Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2003 7:54:51 AM EDT
Would like some feedback on the DPMS rifles.

Accurate?

Good quality? Durable and reliable?

Am looking at an A3 gov't profile upper, FWIW.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking to purchase this from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]?  I have two of their 14.5", 1/7 twist, 4150, NATO chamber, M4 uppers and both shoot extremely well.  I have one pre-ban upper mounted on an SGW lower and I have a complete post-ban DPMS.  I couldn't be happier with them.  I've thought about building a gov't profile 20" next.  Let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a classic 16" DPMS and have not had one problem with it.  Guess I have sent about 2000 rds down range with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 of them and they are great shooters, They also are reasonably priced as well. Good luck and I hope that you are happy with what you decide.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20" bull barrel DPMS, and it also shoots great.............
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
i went to the dpms website and saw those uppers with the big ass bull barells. so i was wondering can they be put on any lower? like a bushmaster lower?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i went to the dpms website and saw those uppers with the big ass bull barells. so i was wondering can they be put on any lower? like a bushmaster lower?
View Quote

As long as it has the standard push pins, or if you have a large hole colt, you will need the adapter. I have shot a few DPMS rifles, just the standard 16", but they functioned and grouped quite well.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The DPMS/CMMG barrels are really your only choice right now if you want a true gov profile M4 barrel - 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1 in 7 twist.  And they rock.  You won't have any regrets with DPMS.  Good people to speak with as well, if you need to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a heads up here. I used a few friends  DPMS rifles, liked them. So when it came time to buy a rifles in 7.62x39 I ordered one from DPMS. This began 14 weeks of phone calls. Each with time being told it will be 2 more weeks the (fill in the blank) part is not ready. After week 15 I canceled the order and bought a VEPR. I think DPMS build a good gun, but my experience is that I will not Order anything from them if it isn't on the shelf it doesn't exist
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Does any one have any idea, how close the color of a dpms upper matches a Rock River Arms lower.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Other than the old gray Essential Arms receivers, all the rest, wipe a little oil on them and they all match well enough.  

Man, I 've seen factory built AR's that the upper and lower had a different finish, not so much color, but sheen.  Also, with age, the matte finish get's slightly shiner.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
K2 Sports here in Richardson sells them at a good price.
Call John and talk to him about it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been nothing but pleased with my DPMS Classic Sixteen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Great quality, very reasonable prices, but unless DPMS has it in stock when you order it you may wait months and months and months before you see it. 5 month wait on uppers last time I checked. They seem to have a problem with parts suppliers delivering on schedule.  DPMS is a wonderful company staffed with really nice folks but they have shitty vendors.

IMHO:    (also listed in order of preference)

Bushmaster = Best quality, good prices, good availability.

DPMS = Great quality, best prices, poor availability.

RRA = Great quality, good prices, good availability.

Colt = Average quality, ridiculous prices, poor availability.

Armalite = (don't know enough to comment)

Hesse = Don't ask

As I said, these are humble opinions, so nobody is allowed to jump my ass.  I therefore invoke the holy order of ass jumpproofedness!  Ni!  Ni!

[NI]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Great rifles!  I have a Panther Classic 20" and have zero complaints about it.  Just do yourself a favor and find one in a shop, or at a gun show...just like every one else said, ordering one is a nightmare.

Oh yeah...as far as uppers and lowers not matching on some...the DPMS "teflon" finish on my rifle matches perfectly!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Good thing that Arkansas_Rocket man envoked the holy order of ass jumpproofedness. A good flaming was working up inside me on the Colt comment.LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you looking to purchase this from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]?  I have two of their 14.5", 1/7 twist, 4150, NATO chamber, M4 uppers and both shoot extremely well.  I have one pre-ban upper mounted on an SGW lower and I have a complete post-ban DPMS.  I couldn't be happier with them.  I've thought about building a gov't profile 20" next.  Let me know how it goes.
View Quote
                                                      I too have one of these from CMMG, Very nice barrel and the guys at CMMG are some of the best on the board.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#17]
As good if not better than most choices, buy and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#18]

My most recent purchase was a DPMS upper by CMMG.  It has the 4150, 16", 1/7 M4 barrel and I'very happy with it.  

I was getting 3/4" MOA at 100 yards with M193!

As a few other have mentioned I think the only way to go with a DPMS is with the CMMG version.

Good luck!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top