Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 2:24:49 PM EDT
the other day I was showing my cousin how an ar15 ejects shells, so I put an empty .223 shell into the bore by hand, pulled the charging handle, and it got jammed 3/4 of the way forward and jammed. I had done this with my colt 20 inch barrel upper, but I had put my RRA M-4 upper on the rifle for the little demonstration. I unjammed it with the cleaning rod and every thing was ok, but I'm worried that my m-4 upper was head spaced wrong  or some thing . or the bolt carrier is malfunctioning
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
try it again, maybe the bolt didnt grab the round enough for it to extract?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I did an experiment, I tried each upper, and each bolt carrier, each bolt carrier worked in the colt upper, but each bolt carrier failed in the RRA upper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The spent casing should NOT feed into your chamber nicely.

Empty cases require resizing and such!  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I know they don't feed, that's why I was loading them by hand directly into the chamber
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's been fired, then it's no longer the same size as an unfired cartridge.  The brass stretches.  If the chamber is tight, then this difference in dimension can cause the problem you describe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I meant what calvert said!  The brass is not the same dimension after it has been fired.  It's not your weapon.

I had some reloads that weren't resized propperly and they would not eject mannually.  spent casings are not good for your demonstration.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
i tried it with a live round (after taking the fireing pin out) and it worked, so i guess you guys are right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#8]
While you are swapping BCA, make sure you put them back in the correct weapon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top