Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
Thought this was a good read:

www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plummets.htm
Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia
Crime Rate Plummets

by Chuck Baldwin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.

The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.

And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.

With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?

The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.

The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.

There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE: http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a38a75857671c.htm  

2nd Amendment

News Depts Articles Library Lite Stuff
Links Tysk, Tysk Rants Credits Home

24 feb 2000
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool story, thanks for sharing this...

Call Fox News, naybe they'll bring this to the light of day...

[sniper2}
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary...
View Quote

After the law went into effect in 1982...
View Quote

I wouldn't be too quick to push this article to Fox, if the author can't even figure that it's been 21 years since 1982, not 16 years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it all makes perfect sense if the article was written some years ago.  I didn't say it was breaking news, just an interesting read.  It's too bad nobody bothered to report on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It's the law, in Kennesaw.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Can we make this a federal law? [:D]

Looks like what they do in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently a few other cities do it too.  I like New Hampshire's take on it, they have a 2nd amendment in their state constitution...of course mandatory ownership would be nice too, but a few liberals are starting to try and take over the state.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Careful...we wouldn't want something like this to get out!! Next thing you know this kinda crap will be happening all around the country. Crazy talk!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The other side of the story is Morton Grove, Illinois. Kennesaw enacted their law in response to a law in Morton Grove outlawing any firearms within the city limits. A few months later Kennesaw required it. They are similar in some ways. A small suburb of Chicago and a small suburb of Atlanta, similar population sizes, similar demographics, with the big difference being the abundance of morons in M.G. to allow such a thing to go on all these years.

The crime rates in M.G. increased about the same amount the rates in Kennesaw decreased, in about the same length of time. Surprisingly, (to the liberal morons who believe or pretend to believe this crap they push) the crime rate has stayed elevated in M.G. over all these years while it has stayed lower in Kennesaw.

I do wish the media had the balls to report on this, at least as an annual observance on the anniversary dates. I also with the NRA and other groups would spend a little of their ad budget to see that commercials reporting these facts were aired around the country.

I salute Kennesaw for maintaining this all these years and hope they never back down.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree that the NRA ought to be doing something with information like this...I rarely ever see anything new coming out of the NRA lately.  Lots of Gun Magazine ads, very few (if none) TV ads.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top