Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:59:10 AM EDT
Their is a local gun-show regular who is not only an @$$hole to people, but tries to pass off post ban weapons as pre-ban. He actually lies to people saying this gun is 100% legal.

Well, next year it may be, but for now he is actually deceiving innocent people looking for a nice AR-15. Not only that, but he truly is a mean guy... So far as I can tell, no other dealer sells illegally configured firearms.
I dont like what he does to customers, and I dont like who is. Many would agree with me...

What if the last gunshow before the ban expires, I call the ATF and bust him? The news could not call it a "weapon cach" as he only brings one or two evil post-bans every year.

Would I be a bad person?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
At most, do your best to educate anyone you see eyeing said illegally configured weapons for possible purchase.

The guy might be an asshole, but don't go making that kind of Federal trouble for someone else. That's bad ju-ju, and you don't need it coming back to you (one of your neighbors calling 911 'cause "Some crazy has a "machine gun" in his car!!! I saw him with it!!!"), or having the ATF become involved in your affairs (the "Where there's smoke, there's a fire" mentality).

havoc
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Let it run its course.

Theoritcally, in a year it will not matter. If not, it will catch up with him.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You just started a flame war...here we go...

My 02.c, wortha lot less than that to anyone but me...

I'm not telling you to go one way or the other...
But, consider, if the person in Q, is approached by the ATF, his records of transactions are also open for ATF perusal.  That leads to a list, maybe a long list, of individuals names that very well may have done absolutely nothing wrong.  These individuals may also be approached by the ATF.  A "good" articulation can be made, on the ATF's part, for the need for "follow up" investigation. That's an awful big can o' worms friend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]

The ATF is not your friend.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok whatever...

I guess I wont, ill just have to play AWB teacher at the next gunshow.

EDIT

Oh yea, he is not a liscensed dealer, just "private" sales...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this around Houston or elsewhere in the state?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok whatever... Oh yea, he is not a liscensed dealer, just "private" sales...
View Quote

Well then, it's not an ATF issue, it's an issue with the local police department.  But they, the police, will call the ATF for clarification and the snowball starts rolling.

Go to the [url=http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/]ATF website[/url] and print out the rules and regs and take them with you to help educate the masses.  If this guy is doing anything, he's making criminals out of the average not knowing public.  Don't you be an A..hole to those who you are trying to help, they will side with the other guy...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree that you should inform others if they look interested in his guns, but you should also bust his balls about it, and maybe then he will think twice about selling if he knows that you know your shit with ARs.  It will probably give him a good scare.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
People who write and call the ATF are validating it as a legitimate law enforcement authority when it is not.  They are tax collectors who have gone Rambo.  Don't feed into their megalomania.

If you _did_ decide to call them though, why would someone at a gun show have a transaction log?  Can't you sell without all that documentation at a gun show?  Not to say that the ATF couldn't look up his credit card records, etc.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I assumed he was a licensed dealer, and was selling at shows as a supplement to income, mistakenly overlooked the other options.  So you'd be right in that case, thanks.  
Sul2
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I will get in contact with the event sponsors, and inform them of this seller. Im sure I can get them to kick him out, or deny him floorspace. I know another seller there who taught me how to shoot, and he would be a valuable ally in taking this dude off the show.

All I will say it is in TEXAS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Print out a copy of the ATF regulations, hightlight the relevant parts he is violating, and anonymously drop a copy at his booth.  You might also consider leeting whomever runs the gun show know- I am sure they would not want to get shut down because of some jerk who feels it is OK to break the law, and they are likely to be discreet about it to avoid trouble.

Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
troy gave a great response.

i have also seen this in texas and a friend almost bought a post ban that he was told was a pre ban. luckily for him someone at the show was kind enough to inform him before he bought the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
No one likes a tattle tale.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't you sell without all that documentation at a gun show?  
View Quote

If he is a licensed dealer he is still bound by the law including NICS and the yellow form. If it is a private sale between private citizens there is no need for paperwork.

Edited to add that this assumes the fact that your State law allows private transfers, as all "free" States do, the great State of Kentucky included.

Bob
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
AMEN TO TROYS OBSERVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I posted this here before, but I was at a gunshow and I stopped to admire an SKS marked with a huge tag that said "RARE PRE-BAN SKS"...  Yup, just a standard non-detachable mag SKS with a spike bayonet!

The seller saw me looking and said these are getting harder to find and I decided to take the challange.  I asked which ban is this "Pre-Ban"?  

He informed me the crime bill ban that outlawed these rifles...  So, I asked him again, which features of this rifle were banned and he said "it's semiauto with a bayonet"...  and so I asked "This is what YOU think makes it pre-ban?" and the answer I got was "no, it was when it was made that makes this a pre-ban" and the seller started getting a little red....

By then, there was a small group of guys standing around and I let the hammer drop..

I pointed out that the crime bill only outlawed semiautomatic rifles that accepted detachable magazines with two or more of the following features and listed them...  I then proceded to say, yes his rifle is Pre-Ban or perhaps more accurately called a NON-BAN as is my daisy BB gun and I asked if he wanted to trade my very rare BB gun for his more common SKS!  

Yes, people need to know the law and they need to do your homework before going to a gunshow...  personally, I am sick of being offered a nice PRE-BAN M1 Garand or SKS!  I am also tired of seeing supposidly NIB Bushmasters sold with cheap NO-NAME uppers with unmarked barrels, receivers, etc!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The ATF is not your friend.

View Quote

Right!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top