Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 2:00:09 PM EDT
Took the new (to me) Oly to the range today for a real sight in at 100 yds.  Fired a few foulers, checked the spotter scope.  Clean paper.  Hmm.  Three more for effect.  Clean paper.  Couldn't even see where on the berm it might be hitting, due to the nature of the range layout.

Tried it at 50 yds. next.  Cranked the front sight a lot, and got it down so they were hitting in the general area of the paper.  Then went to work and found it was hitting left.  Like the next target over left.  Finally, I got the thing to hit the paper, but the rear sight is damn near bottomed out to the right to get it there.

I guess there could be a bent barrel, or the front sight is bunged up some how.  I can lay targets low with other rifles, so I'm hoping it isn't CHS syndrome (Can't Hit S--t).

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?  
head.gif
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...but the rear sight is damn near bottomed out to the right to get it there.....
[banghead]
View Quote

If its NEAR the end (but not there) and your hitting center of mass I wouldn't worry about it.  Either the front sight was put on wrong (Oly did have a problem a few years ago with their jig) or the barrel was installed improperly (Bushmaster is more known for that kind of issue).

Either way if you're zeroed I wouldn't worry.  If not then call up Oly - I'm sure they will take care of it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Check and see if your front sight tower is canted or leaning to one side.

Might be able to fix it by reindexing the barrel (this problem usually causes ARs to shoot too far right, though).

It's probably no big deal, but little things like that bug me too. [;)]

Doesn't oly have a good warranty?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
should have bought a colt!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You got to move that front site base to the left, either at front site base or the whole barrel at the receiver.

There is a fella here, Homo-Erectus, (no kidding, that's what he goes by) says you can remove the barrel, file a tad or 2 off the side indexing notch in the lower receiver (left side in your case), and peen the other side to take up the slop.  That will rotate the barrel counter clock-wise looking down the sites.

Another fix would be to replace the front site pins with set screws.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
if you bought it new from a dealer, I would give oly a call and get another rifle......although you are still able to zero it, still for the price it shouldn't be that far off....I have 3 ARs and the most I have to move the windage is 3 clicks. these ain't like the 300 dollar AKs (SARs) that are slapped together, with bad workmanship, except for hesse and ASA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like the front sight tower isn't indexed properly.  The tech manuel tells how to properly index it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like the front sight tower isn't indexed properly.  The tech manuel tells how to properly index it.
View Quote

No the Tech manuals don't tell you how to do anything with the front sight.  The manuals instructons are on re-installing the barrel.  Front sight is considered part of the barrel assembly - if its screwed up you're to replace the assembly or try reinstalling the barrel (because the barrel didn't get it two 'pre torques').
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top