Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 4:10:13 PM EDT
Quck question, What are the age requirements on buying "assault rifles"? I don't want to be looked at like a idiot when I buy my rifle. I'm pretty sure you have to be 21 to buy hand guns but just out of curiosity how old do you have to be to buy destructive devices or AOWs? Sory I know I read it somewhere but forgot where I saw it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
To purchase a handgun, or handgun ammunition, you must be 21 years of age.  To purchase a rifle or shotgun, or ammunition, you must be at least 18.  Most state laws are the same, but some states you must be 21 for both.  Since an AR-15 type rifle is still a rifle, you only have to be 18 in most states.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
you mean full auto "Assualt Rifles"?

Age of 21, $200 Tax and 6 months of waiting.

If you were talking about military-TYPE semi-automatic rifles, federal law says you got to be 18. That's all. [:D]

Check with your state laws though, they might have more severe restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
California and NY being two of them.  Damn Pataki[:(!]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats good news. I was talking about semi auto "assault rifles" by the way thanks,
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No you weren't you were talking about military type semi automatic rifles. Just because it's black doesn't make it an assualt rifle...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
As I believe, assault rifles are defined as any select fire rifle.  Select fire means safe, semi, and burst or auto.  This means that guns that only have full auto are machineguns, but semi-auto's are neither MGs or Assault rifles.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
California and NY being two of them.  Damn Pataki[:(!]
View Quote

word!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top