Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 8:25:26 PM EDT
Being new to this board I'd like to first say Hi.

I'm looking at buying pre-ban and in need of your thoughts.

www.prebanarms.com has 2 colts which interest me:

1: A2 R6520 Gov't Carbine, 99%. Cost is $2,895.00.
2: SP-1 Carbine R6001, 99%. Cost is 1,995.00.
Both have collapsible stock.

Appearance wise the only difference seems to be the forward assist which the A2 R6520 has. Anyone have any experience with prebanarms.com? Do the prices seem reasonable? Any thoughts on each particular model? Any reason for paying the added cost of the A2 vs the SP-1. All opinions welcome. Any other dealers I should look at?

Thanks,

Bill Paradise.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not wait a year and see if the ban expires and save $1,200-$2,000. Or buy a post-ban now and maybe get the chance to convert it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, some of the 6520's are not slab side.  I think none are large front pin.  

Sp1's are all slab sided and large front pin. (not mil spec.)  There's 2 reasons to spend the extra 900.

6520's are alot more rare and more coveted.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about that and I'm thinking the amount the price will go up if the ban continues will be greater then the savings if the ban goes away. If that makes any sense.

As much as I like President Bush I really think the ban is here to stay. Some of his tactics have been to take away the Dems core issues by partially adopting them himself ie: prescription drug program and child tax credit. If he's willing to expand Government then I don't see him drawing a line in the sand over assault weapons. I hope I'm wrong.

Perhaps if it could just be explained to the public that the only real difference in eliminating the ban is to get rid of all of the confusion in simply owning a rifle.

But then we might see a sharp rise in drive-by bayonetings.

But, I hear the call of the AR-15. I can't go back to the local dealer until I decide because they have a couple of the tree camo Bushmaster's which seem to tug at my credit card.

Bill Paradise
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster is the way to go!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
bill, as you said the ban isn't going to sunset. buy what you want.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You might consider taking your time and checking the boards here before buying. Buying from Preban Arms you will pay way over the going price of that firearm.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You might consider taking your time and checking the boards here before buying. Buying from Preban Arms you will pay way over the going price of that firearm.
View Quote

Thought well taken,

Bill Paradise
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
If I may add a question to this.

What is the difference between "green label" and "blue label"?

Thank you for all the help for this first time buyer.

Bill Paradise
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Bill and Catman the "ban" will not sunset. There may be some but, I cannot recall any gun law that has ever been repealed or allowed to "sunset".  Bill, I took the same attitude as you regarding buying a preban.  Over the past year I have bought an SP-1 and DPMS (cast) lower. The DPMS is a nice lower and functions perfectly, particularly given the price, but the SP-1 is far superior.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Bill,
Getsome is right.  You should shop around, prebanarms.com is about the most expensive place you can buy from!  There is also gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com you can check, sometimes you can find decent deals.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Shameless plug...
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=169752&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Food for thought.

If you are going to buy a preban, buy a rare Colt.  The value will probably remain fairly steady even if the ban sunsets.  If the ban doesn't sunset, the value will increase.

You could gamble on something like a preban lightweight Colt Sporter and put a collapsible stock on it.  The price could drop if the ban sunsets, but if the ban is renewed the value will increase.

Make sure you do your homework and buy at a good price.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The ban "will" expire but what is going to replace it is the "big" question.

On another note I have recently seen 95% SP1s at local gunshows for $1200-$1400.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What ever you do don't pay the ridiculous prices some of the dealers are asking for Colt rifles that don't even have the mil-spec parts (such as that stupid looking screw pivot pin).  $2,800 to $3,000 dollars for these things are insane.  And they are fuc**** used on top of it.  The novelty of the preban will wear off once you have one for a while and then all you'll have is one rifle with some not so needed features instead of 2 or 3 rifles and a shitload of ammunition and accessories to go with them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top