Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2003 1:41:20 PM EDT
   I think someone will be able to help me.  I couldn't find any FAQ or anything.  Anyway, I have a pre-ban Bushmaster with 16" barrel.  2 months ago it worked fine.  I brought it out today to put an ACOG on it and sight it in.  I pull the trigger and first shot fires, ejects, loads second round.  Go to pull trigger again and it feels like it does when the bolt is locked back.  I pulled back on the charging handle and the second round ejected and the 3rd round loaded fine.  3rd round fired fine.  Then the same process again and again.  What is wrong with my rifle?

-DEERSNIPER

edit:  happens on  my Colt 20 and 3 Thermold 30s
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Inspect your carrier for damage, sounds like its stripping a round off one side of the mag and not the other.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you have a damaged disconnector that may be letting the hammer ride down.  Furner, it sounds like he's saying it feeds the rounds when the bolt goes home, just no primer detonation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It strips rounds off both sides of mag.  Anyone else think it is the disconnecter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think you have a damaged disconnector that may be letting the hammer ride down.  Furner, it sounds like he's saying it feeds the rounds when the bolt goes home, just no primer detonation.
View Quote

I think you are right, I was looking at my lower and that could very well be it, at the price of a disconnector, why not try it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nuh-uuh!! That's impossible!! Can't be...no such thing. Everybody knows that Bushmasters are the sh!t.

According to some people, stuff like that only happens to Oly's.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nuh-uuh!! That's impossible!! Can't be...no such thing. Everybody knows that Bushmasters are the sh!t.

According to some people, stuff like that only happens to Oly's.  
View Quote

There's the problem.  Someone grinded the Oly name off, and engraved the word Bushy. [pound]

Bush is the sh't [headbang]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree - disconnect or hammer.  Sounds like the hammer is riding down with the carrier.

(incidently, I'm having the exact same problem with a 10/22.  It only rides down after firing, never when charged by hand.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds very similar to the problem I had about two weeks ago with my brand new Bushmaster.  The original thread is in the "Troubleshooting" forum.

My initial problem was a blown primer that got caught in the trigger mech.  The trigger would not reset properly and when I pulled it It felt like the safety was on.  Horizontal movement of the trigger caused it to reset and it would fire.  Also, I was NOT able to duplicate the malfunction manually.  I took the lower apart, inspected all the parts, cleaned and degreased all the parts, then applied Millcom TW25B grease to all the bearing surfaces (TetraGun grease would also work).  I reassembled the lower, checked for function, then went to the range.  No more problems to date.  

As for what the exact cause of the problem is? - I don't know.  

E-mail me if you have any questions or want to discuss this further.

Sarge
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Before you go tearing down anything try a GI 30 round mag if every other round is firing normal I dont think it would be the disconector,if your disconector broke the L shaped groove machined in the front part of the hammer that strikes the firing pin would hang up on the bottom of the bolt carrier where you can see the rear of the firing pin sticking out it looks like a ramp the way its machined, thats why they machine it out so it will hang up if it breaks other wise it would probably go auto for 3 to 5 shots before the hammer catches the trigger sear. the hammer and carrier bottom are not machined in these areas on a select fire rifle they are only machined on semi autos.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you done a function check?

***Unload the rifle***

Operate the charging handle.

Place the selector on safe and pull the trigger (MAKE SURE IT'S UNLOADED). The hammer should not release.

Place the selector on fire and pull the trigger and HOLD IT BACK. The hammer should release.

Operate the charging handle while STILL holding the trigger to the rear.

Let the trigger out and pull it again. The hammer should release.

If any of these steps fails, you have a fire control problem.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Function check is a go.  Everything went as supposed to.  Could the disconnector/hammer still be at fault?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Function check is a go.  Everything went as supposed to.  Could the disconnector/hammer still be at fault?
View Quote

Well, the function check doesn't rule out ALL fire control problems. It just makes it less likely if it's done properly. If it had failed, it would mean something was wrong for sure. It could still be an intermittent problem. First thing to do is switch mags and see if the problem continues with several GI mags and DIFFERENT batches of ammo. If the problem does continue after trying different mags/ammo, I would look at the fire control group for worn or improperly installed parts.

From what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like a mag or ammo problem, but ya never know...

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same problem on my BUSHMASTER, even though it fuctioned perfectly on the function check. when firing it,  disconnector didn't release the hammer enough for it to be able to fire. I replaced the disconnector and all is right with the world.

when you you tried to fire it, was there any movement of the trigger? or was it like it was 'frozen" if so it's the disconnector.

the next time you fire it and it happens again. stop, take out the mag, break open the weapon "shotgun style", then press down on the hammer, and let go, I bet it will pop up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:27:40 AM EDT
[#14]
[b][size=4]UPDATE:[/size=4][/b]
The disconnector finally got here and i installed it.  Tried it this morning and F***.  Pull the trigger and bang.  Pull again and it feels like safety is on.  Flick safety off then on and then, pull the trigger, rifle fires.  Any other suggestions.
Thanks

-DEERSNIPER
[SNIPER]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Almost forgot, the back(the side facing the buffer) of the old disconnector is real shiny and about 2/10" shorter than the new one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]
What about the disconector spring,try that.The shiny part of the rear is from where the tail is machined off because it starts life as a full auto part I have 2 bushies a pre and post one disconector is a little longer than the other but they both function flawless the pre 10 years old havent changed a part yet and the post 2 years old it has the shorter disconector.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#17]
When all else fails ... take it to a gunsmith!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Has something happened to the detent and/or spring for the safety?  Does the safety solidy click into place when rotated?  Is it rotating on its own when you fire?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
   I think someone will be able to help me.  I couldn't find any FAQ or anything.  Anyway, I have a pre-ban Bushmaster with 16" barrel.  2 months ago it worked fine.  I brought it out today to put an ACOG on it and sight it in.  I pull the trigger and first shot fires, ejects, loads second round.  Go to pull trigger again and it feels like it does when the bolt is locked back.  I pulled back on the charging handle and the second round ejected and the 3rd round loaded fine.  3rd round fired fine.  Then the same process again and again.  What is wrong with my rifle?

-DEERSNIPER
[SNIPER]

edit:  happens on  my Colt 20 and 3 Thermold 30s
View Quote

What kind of ammo are you using? Sounds exactly like what was happening to me when I got a bad batch of South African battle pack surplus.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top