Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 5:37:00 PM EDT
Well I finally got the funds to purchase a pre-ban AR15 rifle, it’s a great feeling knowing this.  Just have to go cash some savings bonds.  So the problem comes down to which one should I get with my funds.  I have limited my choices down to Colt, Bushmaster, and SGW (Olympic Arms), also the possibility of an Eagle Arms purchase.  Whats all your opinions of those listed?

The Colt AR15, Sporter models, are said to be the best, but the problem is that it has that damn large pin lower receiver that won’t accommodate a Mil-Spec push pin type upper.  This is bad because I am planning on buying additional uppers to go with the rifle at a later date, namely the M4 Carbine barrel with permenatly attached phantom flash suppressor and a 11.5” with permenatly attached 5.5” flash suppressor.  So its either try to find some of those rare small pin Colt lowers or buy those pin sets.

The Bushmasters I have heard nothing but good things about also.  The problem is that any that I see out on the market are sold faster than I can place a bid or they are just out of my price range.  The benefit of having that push pin lower is what really is attracting me to the rifle.  Also that Bushmaster has a wide variety of accessories made by them makes it even more tempting.

The SGW I have had personal experience with.  I liked it and felt like many other AR15 models I have handled.  But from what I have been reading it’s a 50-50 chance of getting a poor quality rifle or a fine firearm.  Also that they are reportedly made to tight tolerances creates a problem with different uppers not being able to be used, add to that tight mag wells.  The only thing that I can see being a benefit to all this would be the fact that Olympic Arms will build a new lower with the old lowers serial number on it to retain pre-ban status.  Does Bushmaster, Colt, or Eagle Arms offer this deal?

I haven’t heard much about the Eagle Arms brand, other than Armalite bought them or that they bought Armalite out.  Other than that it’s been a negative on any reports about them.

So whats the best rifle that I should get?  Note that I only have around 1700 for the rifle and only want a plain-jane stock model LNIB or NIB, none of this extra accessories business going on that just raises the price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, find you a sweet Colt SP1, they make an adapter to mount small hole uppers with.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Rock River Arms.

And P806, who IS that woman in your avatar? Looks mighty similar to someone I know....
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Oly, quality is excellent. Also have a Bushmaster. I don't really see much difference, except chrome bore and price. Oh the oly is a little more accurate, maybe by 1/2 to 1 MOA. Both have 16' barrels. Bushy was a lot more expensive, about $200 more. They both have better fit and finish than either the M16A1 and M16a2s I had issued to me when I was in the service. Then again, one of my service rifles was forged by GMs Hydramatic Transmission division (stamped on receiver).
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try Rock River Arms.

And P806, who IS that woman in your avatar? Looks mighty similar to someone I know....
View Quote

Rock River Arms did not exist pre ban.

I would think it would depend on what you can find for the price you want to pay. IMO the ABC rule is true, A being Eagle, and I agree with P806 that the best bargains usually available are the SP1's.

Mack
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top