Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 2:55:21 PM EDT
Just curious what everyone thinks out there when the AWB sunsets what affect that will have on the value of PostBans, such as ar-15's and SAR-#'s. Will we make them more preban like with adding flash supressors, etc. or will they hold more value in their original postban configuration. I personally thing AWB is just cosmetics and I am curious to see what people think out there.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
IF YOU WANT THIS TO SUNSET YOU HAD BETTER BE CALLING YOUR STATE REPS IN BOTH SENATE AND CONGRESS  NOW!!!!

IT'S JUST GOING TO MORPH INTO A REAL MONSTER
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just curious what everyone thinks out there when the AWB sunsets what affect that will have on the value of PostBans, such as ar-15's and SAR-#'s. Will we make them more preban like with adding flash supressors, etc. or will they hold more value in their original postban configuration. I personally thing AWB is just cosmetics and I am curious to see what people think out there.  
View Quote

When the ban goes down it will not have much of a effect on the price of post-bans, now the price of pre-bans it will have a effect on.  Who would want to buy a old used one when the ban is down and you can have a new one?  If the ban sunsets then all those features on the pre-ban's will be allowed onto them, flash suppressors, telescoping stocks, etc.  Why would they be worth more?  The ban is dead that means that post-bans are dead too.  It will not affect NFA weapons or firearms like HK long rifles that cannot be brought into the US because of a past bill.  This will have little do to with things marked LEO/Military use only, the issue is very split and most LEO's that I have talked with said that they will most likely will stay in the LE community only.  Only time will tell on that one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The effect will be, normal capacity mag prices will drop drastically.  Outfits that have been holding these to sell when the prices get really really high will dump them.  All those used USGI's will sell for about $6-$7, and NIW will be no more than $15 max.

Prices of "pre-bans" will drop, as now they will just be a used rifle, and you can buy a new one just like it for X amount (price of today's post ban).

"Post-bans" will no longer be manufactured, and the ones still on the market will sell to states that have their own AW ban rules.  But those rules will now be murky, as they have no federal law to piggyback on, and there will be calls for repeal of those, too.

Prices of used "post-bans" will drop even more than used "pre-bans", because to make it into a real homeland defense rifle, the buyer will have to send it out to have the barrel threaded, etc.

There will be a lot of money spent on replacements for stocks, lots of CAR stocks sold, flash hiders, etc.

And best of all, the antis will stew.

With the formerly marked LEO/Mil/Export mags now being legal for civvies to own, it will be very murkey for any future magazine bans.  They will have great difficulty telling old legal mags from new mags.  They will have to think up new markings.  The whole thing will be a cluster-watchamacallit for ATF and the Democrats.

Every time a post AWB weapon is used in a crime, the newmedia, ATF, and antis will squeel like pigs, SEE!!!??? We TOLD you these are crime guns!

A great time will be had by all!

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
And one MORE thing!

The day the AWB expires, let's have a mail campaign.  Let's all take pics of our toys, pics of us at the gun stores handling those LEO marked items now legal for us to own, and mail then to Chuck and DiFi with a little note,

F--- YOU, Chuck!

F--- YOU, Diane!

I would like to see them get about 300 huge mailbags of such mail.  Perhaps we could arrange for TV to be there when it arrives?

Do you think the "mainstream media" would cover it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Though I agree with everything said here, I just wanted to add, that I think SOME pre-ban rifles will still hold "collector status" and remain higher priced due to scarcity. Early Colt SP1 carbines...low serial numbers, first runs, transition guns, govt. service marked, satin nickel, and so on. Wierd as it sounds...IF the ban goes away forever, even some post ban models may become scarce due to conversions back to a pre ban type weapon. Whats common now, could be tommorrows collectable...look at all the sporterized Springfield '03's...that would be worht more now if left untouched.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IF YOU WANT THIS TO SUNSET YOU HAD BETTER BE CALLING YOUR STATE REPS IN BOTH SENATE AND CONGRESS  NOW!!!!

