Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 12:38:28 PM EDT
My only pet peeve I have regarding my rifle is that everytime the bolt slams shut to chamber a round, I hear the buffer spring vibrating in the telestock.  Makes my $1000 rifle sound kinda... how should I say, "cheap."  

All the parts for the stock came from RRA.  Is this normal or is the spring loose somehow?  My rifle otherwise functions normally.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Occasionally when shooting you may be able to hear the spring move, but just a little bit.  I've never heard my spring vibrate when snapping close the bolt.  I'd say its not normal, but I'm sure there are others with the same thing occuring.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear the spring/buffer in my AR's every time I fire or operate the bolt.  I don't remember handling one that didn't make that noise.  Just part of the design.  

One of those pneumatic buffers would probably cure it, but I'd rather hear the "SPROING" than shell out a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
ShadowOne, your rifle is obviously defective, and dangerous to boot...but I'd be willing to take it off your hands for 1/3 of what you paid for it.  [:D]

Obviously I'm funnin' ya...but you should get used to that noise lol...you'll be hearing it a lot!  I had the same reaction when I got my first AR...I coulnd't believe they made that noise!  But, now I kinda like it...if I even notice it.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ShadowOne, your rifle is obviously defective, and dangerous to boot...but I'd be willing to take it off your hands for 1/3 of what you paid for it.  [:D]

Obviously I'm funnin' ya...but you should get used to that noise lol...you'll be hearing it a lot!  I had the same reaction when I got my first AR...I coulnd't believe they made that noise!  But, now I kinda like it...if I even notice it.  
View Quote

Haha.  I've had my AR for several months now, and still can't get used to it after a few thousand rounds.  I seriously thought I put in the spring wrong or something the first time I took the rifle out to shoot, but it has never failed to chamber so I haven't touched it.

Anyway, glad to hear I'm the only one with a springy AR.      
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Get used to it....

I put some grease on my spring, I cant hear it anymore...

Rob
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The sound of the spring during firing is Stoner's built in mag change indicator... [;)]

I love the sound the action spring makes... it lets me know all is right with the world, and that my AR is healthy and happy...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
It's an AR15!  Absolutely normal, learn to live with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely hate the sprong sound.. 'Makes my expensive rifles sound like a Red Ryder BB gun...  Lube up the spring really well then let it dry. Put it back in and you should have no more sprong.. Thats what I did but you can always buy a pneumatic buffer if you dont like the idea of giving something else for the dirt to stick to..
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, theres no room for sound insulation, I assure you it wont give away your postion like the sound of the bullet. It's all part of that blackfifle experience! Enjoy it or just focus on the pop,pop,pop of that 223!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
ShadowOne the problem can be cured in 3 ways.

1. Sell or give this obviously defective gun to me.

2. Fire from hip.

3. Rapid fire. [heavy]

Jokes aside its part of the design and the sound does let you know when you are empty (or have a malfunction). But guys for some reason I seem to here less sprong in my AR that has a teletock vs. the regular A1 and A2. Maybe its just me?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't even notice the sound anymore, but when I first shot the AR, I said it sounds like the bedsprings in the room next door in a cheap motel.

LOL
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a hard time getting used to the sproing at first as well. But after a few thousand rounds, I don't notice it anymore. I think you'll get used to it eventually. Either way, keep shooting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The chrome silicone springs don't seem to make the "noise". I have them in all my ars and like them a lot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
4 words.

Olympic Arms pneumatic buffer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
4 words.

Olympic Arms pneumatic buffer.
View Quote

I saw a vid, and it looked damn sweet.  The guy had no muzzle climb at all -- and without a muzzle break.  Just waiting on a model for the collapsible stocks.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Another option, albeit __NOT__ cost effective is to go with a ZM Weapons LR-300 and rid yourself of that pesky buttstock-buffer-buffer tube combination all together! [;)]

You would save yourself about $1700 to go with a pneumatic piston instead though...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Tetra grease on the buffer spring, just a tad, and it will go away and not make a grating sound when charging either.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Jokes aside its part of the design and the sound does let you know when you are empty (or have a malfunction). But guys for some reason I seem to here less sprong in my AR that has a teletock vs. the regular A1 and A2. Maybe its just me?
View Quote

It always seemed more noticeable to me with a regular stock than a tele. I think it resonates more with an A1 or A2.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top