Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 8:27:21 AM EDT
Do you have a fixed tele-style stock or an A2 buttstock?  Anyone have both?  Which do you prefer and why?

TS
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the A2 looks funny on the short 16" or less uppers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I would rather have a A1 or A2 Butt that is stronger and has storage space!

A Fixed TELE  ???? WHY LOOKS?? Give me a Break!

Get a A1 Buttstock

Or a ACE if you must

Or see if Bush keeps his word????
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
i like the telescoping look, but the A2 seems more comfy to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Or a ACE if you must
View Quote

Having owned both the ARFX, and a fixed tele-stock, I fail to see any difference between them. They both rely on the receiver extension for strength, and except for maybe buttstroking someone, the lower arm of the ARFX is mostly for looks, as shown by ACE's other stocks. As for tele-stocks, except for stowage, the stock is used at full extension.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both an A2 stock and a fixed tele-stock. I use the tele because it lightens up the rifle just slightly. I never used the storage space in my A2, and I don't plan on butt-stroking someone with my rifle; if they're that close, they'll be choking on .45 ACP. Plus (here comes the flame) I think the tele-style looks better on a 16" carbine. 20" or 24"...definitely full size stock....but that rifle is yet to be built (by me).
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Fixed tele-style stock for me.

Better sling attachment points.
Better shoulder weld for me with the slightly angled buttplate.
Just feels good.
Oh, and it looks good too.

Nothing wrong with either. Both function fine. Both use a full length buffer/buffer tube. Both are the same length.
A lot of it is personal preference, but to say that the fixed one is crap, is crap itself.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You need more choices.
I went with the stubby stock.
The -A2 looked out of place, and I can't bring myself to use tele-wannabe.
Plus, I wanted to make my posty as evil looking as possible, and the stubby does get attention.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Both of my carbines wear ARFX stocks.

A matter of taste, but I think telestocks are about the ugliest component I've seen on any firearm.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the ACE stock on my post-ban carbine. I find the weapon balances a bit differently w/ the ACE on a 16in HB but I like it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My one carbine has it's original wood stock, oh it's a 30-carbine; the AR has an ARFX stock.  I like the look and the balance to it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the A2.  The only function a telescoping stock would have is that you can extend or retract it, but if doesn't move then why not at least get the storage space?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fixed tele-style stock for me.

[red]Better sling attachment points.
Better shoulder weld for me with the slightly angled buttplate.[/red]
Just feels good.
Oh, and it looks good too.

Nothing wrong with either. Both function fine. Both use a full length buffer/buffer tube. Both are the same length.
A lot of it is personal preference, but to say that the fixed one is crap, is crap itself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some with A1s from Coal Creek, one with a ARFX and one with the short ARFX.  I just don't like the fixed tele.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My Bushy 16" wears a Sully short stock.  Now I'm looking at those Colt 6400 M4s, but I think the pseudo-telestock would have to go.  If the sunset arrives, a "real" collapsible stock could go on there and a "real" flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a colt 6400 M4, you have one option that really hasn't been listed yet.  The buffer tube for the fixed tele-stock is full length on the outside, but is only carbine length on the inside.  What this means is that there is about four inches of solid aluminum (except for drain hole) on the end of the of the buffer tube.  The stock itself is held on with an allen screw that threads into the bottom of the buffer tube and has two additional roll pins blind pinned through the stock into lower part of the buffer tube.

This configuration allows for the stock to be shortened and still stay legal.  If one unscrews the allen head screw and drills out the two roll pins, the stock will come free.  Then one can cut a portion of the solid section of the buffer tube off.  Drill and tap a new hole for the screw farther up on the buffer tube so that the end of the newly cut buffer tube will be flush with the end of the stock when it is re-attached.  Then just drill two new holes in the side of the buffer tube for the roll pins, put the pins in and presto you have a legal, fake telestock that has been custom fitted to you for length of pull.

Nice thing about this is that you cut off some unneeded weight and you still have the look, as well as the fuctionality of a shorter stock.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I have fixed tele-style-stock.

I can't stand the looks of a carbine with a standard stock.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of my fixed-stock ARs wear Cavalry Arms A1-length stocks.  The A2 stock is too damn long for all but 6'2", monkey-armed folks.