View Quote

I can eat cheddar cheese and NEVER call, AND IT WILL STILL SUNSET. PERIOD. No, this isn't me talking about political votes, political climate, or filibusters. If you take 10 minutes and READ the AWB, you'll see it clearly states, "This law expires and disappears as though it never happened on 14 sept 2004"

What we have to look out for is NEW legislation. What we need to do is make it public knowledge that the ban is only COSMETIC and NAME banning, and that it has had no effect on crime reduction!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the future if everyone doesn't get busy and write their reps. Don't just call. For every letter they receive they count it as multiple calls. It shows much more concern and diligence to pick up pen and paper than to just dial a phone number. That's what my reps office told me.

IT IS COMING BACK IN '04 UNLESS EVERYONE WORKS HARD IN THE INTERIM. STOP THINKING IT'S GOING TO SUNSET AND GET TO WORK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that the price of current pre-bans will drop to what used post-bans go for now, and post-bans will drop a bit because they tend to have useless doodads like muzzle brakes rather than useful doodads like collapsible/folding stocks, bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.  As the post-post ban products hit the market, today's post-ban stuff will be seen as less desireable and consequently less valuable (except for things like varmit rifles that will probably be in the same configuration regardless of whether they're pre- or post- or post-post-.).  

But I'm approaching this figuring that sooner or later (I think sooner) we'll have a change of administration and the ban will be reenacted even if the current ban is allowed to sunset.

I'll be replacing a few A1 and A2 stocks with the telescoping variety.  I doubt I'll bother with bayonet lugs or having the barrels threaded for flash suppressors.  Just enough to make sure they're in a pre-ban configuration if the next administration decides to reenact the ban and grandfather guns that were in an "assault weapon" configuration before the renewed ban, but not so much that I'll have to have them heavily reworked if they only grandfather pre '94 guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
All excellent inputs. I got pre-ban and post-ban stuff and I figure just that maybe an Sar-1 left in its original config may be worth more than modified. It is by far one of the most reliable weapons I have ever owned for that price. And a post ban Bushie that I use for serious target practice. IMHO it shoots better than a preban Colt Sporter that I have. Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If the ban sunsets,  I plan on buying a new barrel (maybe even an 11.5" with a CAR15 flash suppressor) & a collapsable stock.  Say what you want, but this is the gun I've wanted for so long (at least my first) and the post-ban Bushy M4-type is as close as I could get.

Anthony
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If a new AWB comes about, you can forget pre/post status.  I promise it will be far worse.  There will be no post-bans, and pre-ban will all be illegal to own.  As DiFi says, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in."
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And one MORE thing!

The day the AWB expires, let's have a mail campaign.  Let's all take pics of our toys, pics of us at the gun stores handling those LEO marked items now legal for us to own, and mail then to Chuck and DiFi with a little note,

F--- YOU, Chuck!

F--- YOU, Diane!

I would like to see them get about 300 huge mailbags of such mail.  Perhaps we could arrange for TV to be there when it arrives?

Do you think the "mainstream media" would cover it?
View Quote

I think it would be more fun to send them a note thanking the Senate for showing bravery in supporting the Constitution.

Any pics sent to them should be posed as examples of how "they too" can share in black rifle fever.

A simple FU type note just wouldn't be as much fun and it only serves to feed the left. And I think it get much further under their skin.

Just my .02

Bill Paradise
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Bill, perhaps you are right.  But get under their skin... that is the goal!  Anything we can do in that regard, I am all for.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the ban sunsets,  I plan on buying a new barrel (maybe even an 11.5" with a CAR15 flash suppressor) & a collapsable stock.  Say what you want, but this is the gun I've wanted for so long (at least my first) and the post-ban Bushy M4-type is as close as I could get.

Anthony
View Quote

So, folks that had a complete colt lower from a standard a2 on 12 sept 1994 don't have a preban? It doesn't have any "assault" features on it...

It only matters if the lower receiver was fully assembled on 12 sept 1994 when the ban came into existence! (ie, no bare receivers from "pre"ban could be built into "assault" weapons after the ban came in.)

If things play out again they way they did (Going from freedom to an arbitrary date that limits cosmetic features) any complete postban will now become a "preban".

Of course, I expect any future gun legislation to be much more restrictive, and not contain a grandfather clause...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top