Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2003 10:27:07 AM EDT
My wife just informed me (as I was explaining to her how stupid the assault weapons ban was), that she thinks all guns "like mine" should be banned.  I asked her if she meant all black guns, or all guns that shoot bullets.  I can't believe she's turned into a liberal!  I guess I could either deal with it or try and argue with her and stay on the couch.  

Anyone else got a soccer mom wife?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
No offense, but you mean to tell me that you didn't know this when you married her?  I would be extremely unhappy if I was married to an anti-gun, hippy-ass liberal.  I could tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes, but you probably wouldn't want to hear it.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My g/f was like this.

I showed her common logic and took her shooting often.

She now rolls her eye everytime a person speaks abour banning guns and she is always dying to go to gunshows with me now.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Been trying to take her to the range for a long time now, won't go :(.

Wasn't into guns when I married her many years and kids ago.  Guess it'll take me having to save her life once or twice for her to get it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
ask her if she would feel the same way if one night when she is home alone and some1 is trying to kick down your door
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I used recent events such as a gang rape/home invasion that took place earlier this year involving 20 men and a 13-year old girl.  Her answer was, "Well that girl would've been dead too".  I replied, "not if it was me shooting".
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Been trying to take her to the range for a long time now, won't go :(.

Wasn't into guns when I married her many years and kids ago.  Guess it'll take me having to save her life once or twice for her to get it.
View Quote

ONly one thing left to do....

You got a shovel? You got a back yard?

You know what to do next....
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
No way man... I'm _not_ taking her gardening with me.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No way man... I'm _not_ taking her gardening with me.  [:D]
View Quote

Why?

She'd make great fertilizer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife just informed me (as I was explaining to her how stupid the assault weapons ban was), that she thinks all guns "like mine" should be banned.  I asked her if she meant all black guns, or all guns that shoot bullets.  I can't believe she's turned into a liberal!  I guess I could either deal with it or try and argue with her and stay on the couch.  

Anyone else got a soccer mom wife?
View Quote

Unless she can qualify her argument, you have no chance of making points that will hit home. That's why you can't argue with toddlers. I have not found anyone that can, when asked to defend their position, survive a 2A argument. They might not change their mind, but they won't leave the table feeling like they won the battle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]
My last girlfriend was convinced she was going to get me to get rid of all my guns.  She even enjoyed the times we went shooting, but still insisted that guns were "compensating."  

Shes gone now.

[wave]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, guns were a topic that came up prior to marriage with me and my wife...  there were issues at first (due to parental sheltering) but she's intelligent and realizes that they're tools and not inherently evil.

Alex
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Posterboy..
Your wife is a person like you are with her own ideas. You're unlikely to change them. Until she tells you to get rid of the guns and you tell her not to let the door hit her in the ass on the way out, just let it go. My bro-in-law's wife is like that, Yap, yap, yap about his guns but they have four kids and a stable marriage. My wife can't understand why I need more than one gun (she has a 649). She just figures it is my hobby. It will be 26 years next month.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like my story, Posterboy.  I didn't get into shooting until I'd been married a year or two, and then found out my wife's an anti.  I think she's slowly coming around, though.  She used to act real pissy after I'd come home from a match or practice session, but lately she even asks me how I did and if I had fun etc.

Make sure she knows you ALWAYS obey ALL the safety rules, and always obey the law.  Also, point out any time you can when a lawful citizen uses a gun for good, and when a bad guy uses a gun for evil and gets what he had coming.  It won't always work, she'll still spout off something like "well, if guns were never invented"...or something like that, but just reason with her.  "You can's uninvent firearms, and you can't confiscate them.  I'm a law-abiding citizen, but if I give away all my guns, do you think all the criminals will do the same?  Hell no!  They'll be the ones with the guns and they can ..." You get the picture...

Also, don't discuss firearms around that special time of the month--they get extra emotional about then ya know...

HTH
YMMV

Anyone else have anything that might HELP me and PB?

flame away
[pyro]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Take her shooting.  Once she feels the raw power...she'll come away from the dark side.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Heh LBR, yeah I asked her how she felt about personal protection...she said, "I use it during the heavy times of the month".
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like something mine might say...I just let it roll off my back (sometimes it's tough)

I do make sure she knows that shooting (especially when I do well) makes me happy, and that I always practice safety and obey the law...eventually she'll come around.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Start pimping her out to your friends.
That way you'll spend more time out on the streets,
and less time on the computer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
My 3rd date with my wife was at the shooting range.  We went shooting before we 'got busy'.  You gotta have your priorities.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I told my wife before we were maried that this is my sport, hobby and collection and I've had them longer than you.  The guns come with me.  We've been happily married 5 years now.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]
[donahue]Maybe next time you should buy some flowers instead of another case of ammo[/donahue]

Hold on...

