Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2003 5:22:17 AM EDT
Newbie here. Wondering if you all can tell me the pros and cons to an HBAR. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Supposed to be more accurate than thinner pencil barrels, but you pay for it in weight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Pro: They heat up slower.

Con: They're unnecessarily heavy for a 5.56
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheaper for the manufacturer to produce is about the only real benefit of the HBAR.  [;)]  Unless you're planning on some extended full-auto fire, the lighter profile barrel has no negatives.  Reprofiling HBAR's to a lightweight configuration is a mainstay of the AR gunsmithing community...

[img]img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/122167/BCQLRVWSAKNVVYJDKUJS-KKF02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
By your logic, the increase cost to manufacture, or re-work a HBAR, to light weight profile, would be a negative.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the HBAR myself.  I had the choice of building an M4gery or a 6721 copy -- I went with the 6721.  If guys complain that a 16" HBAR carbine is too heavy, I think they should hit the gym...

[baby]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They all start out fat.  They are then turned down to HBAR, or A2, or pencil thin, as needed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I know I'm new but I HATE the H-Bar.

The whole reason I started my interest into M16's, AR15's etc. was because I admired how such a light-weight weapon was so powerful.

Whenever I am in a gun shop, all they have to sell are H bars.  Holding one is a pure contradiction to everything I've ever thought of regarding M16's (AR15's..)  I'm a right handed shooter.  Holding that gold-bar weight in my left hand seems completely ridiculous to me.  

I admit that if H-Bars weren't so popular, they wouldn't be stocked as they are in stores, but the FIRST consideration I had in looking for a firearm was LIGHT WEIGHT.  

Sorry, I may have pissed some people off here, but a heavy barrel ruins the whole point behind the M16/AR15 in MY opinion.  I bought an M4 type which may not be the lightest, but it's like cotton compared to the 20" H-bars that people are buying now.

Anthony
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO A2 Gov't balances a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
In carbine/CQB arms, the down side of the Hbar/ any added weight is the decrease in speed with which the weapon "points".  Swinging more weight to "on target" decreases the speed w/ which "getting on target" can occur.  The added inertia, however small, also makes slowing/stopping "on target"  more diffficult.  I don't think the real issue w/ Hbars is the added overall weight.  It's the added mass/weight toward the muzzle of the weapon.  Fighting arms should be as light as possible/practical for that reason.
If its not a fighting arm, don't worry.  Unless the added weight just bothers you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
My Colt 16" HBar
[img]http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL99/1184889/2242371/27098843.jpg[/img]

My Bushmaster 16" HBar turned down to LW specs with KKF A2 FFS/T installed.
[img]http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL99/1184889/2242371/27098817.jpg[/img]

I prefer Colts to Bushmasters hands down, but guess which one gets shot and which one spends most of its time in a gun sock in my safe?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top