-Troy
View Quote

My ARFX stocks have extended butt pads!

BTW, you're right; I AM a 6'2" monkey-armed folk! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Skeletal stock is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
This was a tough call for me on my new J&T 16" as i like the M4 and the A2, but went with the A2 and love it,i don't plan to change it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
What about the Tactical Entry Stock ???? If we are going to have a vote let's put the card's on the table and VOTE......

[sniper2]              [headbang]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]A1[/b] stock.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
rra le entry m4 stubby stock
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got the A2 stock on my Bushy.  If (when) then ban sets I will get a real Tele stock, not not a fake one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
ACE all the way..
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Just out of curiousity, if the ban does indeed sunset can the fixed tele stock be converted back to collapsible if needed?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I've got the Colt MT6400 (M4) with the fixed tele stock.  The angle puts the weapon where it should be and I get a good cheek weld. And as Hawkeye says sling attachment points are better.  An A2 stock is fine with me, but I'm a 6'2" monkey armed folk too.

TS

Did anyone with the ACE or stubby stock not get to vote?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Fixed tele all the way.

Length-of-pull is just right for me, the strong checkering stays put on my shoulder, there are more sling attachment options, it's lighter, and dammit, it looks cooler.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just out of curiousity, if the ban does indeed sunset can the fixed tele stock be converted back to collapsible if needed?
View Quote

The legal ones are designed such that they can't be converted back.  But, assuming some new law isn't passed that extends or replaces the AWB, you can replace your existing stock with whatever you want.

-Troy
View Quote

Not sure about the other brands, but Bushmasters uses a full length buffer tube, buffer, and spring. No way to convert it even if it was legal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Neither, get yourself a good clean used A1 stock
or a CavArms  C1 stock
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Bushmaster Stubby Stock for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#33]
With a post ban CAR/M4 it is mostly cosmetic.
I'll take my fake telestock anyday, thankyou.
Amongst other things It's lighter, less bulky, looks right and balanced whereas an A2 stock on a carbine IMHO, just looks plain retarded.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You need more choices.
I went with the stubby stock.
The -A2 looked out of place, and I can't bring myself to use tele-wannabe.
Plus, I wanted to make my posty as evil looking as possible, and the stubby does get attention.
View Quote

I agree totally and did just that. My 20" has the A2, and my 16" has the stubby. I think it makes it look very evil in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#35]
[:D]  STUBBY!

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/dadcar.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I even took the tele off of my carbine and put an A2 butt on it.  I like it better for shooting though the tele does look sort of cool.  I keep it just incase I need the gun more compact ;)
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#37]
i've got the A2, i'll be getting a tele in Sept '04 [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]
ACE stocks are the sh!t (or ARFX, or whatever they're calling it). [:E]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#39]
have the fixed telestock on my m4 clone,do have a real telestock on hand for midnight sept 14 04,an ace stock on my 16"hbar,and the regular a2 stock on my 20" hbars.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the pinned stock saddly mostly for the 'coolness' factor. I will admit that for comfort and accuracy the A2 would probably be better for me.
JIM
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Fixed/pinned tele-stocks are like silicone boobs on a pretty woman - nice if you like the looks and feel, but not any more functional than the real ones. I'll always go with the functionality, but I can understand the other views as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Two post bans carbines have A2s.  Pre ban carbines - three telees and one A2.  The telestocks look neat.  The A2 stocks fit me much better.  When they fit better, I shoot em better.

But then,  I have just ordered two more 6 pos RRA telestocks with no markings to go on those post ban carbines...... after Sept '04, of course.  I also contacted Kurt at KKF about putting threads on those barrels, too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#43]
So far, I've got an A2, an ARFX, and LE...I've got the CAR on order, I'll be snagging an A1 from Coal Creek, and probably a VLTOR at some point.  I think they all look cool, and I'm not one of the guys who's gonna pretend I don't factor in the cool quotient.  

I'm not crazy about the LE, it's REAL short, but it helps to break the monotony of everything looking the same.  

If I'm shooting from a bench, which I do a lot, then I prefer the A2.  If I'm clearing tangos from my house [:D], I like the ARFX.  But in the end, it's really what you like...sooner or later, you'll have more than one AR, so why have the same thing on all of them?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top