Hold on..

Hold on.

Zzzzzziiiiiiiiipppppp.

Okay flame suit on.

Hit it.
[pyro] [flame]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I married a German woman. German political "moderates" would be liberal Democrats in the U.S.

She enjoyed shooting with me when we were dating, but has now announced that she will no more, on principal.  If I had known, I might have given up on her, but she has some other skills that are, shall we say, persuasive.

she does not understand the basic argument behind the 2nd amendment, but that's not surprising.  She comes from a different culture, where the relationship to the government is quite different from ours.
She feels that it's somehow okay for me to have guns, but not just ANYONE.

The fundamental argument from her side must be this:  I would be willing to give up my guns, for the greater good, even if someone were trying to break down my door in the middle of the night.  If someone is willing to make this argument, then none of us can help them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I could live with gun control like that.
It's okay for me to have guns, but no one else.
But I like the other kind of gun control better, the kind where I can have guns, and you can have guns, and he can have guns, and she can have guns. I'd like to buy the world a gun, in peace and harmony.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#23]
just make sure you hit her above the hairline......just kidding.......my wifes a liberal too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#24]
This week, my wife had to give a speech for her speech class and her topic was the AWB and anti-gun laws in general and how they are unconstitutional and basically B.S. except she used more professional wording of course. She got most of her info from here and I guess it went well. When we got married, she tried to hit me with the old "your not having guns in our house" routine, but I made it clear that the guns were part of the package. Now on top of all of mine, she has her own AR, 12ga., and Sig 228. So maybe there's hope for your wife yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Tell you what. Lock up all your guns, and tell her your going out. then have your friend wear "thug" clothes and a ski mask. Have him break into your house and make like he's gonna attack her( without a gun) of course. I'll bet she falls in love with guns REAL quick. Nothing like a near death experience to change someones opinion.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd love to read her speech, maybe she can post it here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
This is hilarious...hehe.

I'm not married yet, but I do live with my girlfriend. She comes home and I'm cleaning guns or just admiring one of them. She only gets mad when I buy one and I don't buy her a present too. Maybe next time I'll buy her some ammo and extra mags! About your wife man, just get the kids into shooting and teach them all the safety stuff. When you turn your family into a bunch of shooters then she'll have to convert. You can't shelter your own kids can you Wifey, can you? Or if all else fails say for every gun I own, you get a diamond that sits there on your finger and does nothing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#28]
In order to build my collection thus far, I've had to purchase a new sewing machine, embroidery machine, serger, and a new dishwasher.

I'm not down with that whole "admiring your guns" thing, that's kinda like masturbation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#29]
This is by far the funniest thread on this site!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife was raised in a city where all guns are bad. I have since taken her shooting and she enjoys it. She has also gone hunting with me and recently joined the NRA. I feel very good about her!

Karl
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I could live with gun control like that.
It's okay for me to have guns, but no one else.
View Quote

Hey, that sounds like the gun-control Feinstein wants! (at least in respect to her bodyguards)

Ooh, ooh, also sounds like the Feds during the Clinton Administration..

Edited to add: I'm going for [i]humor[/i] here.. Please, be gentle..
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tell you what. Lock up all your guns, and tell her your going out. then have your friend wear "thug" clothes and a ski mask. Have him break into your house and make like he's gonna attack her( without a gun) of course. I'll bet she falls in love with guns REAL quick. Nothing like a near death experience to change someones opinion.[:)]
View Quote

I could see that work, however I'm also thinking of the more likely situation: She is FORCED to accept his guns because she takes them all in the divorce. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#33]
BTT.  My mother thinks the same way.  I don't understand her position since she grew up in communist Hungary and should know better.  Her parents ran a government corner store and not too infrequently Soviet soldiers armed with AK-47's would break in and steal all the vodka in the middle of the night (If only her family had a few AR's!).  I've tried explaining to her that guns are there to protect the 'people' blah blah blah, but she just doesn't get it.

My wife loves to shoot handguns, so no soccer mom; but I feel your pain.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not down with that whole "admiring your guns" thing, that's kinda like masturbation.
View Quote

Your right, it is. Thats why I clean my guns all the time, even if I haven't been shooting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife was neutral for the first 20 years of our marriage.  She didn't mind my guns, but she showed no interest in shooting.  UNTIL I bought my first AR.  I talked her into shooting it and she fell in love!  She has now shot everything I own except my 30-06.  She now has her own M4gery and her own SAR1.  I still get a kick out of peoples reaction at the range when they see a 50 y/o woman gettin busy with her evil black guns!!  The only thing "liberal" about her is the amount of ammo she burns up.  So keep your chin up, your wife may just surprise you someday.

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
How many shoes does she have?

