SAR series that aim is selling are not being imported any longer.  The prices will be going up soon.  I'm in the opposite boat.  I have a AK103K and am looking at an AR-15, but I still have more to buy for the AK.  Ian
(I must have missed SUperchickens post,sorry)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
"The SAR series that aim is selling are not being imported any longer"

Isnt that what they say every 2 years or so?But of corse you can still get them...........Udog
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the SAR. You won't be dissapointed. Best bang fot the buck I think. When you squeeze the trigger, it fires. It eats cheap ammo like candy. It's not made for competitions involving accuracy at long ranges. It's a battle rifle. And it's a blast to shoot. I don't understand why people knock em all the time. Just saying that a rifle is no good because it's 3rd world doesn't make sense to me. I guess I just don't understand. I get my SAR back after some AKUSA work including a muzzle brake on the 5th. I can't stop daydreaming about how much fun it's gonna be to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Go for the AK.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy American.....I is getting hard to find anything made in usa. but we still have the goodold ar lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't have at least one AK, you are a wannabe collector.  I own both, and the each have their own virtues.  Do not regret failing to buy the AK while it is still cheap.

$320 AK
$100 12 AK47 mags
$75 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39

Can't think of a better way to spend $500
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
The state of Ohio mandates under section 2923 or the Ohio revised code that any centerfire that holds or is adapted to hold more than 31 rounds is a machine gun.  Therefore all registered machine guns have no mag limit.  All Semi autos are limited to 30 round magazines.  40 round mags are legal to own, but illegal to use in semi autos in all of Ohio. Once you insert the 40 in your semi auto it is now an illegal machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Your arsenal will never be completed without an AK. Go for the SAR, they are becoming an endangered species.

You always accessorize your AR later.

BR
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
black rifle is right.

even if everything else is banned, the accessories will most likely be around for ever. i would say get a few AR mags and the AK.
besides, every military rifle collector needs at least one:
AR15,AK, FAL, AR10, G3, CETME....

no, i dont own all of these... yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Get tha AK---you can always get the toys later.

Most are not neccessary IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
David, why would a military rifle collector need an AR10?  I wasn't aware of any nation using it as an issue weapon.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I use this reasoning to keep my costs down. Ask yourself, if you could only have one rifle for SHTF, plinking, and general use. Which one would you NEED. I think the answer is obvious. [sniper]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use this reasoning to keep my costs down. Ask yourself, if you could only have one rifle for SHTF, plinking, and general use. Which one would you NEED. I think the answer is obvious. [sniper]
View Quote

ABSAFUKINLUTELY!  If there could be only one it would be a Bulgarian AK74 custom built by Troy at Inrange or Mike at Ohio Rapid Fire.  $600ish for the rifle, $5 mags and $100/1k ammo!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my AR....but I loved my AK first!
[img]http://www.onpointfirearms.com/Images/Onpoint%20AK.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
David, why would a military rifle collector need an AR10?  I wasn't aware of any nation using it as an issue weapon.
View Quote

i dunno... cause they're cool. [:)]

wait...didnt portugal or somebody use them??  or maybe some indonesian country??

OK...just cuase they're cool!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Get the AK, they are a ton of fun
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The state of Ohio mandates under section 2923 or the Ohio revised code that any centerfire that holds or is adapted to hold more than 31 rounds is a machine gun.  Therefore all registered machine guns have no mag limit.  All Semi autos are limited to 30 round magazines.  40 round mags are legal to own, but illegal to use in semi autos in all of Ohio. Once you insert the 40 in your semi auto it is now an illegal machine gun.
View Quote

How I get around that and still use 70 round drum mags:
I bought a pump-action AK - it's not semi, so the limit doesn't apply :)

So, I have a pump-action AK rifle, and a semi AK shotgun.  :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I would opt to add another gun to the collection. Get that count up there, and then worry about the acessories. Don't neglect quality though, or you will regret it in the long run.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top