Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2003 4:46:11 PM EDT
I was at the range today firing my AR for the first time.  I put a lot of rounds through it and it got fairly hot.  When I set it down I noticed that there was some smoke coming out.  What caught my attention was that it seemed to me to be coming out from the inside of the handguards instead of the muzzle.  Is this normal or should I be worried about this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
DAMN!  And I thought we found some banned chems in Iraq! [LOL]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
perfectly normal, and when mine did it, it smelled like ammonia too.......................
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Normal. I make a point of oiling the barrel under the handguards for that very reason.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I always clean and apply BreakFree under the handguards and burn it off the next range outing... Happiness is a hot, smoking AR... [;)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the time when I fire mine I will only put maybe 200 rounds through it at a time. The smoke has got to be oil burning off gas tube, I figure the barrel can't be getting that hot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how fast you shoot.. Dump a 30 rounder as fast as you can pull the trigger, then check it out. (Ittl be REALLY hot)My dad had an older (1980) Colt CAR 15. He swears he used to light cigs off of that lightweight bbl. after a mag or two.. John
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been at the range sighting my new Bushmaster carbine, and after adjustment I shot about 20 rounds in a nice group at 100 yards. Than, the rounds started to drift in all directions a few inches.  I didn't wait for the barrel to cool to try it again slow.  Is the accuracy that sensitive to heat?  All told, I put maybe 50 rounds thorough it and while it wasn't smokin', it was really hot.  This is my first AR15.  I'm used to bolt action arms and pretty slow fire.  Also, not used to seeing flames out the barrel in full daylight.  I can understand why a flash guard would be nice to have.  I should of bought an AR15  years ago.  My "cool" factor as a Granddad has gone way up!  Grandma thinks I've gone off the deep end.  Grandma is happy that I sold the FJ1200 though......
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh man you sold the bike! The FJ1200 has got to be the sweetest bike I have ever rode! Lot's of power and yet very comfortable. I put motor oil under the handgaurds on my M4, it'll smoke after a quick 30 rds of so.  I only wish it has a third position on that slector switch.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
just have somebod[:D]y show you how to bump-fire
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top