Always try and date a chick that has lots of shoes.  I have fantastic success linking guns to shoes.

Her: "You bought another gun?  How many is that now?"

Me:  "How many pairs of shoes do you have?"

And then there was glorious silence.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How many shoes does she have?

Always try and date a chick that has lots of shoes.  I have fantastic success linking guns to shoes.

Her: "You bought another gun?  How many is that now?"

Me:  "How many pairs of shoes do you have?"

And then there was glorious silence.
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Show her this article.  I read about this rapist a couple of years ago, and they found his body in the parking lot after he staggered outside.  
[url]http://www.kc3.com/self_defense/thug_gone.htm[/url]

Text:
Another Thug Done Gone
By Robert A. Waters - 06.30.00

On November 17, 1998, at 3:00 a.m., Adrian Rodricka Cathey jimmied open the back door of an apartment near the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. He made his way through the house until he reached the bedroom where the co-ed he'd been stalking was asleep.

But as Cathey attempted to rape her, the woman reached into a nightstand, retrieved a handgun, and blasted her assailant dead. DNA tests revealed he was the serial rapist who had terrorized the university community for nearly a year.

Police quickly ruled the shooting justified, and a spokesman for UNCC stated the university was glad "the menace was relieved."

Cathey, who had a history of arrests for sexual violence as well as attempted murder, had raped at least four other UNCC co-eds. Because serial rapists are notoriously difficult to capture, they average committing more than twenty rapes before being caught. The co-ed, whose name was never reported, undoubtedly saved not only herself but many others from the humiliation of sexual assault.

While no national law enforcement agency keeps records of self-defenses with firearms, numerous studies have determined that large numbers of Americans use guns each year for that purpose. Thirteen surveys conducted between 1976 and 1994 estimated anywhere from 770,000 to 3.6 million armed self-defenses each year.

In every investigation into the issue, self-defense with firearms out-numbered deaths with firearms by wide margins.

Other studies have shown that many criminal attacks are never committed because the assailant suspects that an intended victim might be armed. A study by the National Institute for Justice proves this: seventy-four percent of felons surveyed reported that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are home is that they fear being shot by the victim."

Yet those who would ban or severely restrict fireams will never address the subject of armed self-defense.

When several victims who had defended their lives with firearms testified at a Congressional hearing in 1997, Rep. Charles Schumer, New York, dismissed their stories as "anecdotes."

When Dr. Gary Kleck, criminologist at Florida State University, published the results of more than twenty years of research indicating two-and-a-half-million self-defense with firearms incidents each year, anti-gunners claimed his figures were "exaggerated."

When University of Chicago professor Dr. John Lott, Jr. presented the most detailed study ever done on concealed carry laws, his study was dismissed as "flawed." Why? Because his research concluded that when citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons, it helps reduce violent crime.

Why are anti-gunners so quick to try to deflect the subject of armed self-defense?

Because they know the issue is a loser for them. If Americans knew the number of lives that are saved by guns, they would overwhelmingly reject the arguments of the gun-banners.

But the following questions beg to be answered about the UNCC case, and, by extension, every other case in which a citizen uses a gun in self-defense.

Would the UNCC co-ed who killed the serial rapist have been better off without a firearm?

Would society have benefitted had she not had a weapon with which to defend herself?

Should she have waited on police to come to rescue, as most anti-gunners claim is the proper procedure when threatened?

Would she have been able to adequately defend herself if she'd been required to keep a trigger lock on her gun?

How many future victims were saved by the armed co-ed?

Is self-protection an inalienable, unalterable right? Or is it a right granted by government?

The last question is what dooms the gun-banners. Millions of citizens will not voluntarily give up the best means of self-protection available to them. Indeed, they consider it criminal to demand that they do so.

The co-ed at UNCC may have sat through political science seminars in which liberal professors weighed in on the dangers of guns. She may have listened with interest as President Clinton pontificated on his resolve to ultimately ban handguns. Had they known about the evil weapon lurking in the co-ed's drawer, feminists on the UNCC campus may have attempted to brainwash her into getting rid of it.

But, in the end, the co-ed made a decision to protect herself.

Will anyone argue that she made the wrong choice? That her personal safety was less pressing than the politically correct opinion of the day?

That is the question Charles Schumer and President Clinton and the Million Moms refuse to answer.

Why?

