Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:41:51 AM EDT
I did a search and could not come up with what I wanted. Sorry if this is a repeat question (I am sure it is).

I am looking for a new upper. This will go out into the woods for hunting upland game. I seem to prefer taking head shots with a rifle vs using a shotgun (squirrel, grouse and rabbits). I want something short, but it needs to be accurate. Will a 16" regular profile do the trick, or am I best off with a bull barrel. 16" or 20". Carbon or stainless steel. Am I best off getting a free-floating barrel. I am thinking about a A2 upper. If I just use one of the handguard scope mount, will I be ok. Thanks for all of the help. eagle308us
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If your going to want to hunt upland game, especially small animals then use a .22 LR or .22 Mag.  Going hunting with a .223 Rem to take head shots at a squirrel or a rabbit would be like taking a LAW for deer hunting.

but to answer your question either barrel a 16 inch or a 20 inch will be good at close range, when you reach beyond 500 yards then you will notice a difference.  If your going hunting I would suggest a 16 inch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you post pics?

I have to attest to the 16" bbl.  I used my 16"HBAR for deer in Missouri and took 2 bucks that dropped within 25 yards.  The biggest took 3 steps and dropped with well placed vital heart shots.  .223 cal. performed well beyond my expectations.  The 16" bl is easier to move around in the brush and woods and you can get it up quicker for and jump shots.  I also use it for Long shots at Groundhogs.  The deer where at around 75yds
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
try www.boomspeed.com to put your pic on the net

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top