Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2003 9:48:53 PM EDT
Has anyone with any authority ever stopped you and asked to measure your barrel length? If so please describe. I'm curious when and by whom this would be checked. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Course, I dont take my guns out into public much.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It could be checked by any LEO, in actuality, I only ever see it checked by Fish Cops (Fish and Game).
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, twice.  I shoot on public land and have been checked by both Fish & Game and a BLM Ranger.

Both were somewhat aware of the 16" requirement and postban vs preban requirements.  Was told by the Ranger that they receive this info from the BATF as part of their semi-annual training.

Fortunatly, I had a copy of my Form 1 with me and a serial no# listing for Colts or in one instance the gun may have been confiscated until I could have produced them.

Oh, and BTW, the Ranger was even aware of the NFA marking/engraving requirement for SBR's and wanted to see it.

The Ranger told me that a hiker had called him an told him that there was a man shooting a "machine gun." The gun is a semi-auto, pre-ban (Colt SP-1 lower) registared as an SBR
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I make a point of always taking the 10.5" bbl. set up.  Then they don't have to guess if it's too short.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.

I shoot at a range that has many LEO as members too.

One did ask whether it was pre or post, though.

Its always fun having LE drool all over my M4gery.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and BTW, the Ranger was even aware of the NFA marking/engraving requirement for SBR's and wanted to see it.
View Quote

What requirements?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Southern_Raider

BATF has regulations on how large the lettering must be and how deep the engraving must go when marking the manufacturers name and serial number a newly manufactured firearm.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top