Because to do so would affirm the right of Americans to keep and bear arms
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#39]
MAN!....I'd say get rid of her...but that'd be more trouble and you'd end up having to sell your guns for alimony! One of the first things I do when I date someone is to find out what they think of guns.  If they're questionable I take them to the range and see how they handle themselves.  This is the first test they go thru...after that there's the religious beliefs stuff etc. God, Guns, and Rock and Roll....Nuge had it right!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I never talk shit on my wife to others, especially others I don't really know.  I think it is bad Zen.  No I am not doggin you if you hang a little shit on the wife.....it is funny.
Not much shit to talk anyway.  My wife is an outstanding "Cop-wife".  I have been on nights for 3.5 years now and she puts up with all of the BS that goes with it.  Mood-swings, grouchy-ass from lack of sleep, stress, etc, and my alpha-male attitued.  And asks for very little in return.  When she is tired from working all day she still finds time to cut my hair at 2130 hrs before my tour of duty, when she could be having a hot bath or reading a book.  She is awesome and I an not ashamed to say that I would not be the man I am without her.
Now.....wasn't that special.
She is neither pro-gun or anti-gun.  She is kind of neutral.  Tought her to shoot my Glock....didn't care for the recoil.  Give her a break, she is kind of wee.  So I picked up a Ruger single-six at a gunshow for her (yea right, good excuse)  She does like it and shoots it fairly well.  So...I obliged and loaded up the magnum cylider with hollow points and she keeps it close by on those nights when I am out on the job.
She is very forgiving on my, what she calls toys, puchases.  Doesn't let me run wild with it, but is generous just the same.  And she doesn't mind eating the wild boar that I just brought home in March, taken with a SRH in .480 Ruger.(which she allocated funds for)
And, she seems to have come to grips with the reality that her beloved hubby may have to engage in a lethal force encounter one of these nights while doing what he does.  And that is OK in her eyes.  She knows how to act and what to do if we are ever out together and a threat presents itself.
Funny scene at our house.....I was surfing gunbroker and eyeballing a Springfield XD, the .357 sig with the green furniture model, and let out an ooooohhh.  She happen to walk by the offfice and stepped in to see the object of my oogle.  Her comment was "well....I guess I would rather have you giving that kind of response to a gun than some chick with her legs spread" in her sarcastic tone.  Patted me on the shoulder, rolled her eyes with a smile, and walked out.
God bless her, and all of them for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Posterboy........... don't think of it as sleeping on the couch. Think of it as camping.
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife is not in to guns, however does not mind them.  She can shoot well.  One time we were discussing her girl friend's situation.  Her girl friend's husband had purchased a gun without his wife's permission.  My wife thought that was not good.  I agreed with her and said that she (my wife) should have my permission to purchase anything.  Well that was the end of the purchase permission issue.  Then she said that she did not understand why men bought guns.  I told her it was just like sewing machines.  Everyone has to have one and no one uses them.  Well to make a long story short.  I do get to sleep in my bed, I have been married for 25 years, and my wife supports my gun hobby.  Now I would caution you not to try this at home.  Leave it to professionals.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Like a wise man once said,and i quote"i don't trust any thing that bleed's for  week and does'nt die" It just don't seem natural,does it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Posterboy, I'd be more worried about who she has been talking to than how she feels about your guns. Has she always been like this or have their been changes in her dress, personality, feelings about certain things? I'm curious if she has developed new friends.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife is great. Tells me to "buy it" just about everytime I look at one. I don't, of course, but I probably have pushed my luck a little over the past year. Right now I need time to shoot all the shit I bought.
Not too much into shooting herself but the last time I took her out to shoot my Glock she said she loved the smell of gunpowder!
She flings my clay pigeons for me when it is time to practice up for hunting season and she agreed with me last week when I told her it waas good she didn't mind that I was a little bit of a crazy fucker. She said she didn't mind that one bit. Heheheh.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Check out this thread at The High Road it has some of the greatest prose on 2A and gun ownership I have seen in one thread combined.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27373
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Take her to the range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#48]
For my wife's birthday she wanted a diamond ring, to show my love for her a got her a Glock G26, when my sister was showing her diamond ring my dear wife said she got a Glock, 3 months later my sister bought a Sig 229. There is always hope. By the way my wife got her ring and teaches the Eddie Eagle course in her 4th grade class.                                    
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife used to TRIP when all my friends would come over and set their handguns on the counter. So i bought her a Kahr K9 and we took a CCW class together. She shot tighter groups than I did and learned about the law. Now she's all about shooting and guns. She was a little confused about what to make of my AR when she first saw it(she's only shot handguns before), but I took her out and she got on it no problem. Someone there also let us shoot his MP5, and now that's all she can talk about heh. I think most people who have liberal ideas about guns only do so because they are ignorant in the safe handling of them and the laws that apply to them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quote: PosterBoy
-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

Yah, and.......

you've never done that before right!

Man, I have to disagree. They sleep with their M14's in Full Metal Jacket. Doing a bit admiring is nothing. Everyone needs a passion right? If I want to hold my gun and run around the house pretending I'm swat than I will. hehe.

PS. At least once a day bro or your not a man! Even if your married or have a constant supply!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top