Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:26:52 AM EDT
Howdy all, I have a new Colt MT6400C and the trigger pull is lousy.  What is the mil-spec for the trigger pull on the M-16?  How does anyone rate expert if they have an (guess on my part) 8 pound gritty trigger "pull"?  Is it luck of the draw?      

I want to send a thanks out to this board for the great info I get here.  I downloaded the "five minute" directions for reducing the pull weight, but I am a civilian.  I expect Sgt. Knutcracker would take a dim view of any non-armorer modifications.

As an aside, I like the Colt.  It would be a much better weapon (more satisfying at least) if the damn selector switch had three settings instead of two, but I like my life this side of the 'wire'.  The muzzle break does add to the blast, but it isn't that bad, particularly if you are the shooter.  It is, after all, all about ME.  I shot all the commercial brass cased loads I could find for it- Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131A, Winchester's Wallyworld 55gr, Winchester white box 62gr, and Remington UMC55gr.  The only bobble was a failure to feed (hung up on the feed ramp and it dented the cartridge case) on the last two rounds of a 30 round mag (Mil-Spec Labelle/mint green follower) with the Winchester Wallyworld .223 55gr.  This was within the first 150 rounds I shot through the rifle, so I wrote it off to either the downloaded 223 spec ammo or the phase of the moon (1/4 full) or maybe what I had for breakfast (Raisin Bran).  

As for the non-retractable retractable stock, it is goofy.  IF the ban sunsets/implodes, what do I have to do to get it to retract?  Is it "real", and all I have to do is remove the two weenie roll pins holding the stock in place, or will I have to replace the stock entirely?

Thanks all,
Cheesebeast
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Order a RRA 2 stage NM trigger from Steve @ ADCO. $98.44 shipped!! I just got one, man what a difference it makes on the bench. I wouldn't want it on my SHTF rifle, too light.

Shabo
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by "rate expert"?  I had a stock M16A1 in basic and qualified expert with it.  Never had a problem qualifing expert with any rifle the Army issued me in 7 years.  Maybe your trigger finger needs a work out or something?!?!?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I just shot 40 of 40 with a stock M4 carbine a few weeks back.  

It ain't the gun, sonny, it's the operator.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Practice dry firing with that trigger.  

It will teach you alot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I did 15 years in the Army; it's just a matter of "learning" your particular rifle and feeling for the let-off point. You can master the crapiest (is that a word?) of triggers with enough practice. Sometimes you do get lucky--my last issue M16A2 had a nice trigger, heavy--but a very crisp break.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I somehow managed to qualify expert every time with a standard issue M16A1... Dry fired allot and LEARNED the trigger.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess you guys are saying my problem is with the loose nut behind the stock?  I was just surprised at the pull weight compared to my stock M1 Garand.  Then again, maybe I have a good M1 Garand.

I will indeed give my trigger finger a workout. I figure 30 reps, reload, repeat...

Thanks,
Cheesebeast
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually you should dry fire it.

Take a tumb tack and spray paint it flat black.

Stick it through an all white index card into a wall at your eye level. Take 5 or 6 paces back and practice aiming at it and squeezing the trigger.  Follow through with eye (or eyes) open, no flinching.

Bring rifle down and rest for 30-40 seconds.

Repeat for 40 snaps.  

Rest a half hour.

Repeat.

A veriation is to have someone balance a dime on the end of your barrel and see if you can trip the trigger with out dropping the dime.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess you guys are saying my problem is with the loose nut behind the stock?  I was just surprised at the pull weight compared to my stock M1 Garand.  Then again, maybe I have a good M1 Garand.

I will indeed give my trigger finger a workout. I figure 30 reps, reload, repeat...

Thanks,
Cheesebeast
View Quote

The trigger will likely 'smooth out' a bit with use, so dry firing will help that as well. I'm betting the M1 has been around awhile and has already been through the break in period.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course the Garand is a real rifle to begin with. [peep]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My worst day at the range with an M16A1 was 36 out of 40, my best day was 39 out of 40. With the M16A2 I had a best of 40 out of 40. [8D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
No problems qualifiying expert with any of the firearms during my time served. [:)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top