Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 7:38:35 AM EDT
Found an SP1 in about 98% condition at a gun show and the dealer was asking $1250.00 out the door. Is this a good price? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i would say thats a good price and the going rate, i have purchased 2 sp1's in the last few months, one was in 98% and the other 90% and they where around same price....Jason
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Okiehunter, depends on whether or not you believe the ban will sunset next year or not.  If you believe the ban will continue then that's not a bad price.  If you believe the ban will end why would you want an early AR-15 with no forward assist when you can buy a contemporary AR with a better design for considerably less money.

A lot of SP1's seem to be changing hands now.

Just depends on what you believe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself a brand new AR, instead paying $450 more than a new Bushmaster will run you for a used rifle with a non-standard push pin...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I consider $1200 to be the going rate for what you describe so....... that is not a great price but it seems to be [b]the[/b] price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank You all for all your input. This would not be my only AR. I currently have 4 post bans including a Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS and J&T kit build on a DPMS lower. Ban or no ban shouldnt there be some collectability for SP1's since they havent been made in almost 20 years? As for the ban I guess buying any preban is a roll of the dice right now. Value could go either way depending on the outcome in 2004. Once again Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been seing them in the 1000-1100 range.  I would give $1100 as an offer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I paid $1100 for mine, but it isn't pristine. It has a faint number etched into the left side of the reciever. The dealer told me that the gun originally belonged to a prison and they marked them all like that. He had several of them and I took the best one. The number doesn't jump out at you. I had to point it out to my friends. I wouldn't consider $1200 to be out of line for a really nice one.
I got mine primarily for nostalgia. I owned one back in the early 80s and figured I needed one in my collection just because it was the first one I owned.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top